News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

I haven't made it out to Butterfield to see the new course, but it has generated a lot of discussion around town, mostly favorable, except for some chatter about a few wacky greens.  Has anybody played it?  Have some comments on it?  Have some photos of the course?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

Also keen to hear color and get back out there and see for myself.  Very good piece of property, particularly by pancake flat Chicago standards...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

Terry,

I haven't seen it in person. But I've heard mixed reviews from friends who have played it.
H.P.S.

Brian Joines

Google maps has an updated aerial of Butterfield that shows it post-restoration. I've never played there so I don't know what it looked like before but those bunkers certainly look like Smyers work. The green shapes look very interesting. I find it interesting that there is such a mix of rounded and squared off edges.

Hopefully someone has played it and can chime in.

George Freeman

Those greens look really eclectic and funky, in a good way!

The course looks very interesting from the air.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Mark Smolens

I rode around with Alex Mendez the day before it opened. Looks incredible. I've heard that many of the senior members hate it (too hard, especially some of the bunkers). Pretty cool that the club obtained a grant from the county for the redesign in regards to increased stormwater detention capability (which had previously been a problem there, particularly on the holes located on the north side of the property). 27 holes is definitely a plus in my book.

Bill Seitz

Those greens look really eclectic and funky, in a good way!

The course looks very interesting from the air.

Wow, that's the first time I've looked it up and those are pretty crazy looking.  What's interesting is that they seemed to be dispersed fairly evenly over the property, which is to say it doesn't look as if it's routed such that one of the nines has squared off greens while the other are more traditional.  More like just 27 holes as opposed to three distinctly different nine-hole courses.  Really looks like it would be fun to play. 

I knew Mark had played there, but I wasn't sure if it was before or after the renovations.  Must have been before. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back