News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Top Ten Post-modern - voting ends Sunday
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2011, 10:35:02 AM »
Other than the posts of the GCA cancerTM, whom it would seem delights in spoiling yet another fun GCA thread....

.....I think this thread has been a fun exercise and an overall positive.  I haven't seen the least bit of bias from the originators, Ben and Tom, and its a shame that one bad apple can potentially spoil the basket.  Taking these informal polls is what adds interest to this site, and the results are just that....informal.

After looking over that results list, no doubt it has indeed been a Golden Age for architecture recently and I think its awesome for the future of the game!

Jim Colton

« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
John,

How's the data collection going?

I checked the list and I've played golf with 22 of the 116 voters. If I exclude those 22 votes, here is the top 10:

1. Sand Hills
2. Pacific Dunes
3. Barnbougle Dunes
4. Ballyneal
5. Friar's Head
6. Rock Creek
7. Old Macdonald
8. Cape Kidnappers
9. Ellerston
10. Lost Farm

If you only use the 55 or so ballots that were shared publicly on this and the other thread, you get the following top 10:

1. Sand Hills
2. Pacific Dunes
3. Barnbougle Dunes
4. Ballyneal
5. Wolf Point
6. Friar's Head
7. Old Macdonald
8. Rock Creek
9. Cape Kidnappers
10. Ellerston

Kalen, I agree it has been a pretty good run! Throw Streamsong x 2, Cabot Links and DR 2 into the mix and the list is going to be at least 20 deep. I mean Bandon Dunes was hailed when it opened and it's sitting at #19!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:57:46 AM by Jim Colton »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Just to be clear... :D  I'm not attempting any pot stirring...

...but I was wondering if Black Mesa was ever nominated.

I recall reading a lot of great threads on it when I 1st joined this site years ago, and wondered how it stacks up from those who have played other courses that made the top 25.

Thanks in advance,

JC Jones

« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »

And this group is one that appreciates the architecture, not the cart girls or steak tar-tar appetizers on the 12 tee.

Speak for yourself.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
Jim:

I support your efforts and, again, thank you for the time spent.  This was all in fun.

I'm not really concerned about any one course or designer as few, if any, in the field have seen all of the candidates, and certainly never under the same conditions.  Since you mention DR, lets use it and explore a bit further.  How many people have played it at all, and how many have played it recently?  Should recent players have a higher curve?  Would things change if more people had played it, or played it today?  Would its placement have increased or decreased?  Can a golfer separate apples from oranges?  How many follow the herd?  The answer to all is "who knows" - that's why this and all other ratings are subjective and all in fun.  Unfortunately, many use ratings in marketing and both magazines and clubs certainly use ratings for commercial purposes.  Fact is, in many cases, ratings do little to drive or demonstrate economic success and, these days, that may be more important than anything. 

No golf ratings are scientific. Rather, they are emotional and subjective.  There are no player statistics to compare like in baseball, or basketball.  All courses are different - thank goodness.  The only thing important is that individuals like what they like, and individuals like being liked.  Most people won't fully agree on what they saw looking at the exact same thing at the exact same time.  I've long held that the rating "game" has really hurt golf, as people put others down due to a silly "my course is better than your course" arguments due to subjective ratings.  Who wants to "bother" to play something not in the "in crowd" - who wants to help "promote" such things.  Some owners (like us) are stubborn thinking our club is "worth" more and limit access to people and ignore the real and current market conditions.  How many "exclusive" clubs are filling play today with "limited play" from outsiders?  I know of quite many, and we are included.  Part of our vision is making our place accessible to all but, like it or not, economics plays a part of the business today - a very, very big part.  Tons of our "guests" come from, or are heading to, Sand Hills, Prarie Club, Ballyneal, Awarii, Wild Horse, and Bayside - I think that is cool and wish we would be smart enough to develop this better - here too, stubborness is in the way.  I was a member of the Snake River Sporting Club - absolutely outstanding course, fun, completely economically unviable, now closed.  Now unrated.  No more fun.

Some places like Sand Hills were category changers like Ping with cast/perimeter weighted irons, Taylor Made with metal woods, and Callaway with expanded heads.  As Ely Callaway once said...in the end "we sell toys" and "we sell fun".  Anyone (besides Eric Smith) still playing a tour spoon? Big or Great Big Bertha?  Eye 2's? 

I very much agree with J.C. as to perceived conflicts, but believe subjective results among friends, like any other rating, must be taken with a grain of salt.  Did Michael Jordan get a few calls?  Probably. Is this a definitive vote?...nope.

Here is my take - Tom Doak is an outstanding designer, quite arguably the very best of this era. He is also good friend of mine and has started a course for us, so please assume my comments are biased.  We chose Tom to do our new course due to his character, artisitic ability, body of work and, yes, commercial value.  We are very pleased to have Tom and Don and we are underway.   Will our new course crack a rating?  Will it be "better" than anyhing else?  Given the results herein published, with Tom presumably in their pocket, why did Ballyneal not choose Tom, or Bill and Ben, for their second course?  Why not Nuzzo, DeVries, or the other dozen terrific designers out there?  If you want another Doaklike course, why not Doak?  Do I believe Tom's help here helped lead to the result?...nope.  Am I suspicious of Colton's affiliation with Ballyneal?...nope. Tom's courses are just cool, and thats cool.  I see no grand conspiracy.

Jim - I simply wanted to see the full list to see what places received respect but were eliminated due to low turnout.  I'm a big fan of Cinderella - I like underdogs and hidden gems.  I'd never even heard of Ellerston. I hope to someday get an invite to play Wolf Point (Don!!!).  Was surprised the Pete Dye Golf Club wasn't well received - hard to get on, bad design or another compelling reason?

Let's take the results and all ratings for what they are, and celebrate the great courses and a great game.  Thanks again to Jim and Tom.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »

I recall reading a lot of great threads on it when I 1st joined this site years ago, and wondered how it stacks up from those who have played other courses that made the top 25.

Thanks in advance,

Yes BM was included and I rated it a * .  I do love it but was only able to rate eight or so of the total so I needed to exercise some restraint for the greater unknown.  

Greg Tallman

« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
Chris, Pete Dye Golf Club opened in 1993 I believe.

EDIT: Just looked at their website and it says 1995 though I know that is not all that accurate. I know that it was open and being played by many during the summer of 1994.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:34:13 AM by Greg Tallman »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »

Thanks in advance,

Yes BM was included and I rated it a * .  I do love it but was only able to rate eight or so of the total so I needed to exercise some restraint for the greater unknown.  

Thanks for that Matt,

I have a friend who lives in New Mexico and I really need to get down there to spend a long weekend and take in BM amongst others.  I've heard fall is a great time as everything starts to get crisp and the contrast is nice.

Kalen

Garland Bayley

« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »
Well, I've been traveling all day today, and just got to an airport lounge to see all the fur fly.

First off, a lot of people here owe Jim Colton an apology.  All he did was offer to volunteer his own valuable time to input the data from all you experts, and he's gotten mostly grief for taking the trouble.  ...

+1
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
why did Ballyneal not choose Tom, or Bill and Ben, for their second course?  Why not Nuzzo, DeVries, or the other dozen terrific designers out there?  If you want another Doaklike course, why not Doak?

Chris:

I can answer that part.  Rupert believes he made a great business decision to hire me when he did, back when my design fee was lower.  But since he already "owned" my name, I think he wanted a different name for the second course, which is prevailing wisdom in the golf business, as you well know.  [And, with all respect to Mike Nuzzo and Mike DeVries, I think Rupert was right to consider several of my associates as good alternatives to design the course on their own, and I hope it works out for Bruce.] 

I'm sure Jack Nicklaus is wondering the same thing about the second course at Dismal.  For that matter, I think Mike Keiser would have hired someone else for Old Macdonald if he didn't think he could finesse it as a "[Macdonald]/Doak/Urbina design" instead of a Doak design.  I don't agree with that point of view; I think the same designer can produce a second course that's completely different than his first, and I was happy to have the chance to prove that at Old Mac, with Jim's help.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
Nice Andy T.
And this group is one that appreciates the architecture, not the cart girls or steak tar-tar appetizers on the 12 tee.
I value this group's opinion above any other group.
Cheers

Who has steak tartar appetizers?   I always get a bit hungry and perhaps peckish at that point in a round.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
Nice Andy T.
Cheers

Who has steak tartar appetizers?   I always get a bit hungry and perhaps peckish at that point in a round.

Of all the courses I've played Gozzer wins in this category.  It has two snack shacks and a grill area (not including the shop at the turn)....all as you play along the course.  Its the ultimate in play a few holes, relax for 20 minutes, play a few more, rinse and repeat!

The frozen Huckleberry ice pops after finishing the 18th hole was the most pleasant surprise though!  ;D

Chris Johnston

« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
Tom - You have lower design fees?  Just kidding, my friend!  Great Chefs do come with a price but quality sells. 

I think Bruce will do a great job on BN2 as well!  He is a quality guy and it is really great to see him get this opportunity. When is he starting?  Ballyneal is an important place in the golf world.

You are very humble but I agree Jack would have done a nice job on DR2.  Same with TW.  Having the first Doak course in the Sand Hills just meant something special to me, and the routing proved it a wise decision.  I'm glad you argued/pushed/cajoled,jabbed/pinched/pouted to cross the road. 

Tell Brian the cows have been busy and the bunker is underway. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
Tom - You have lower design fees?  Just kidding, my friend!  Great Chefs do come with a price but quality sells. 

I think Bruce will do a great job on BN2 as well!  He is a quality guy and it is really great to see him get this opportunity. When is he starting?  Ballyneal is an important place in the golf world.

You are very humble but I agree Jack would have done a nice job on DR2.  Same with TW.  Having the first Doak course in the Sand Hills just meant something special to me, and the routing proved it a wise decision.  I'm glad you argued/pushed/cajoled,jabbed/pinched/pouted to cross the road. 

Tell Brian the cows have been busy and the bunker is underway. 

You had Weiskopf in the hunt for the second course?  ;)

Andy Troeger

« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »
Nice Andy T.
Cheers

The group appreciates a certain type of architecture--and in fairness I tend to lean that way myself. The three courses that I gave *** to included two Doaks (Rock Creek and Pac Dunes) and one C&C (Bandon Trails). However, this group would add more value IMO if it had a broader base instead of focusing a large percentage of its collective energy into a few architects and their work. Those folks going to Rock Creek without seeing Gozzer Ranch (assuming the opportunity exists of course) make a huge mistake.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Andy, I think the game of golf would be healthier and quality golf course architecture better appreciated if more golfers were like you. Just from your posts over the years, you seem to have very good taste and sound insight, but also a wide ranging acceptance of high quality work in its many forms. 

Peter

Andy Troeger

« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
Peter,
Thank you--that might be the nicest comment I can recall receiving on GCA. Its certainly the first time anyone has ever said my name and "good taste" in the same thought!  ;)

If I can add about a tenth of the sound insights you contribute here I will be doing well. Cheers!

JC Jones

« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2011, 12:06:35 AM »
Peter,
Thank you--that might be the nicest comment I can recall receiving on GCA. Its certainly the first time anyone has ever said my name and "good taste" in the same thought!  ;)

If I can add about a tenth of the sound insights you contribute here I will be doing well. Cheers!

Be careful not to inflate that man's ego.  He can be dangerous.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
Andy, I think the game of golf would be healthier and quality golf course architecture better appreciated if more golfers were like you. Just from your posts over the years, you seem to have very good taste and sound insight, but also a wide ranging acceptance of high quality work in its many forms. 

Peter

But Peter, Andy does not have a proper perspective on water hazards! For example, he gave Bandon Trails ***, with that unnecessary man made pond interfering with the enjoyment of playing golf there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:13 PM »
Seeing how we are talking about Andy...I've taken a few trips with him and I can geniunly say I haven't met anyone else who is more analytical and truly thoughtful about the courses he plays and diligently tries to give an honest ranking to the best of his abilities.

Sure we disagree on some concepts here and there, but his opinions are always based in logical thought processes and you can't ask for more when it comes to being a rater.

My hat is off to Mr. Troeger!

Sean Leary

« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
Seeing how we are talking about Andy...I've taken a few trips with him and I can geniunly say I haven't met anyone else who is more analytical and truly thoughtful about the courses he plays and diligently tries to give an honest ranking to the best of his abilities.

Sure we disagree on some concepts here and there, but his opinions are always based in logical thought processes and you can't ask for more when it comes to being a rater.

Troeger butt boy....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »

Troeger butt boy....

Hey,

Everyone needs at least one or two groupies right?   ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Okay, I'll say it -  I love Andy Troeger!

JC - I'm not being brought down by your negativity!  I'm a pina colada pink, remember, while you're a crab-applely green.

Garland - in fact, it was Andy's high grades for Trails that reminded me of his good taste. (But, needless to say, I am juding only from pictures...sigh). When a course is deemed 'boring' by some, I know that it must be good!

Scott Warren

« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
It would be interesting to look at the data and see which course has the greatest difference between the average score given by its members and the average given by non-members.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
Garland,
Keep in mind that Pacific Dunes has a big pond...its right of #4, left of 11 and 13. I suppose its natural enough, but its rather annoyingly large. I had no idea that the pond on #11 Trails was man-made...and I wouldn't care one way or the other as its fairly tasteful. Its not the best hole on the course, but I like how having TONS of room left makes most golfers play so cautiously as to perhaps cost them almost as many shots as if they'd challenge the water in the first place.

Thanks Peter and Kalen. I've at least got a few of you fooled! The real test to get into the fan club is correct pronunciation of my last name!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back