News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Gil Hanse may design it but......
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:00:59 AM »
It takes a lot of effort to create the canvas upon which a golf architect can show his magic..

Just check this out, now that Bandon is way in the radar.

Is there an overwhelming public benefit? I think so!!!

http://www.bandonwesternworld.com/articles/2011/07/14/news/doc4e1f6b0b6e452623974785.txt

It's all about the golf!

JC Jones

Re: Gil Hanse may design it but......
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »
One of the primary objectives of the proposed Bandon Biota golf courses is to make top quality, affordable golf available to all Oregonians

How long before the green fee goes from $35 to $160?  What is "affordable"?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Seems like a win, win, win for all.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
Look at his record. Bandon Dunes was to have $35 green fee. What is it now?
The dependence here is on a private entity always providing a public good. What's the track record on that?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
From what I've read there is going to be a sliding scale with local residents getting a big discount. Bandon Dunes at $35 (if that is in fact true) is irrelevant. The course which could be worried is Dan Hixson's Bandon Crossings.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
From what I've read there is going to be a sliding scale with local residents getting a big discount. Bandon Dunes at $35 (if that is in fact true) is irrelevant. The course which could be worried is Dan Hixson's Bandon Crossings.

Can only report what Goodwin wrote.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
"Overwhelming public benefit" is a phrase that means different things to different people but, basically, you need to show that the land you're trading is worth more [to the public, environmentally, value-wise, or even all three] than the land you're getting.

I've been involved in a couple of projects that tried to do these land swaps and they are tough to do.  [Neither of the ones I was involved with ever happened.]  However, Mr. Keiser has a lot of credibility out there, and if anyone can pull such a deal off, it would be him.

I remember Mike saying that when he bought the property for Bandon Dunes, he put the odds of getting permits at about 1 in 3.

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
Did Mike Keiser ever say his intent was to keep the fee at BD $35 forever?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »

Nope.

So, whats your point? :D

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »

Sounds more romantic than "We're going to build the next CCFAD" 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »

Pete, you're right on that point!  Sounds like it will be right next door to them!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »
JC - Bandon hardly represents a CCFAD....

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »
I agree.  The $1800/night suites, $200 rounds of golf, and $300 bottles of Opus One clearly represent an "everyman's" golfing experience.  Bandon is truly as rustic as it gets.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »

Pete, you're right on that point!  Sounds like it will be right next door to them!

I am not sure what the true local rate is, but the Oregon resident rate is the same as the resort guest rate, and not available during peak season, according to the Bandon website. Active duty military, though, get a steep discount, from what I have been told. $50 in March, and whatever the given rate might be during other public rate times; I would assume it might be a little lower in January time and more during May.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
I think the idea of the local discount is a great idea to give back to the local community. I am an Oregonian therefore I get the discounted rate at BDGR, but I think that the locals deserve even more which BDGR can't offer. I think the idea of separate course that plays the same style of golf but at a lower rate would allow the local to enjoy a bit of what contributes to their economy. Bandon/Coos Bay are overall depressed towns and even the $75 winter rate is too much for many.

However knowing the state parks system, I would bet they don't do the deal unless everyone in the state gets the discount. Either way, God Bless you Mr. Keiser!
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Mike Jansen

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 12:04:09 AM »
Seems like the locals are pissed about this, and also unhappy with Bandon Dunes existence, cliaming Keiser has already taken up enough of their coast and that no one benefitted but himself.  Honest, I find that hard to believe.  The number of jobs that has created and the number of golfers spilling into that area, should be a big positive.

As a golfer, I say build it!  It will not destroy the property, only enhance it!

When it's time to pick your architect I'm your man!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »
Mike J;
Best to watch generalizations, I think, regarding what ANY population thinks about ANYTHING. 
Which locals do you identifiy?  The businesses in the area? The ranchers? The counterculture types?  The caddies and BDGR employees?
I know one woman in the area....retired school teacher, thoughtful, kinda liberal, who is of the opinion that the local Bandon community doesn't benefit enough from the success of BDGR.  I have the hardest time convincing her of the economic benefit that no doubt is felt in the community, or of the hundreds of thousands of dollars that Mr. and Mrs. Keiser donate annually to educational, environmental, and social-need groups here, contributions that are reported in the local press.  She, IMO, turns a blind eye to what is obviously, to me at least, of great benefit to all of us.  I think I would, in general, agree that the counterculture/'environmental' types are the groups most likely to have some resistance, as they tend, I believe, to see any venture of this sort as something to immediately object to.  But certainly that resistance is not seen across the spectrum, here.  Nor is it a dominant position, IMO.
It's a big world, even here in little old Bandon.
Tom
the pres

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Tom J,

I'm not taking sides here because I don't near enough about the actual impact.

But I can say this though, because I have family/friends who live in small towns...and they've said this:

Many folks like living in small towns because they want to get away from all the fuss and muss.  They don't care about big business coming in and bringing the crowds with them.  For them it really isn't about the extra money...its about forgoing that for a small town/rural environment where everyone knows their neighbor and things stay low key.  I don't know how many folks in Bandon feel this way, but I'm guessing there are more than a handful...especially the ones that were living there long before BDGR was around.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »

I know one woman in the area....retired school teacher, thoughtful, kinda liberal, who is of the opinion that the local Bandon community doesn't benefit enough from the success of BDGR. 
Tom

Tom, Sounds typical.

Reagan's speech, comes to mind, where he said words to the affect that "It's not that the Democrats are ignorant, it's just what they think they know, isn't so."
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Kalen;
Understood, and thanks.
Tom
the pres

William_G

It's all about the golf!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »

I know one woman in the area....retired school teacher, thoughtful, kinda liberal, who is of the opinion that the local Bandon community doesn't benefit enough from the success of BDGR. 
Tom

Tom, Sounds typical.

Reagan's speech, comes to mind, where he said words to the affect that "It's not that the Democrats are ignorant, it's just what they think they know, isn't so."

Reagan? Really? You're going to drag out someone who took the country backwards? It's not that the Republicans are ignorant, it's just what they think they know was told them by Faux News.
 :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back