News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Bandon Trails #18 sodcut and bulldoze pics
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
When do the courses at Bandon become sacred ground?

"Sacred ground" is a phrase that consists of two words that, when put together, have caused more grief, havoc and loss of life than one could ever mathematically determine.  The Middle East, for one example, is riddled with "sacred ground", none of it particularly useful for golf, unfortunately...

I don't know Terry, isn't Palestine made up of primarily sandy based soil.... 8)

Now that I think of it, you're right.  And we could move a lot of dirt around and make something with it.  Perhaps we could use some of the piles of rubble from the bombed buildings to simulate dunes, like the did with the phosphate "leavings" at Streamsong!   8)
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael George

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
I think some changes to the other Bandon courses would be great.  Nothing out there is currently in the sacred cow status.

Bandon Dunes - #5 widen the area to the left so it is a plausible driving option off the tee; #9 do something to create more interest because it is a boring hole (maybe create a double fairway now that the driving range is gone); #18 - move the fairway and green along the ravine to create a more interesting finish.  That hole absolutely wastes the wonderful ravine.

Pacific Dunes - #1 lower the tee to enhance tee shot (hitting out of a shoot) and get rid of bunkers left and right - this hole just does not feel like a Doak opener - really is more penal than strategic with the left and right bunkers in the fairway; #16 get rid of the back left bunker.  I like quirk and fun, but that bunker is over the top.  I will bet that 75% of players in the bunker pick up rather than finish the hole because they cannot keep the sand shot on the green and end up in the depression to the right of the hole.  This green is twice as severe as #14 at Bandon Trails, yet Bandon Trails get the criticism.  Average players picking up is never a good thing in golf course design.

Old Macdonald - #9 and #11 - I just don't think they work as well as they could.  #9 just does not feel or play like a Cape.  Was my least favorite hole on the course.  #11 - the drive just does not give you the risk/reward feel of the Road hole.  I know they tried to use some gorse.  Maybe this would be the place for lowering the tee and making a semi-blind tee shot.

Tells you how great I think Bandon is when these are my suggestions.  

#18 at Bandon is far and a way the biggest MUST change at the resort now.  Just a huge let down after a wonderful round and a waste of a wonderful feature with the ravine to the right.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:57:54 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

William_G

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
I think some changes to the other Bandon courses would be great.  Nothing out there is currently in the sacred cow status.

Bandon Dunes - #5 widen the area to the left so it is a plausible driving option off the tee; #9 do something to create more interest because it is a boring hole (maybe create a double fairway now that the driving range is gone); #18 - move the fairway and green along the ravine to create a more interesting finish.  That hole absolutely wastes the wonderful ravine.

Pacific Dunes - #1 lower the tee to enhance tee shot (hitting out of a shoot) and get rid of bunkers left and right - this hole just does not feel like a Doak opener - really is more penal than strategic with the left and right bunkers in the fairway; #16 get rid of the back left bunker.  I like quirk and fun, but that bunker is over the top.  I will bet that 75% of players in the bunker pick up rather than finish the hole because they cannot keep the sand shot on the green and end up in the depression to the right of the hole.  This green is twice as severe as #14 at Bandon Trails, yet Bandon Trails get the criticism.  Average players picking up is never a good thing in golf course design.

Old Macdonald - #9 and #11 - I just don't think they work as well as they could.  #9 just does not feel or play like a Cape.  Was my least favorite hole on the course.  #11 - the drive just does not give you the risk/reward feel of the Road hole.  I know they tried to use some gorse.  Maybe this would be the place for lowering the tee and making a semi-blind tee shot.

Tells you how great I think Bandon is when these are my suggestions.  

#18 at Bandon is far and a way the biggest MUST change at the resort now.  Just a huge let down after a wonderful round and a waste of a wonderful feature with the ravine to the right.

Michael

I'll get pics of your changes when they start. :)
It's all about the golf!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
William,

Did you manage to snap any photos of 14?  I've been really curious as to even the widening of the green a few years ago?  When I worked there, it was in it's original incarnation - one of my favorite holes on property.  I am even more curious to see it's next iteration.  16? 

It sounds like you didn't play today?

Cheers

Maybe a bit wider on the left than when you were last there...

If you primarily hit the ball left to right, this hole is not good for that.

love 14

on 16 the front left of the green is about 3 feet higher and the fairway bunker is gone at about 110 out

I wish they hadn't done anything to 14...but, if they did change anything, I wish the depression left was maintained as green to bring the left and long more into play on the approach.  It would be a really neat two-tiered green separated by that vertical ridge.

Cheers

This fescue you are playing on. Don't need the green extended. Just hit it there and putt it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Will Lozier

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
William,

Did you manage to snap any photos of 14?  I've been really curious as to even the widening of the green a few years ago?  When I worked there, it was in it's original incarnation - one of my favorite holes on property.  I am even more curious to see it's next iteration.  16?  

It sounds like you didn't play today?

Cheers

Maybe a bit wider on the left than when you were last there...

If you primarily hit the ball left to right, this hole is not good for that.

love 14

on 16 the front left of the green is about 3 feet higher and the fairway bunker is gone at about 110 out

I wish they hadn't done anything to 14...but, if they did change anything, I wish the depression left was maintained as green to bring the left and long more into play on the approach.  It would be a really neat two-tiered green separated by that vertical ridge.

Cheers

This fescue you are playing on. Don't need the green extended. Just hit it there and putt it.

Good point...except you can't put the hole down there if not maintained as green can you?!?! ::)  Surprised you didn't consider that...how fun it would be, on occasion, to try to wedge it into a tight little halfpipe puchbowlish section.  It would be a fun putt from on the original green, and a great recovery from either fronting bunker.  It might also invite a more aggressive play from the tee from the better player even though the approach would seem easier, even from the low side of the fairway.  I think it should be done and it would necessitate only lowering the blades.

Think about it.  Having looped and played the course probably 30 times total, I think it would be fascinating twist to what people complain about and, remember, I loved the hole to begin with and thought it to be plenty "fair". 

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:07:35 PM by Will Lozier »

William_G

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
yesterday morning, moonset at Facerock

400 yd tee

flag barely seen at right 1/3 point

200 out

160 out

100 out, clearly less penal slope if short of green

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Looking good!!!!!!!!!   ;D
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

William_G

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
Yes!
It's all about the golf!

Steve Lang

Re: Bandon Trails #18 sodcut and bulldoze pics, updated pics
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »
 8) William,

so this view is no longer relevent?

nor this?

or this?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

William_G

#15 green redone...took out lots of humps, loved this diabolical green  ???

Frost delay today

#14 wider to the left, with bunker work and green bigger at front

It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back