News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Coeur D'Alene Resort Golf Course (Idaho), w/Pics - All 18 Posted
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
Matthew,

I hadnot considered the trees as a means of blocking errant shots from finding the wrong fairway. You are likely correct and no doubt this is part of GCA. Point taken.

Nonetheless, I felt the holes were over-treed and at least if the overhanging branches were cleared more good shots would be rewarded rather than penalized and the holes would play better.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of a course where the quality of the architecture was in direct relation to the price you pay.

So you don't think there is any correlation that the green fees at Sandpines are $79 in peak season when the course is

..right on the Oregon coast.
..routed thru sand dunes.
..in an excellent location.
..has a name designer.

But yet just a few dozen miles down the road, you have a handful of courses that are nearly quadruple that price in peak season...

...and this has nothing to do with the quality of the product/architecture being offered?

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of a course where the quality of the architecture was in direct relation to the price you pay.

So you don't think there is any correlation that the green fees at Sandpines are $79 in peak season when the course is

..right on the Oregon coast.
..routed thru sand dunes.
..in an excellent location.
..has a name designer.

But yet just a few dozen miles down the road, you have a handful of courses that are nearly quadruple that price in peak season...

...and this has nothing to do with the quality of the product/architecture being offered?

Maybe. But I don't think it's an entirely direct correlation. Bandon built a reputation with BD and then PD as a first class destination. Architecture was a big part of that, but not all of that. Advertising, the resort/getaway nature, and the multiple courses all differentiate it from Sandpines.

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »
Mark,

Thank you for this, another great photo tour. This course looks really boring and I will gladly continue to pass on scheduling a trip up there.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:01 AM »
Mark,

Thank you for this, another great photo tour. This course looks really boring and I will gladly continue to pass on scheduling a trip up there.

Doug,

No problem.  But you should know that by skipping it you can't tell people you've played the famous moveable floating green.  I can :) ... now that I think about it, I think that is the whole reason I played the course (though I'm sure I'm not the only one that marketing ploy has worked on).

David Kelly

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
It wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint but architecturally and aesthetically I wish they would plow this course under and give it to a real architect for a complete re-do.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »
It wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint but architecturally and aesthetically I wish they would plow this course under and give it to a real architect for a complete re-do.

David,

I don't think its that bad.  After all, the course is at least a solid 4 on the Doak Scale.

I think the main issue is, it'd be nice if the green fees were more reasonable, especially for more local play.  At nearly $200 a whack, there is no way I'd pay anything close to that to play it.  If it was $60-70, perhaps I would think about getting out there once or twice per year.

David Kelly

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:53 AM »
I don't know from the Doak scale but its a course that I would never want to play again.  Its worst offense more than anything else is that it is just boring and golfers deserve more than to just set a generic Florida course next to a beautiful setting - especially for the spondulics that they are asking.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back