News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

three days in dublin
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »
Hey everyone,

Looks like i will get a chance to play my first ever golf on the other side of the pond.  Have a business trip coming up to Dublin toward the end of October.  Will likely tack on 2-3 days at the end of it.

Looking for recommendations on where to play.   Here are a few quick things about my trip/ game is that helps.

- 6 handicap who can hit the ball fairly far (275-290 carry with Driver); grew up playing golf regularly in 20-30 mph winds so I wont be completed overwhelmed by conditions
- Willing to go outside Dublin but dont want to drive a ton
- Flight out would be 1:30pm so at least one round would need to be pretty close to the Dublin Airport

Thanks for any help

Jud_T

Re: three days in dublin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
Portmarnock is the one must-play in the area IMO...then I'd do Baltray and the Island, unless of course you had time for RCD....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Smolens

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
"Fairly far???" Carry 290 with the driver. . .  :-X

One possible addition to the list could be Royal Dublin. Wonder if they still have all the rabbits.

Actually stayed at the Portmarnock Links Hotel a couple of years ago (very nice, and they had a big screen tv in the bar where we were able to watch the PGA after driving back down from RCD

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
 The Island is probably the closest to the airport with Portmarnock second, Royal Dublin third, and Baltray fourth . These would be your flight day bests.
AKA Mayday

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
I didn't mind Royal Dublin when I played it ~11 years ago, but I remember it mostly because of the perfect weather we had after a long trip of rain!

Mark:

If you're that close, my recommendation would be to do your best and make it up to RCD for 36 holes. You won't regret it.
H.P.S.

Martin Toal

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
The road from Dublin up to Northern Ireland has been improved almost beyond recognition, so what was a bit of a pain 10 years ago is now a dawdle.

So I would echo the RCD idea. It is truly magnificent. For the other 2 days, choose from Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, The Island and Baltray (en route to RCD) and you can't go too far wrong. Royal Dublin gets overlooked because of its neighbour, but is an interesting links course which held the Irish Open in the 80s and features some interesting design features.

Kalen Braley

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
I already sent mark  a PM suggesting hit fit in RCD. If you can work out the flights, another option is to fly into Dublin and out of Belfast after playing RCD. And I always recommend playing RCD last...

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
I've only played one course in Ireland (not Royal County Down), but I would think that if you're only 1 1/2 hours from one of the top 5 courses in the world, you're nuts not to go play it (36 is the best idea!).  Especially if you don't make it to that part of the world very often.

A few years back I visited a friend who was living in London.  During the middle of the week, I flew up to Edinburgh, took the train to St. Andrews, played the Old Course, and returned to London, all in 2 days (in February no less).  I didn't know when the next time I would be in close proximity to the course and wanted to make sure I took advantage of my opportunity.

RCD all the way  ;)
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
Mark, looking for a partner? I will be in Frankfurt for business on Oct 17-20 and Oct 24-27. Looking to play golf in Dublin area on F,S and S of one weekend. Please let me know. I was able to play 36 at Portrush and 18 at RCD last October. The combo of Portmarnock, Royal Dublin and RCD could easily be done. -Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

hhuffines

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
Mark,

I just got back from Dublin last night and can offer that Royal County Down was exceptional and should be at the top of your list.  The drive is not too far and is loaded with scenery.  I would recommend Portmarnock and County Louth as well.  Portmarnock is only 15 minutes from the airport.
County Louth was the "sleeper" of my trip-lots of good stuff there!  The Island was wonderful too.

I chose to forgo Royal Dublin for the European Club and wasn't disappointed but the conditons at European Club were way too soft compared to the truer links above.  The layout is beautiful and contains lots of great holes but its hard to adjust to long irons that sit soft and even back up after bouncing shots in at other courses.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »
Mark

If you want more of a modern type championship links Portmarnock is the chap.  If you are looking for funky The Island is the chap.  If you are looking for a combo of the two and a long drive, then Co Down is the chap.  Co Louth is likely the next best after these three, it has high highs and a few quite low lows - not as consistent as the other three.  Portmarnock Links ain't bad at all, may be a decent place to stay if you want to avoid the city.  Malahide too is a good choice (very central to the north of Dublin courses) to stay and it has a good hotel in The Grand. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Will Lozier

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »
ROYAL COUNTY DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!  If it were 5 hours north you would have to go.  Truly one of the greatest golfing experiences in the world bar none.  Portmarnick is pretty special too but and if you can play 27...do so.  I passed on RDGC and the Island but the latter looked fantastic from across the estuary.  Have much fun.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »
Sean,

The Island over Baltray?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
If you don't venture beyond Louth
Portmarnock
Baltray
Island
Portmarnock Links.
Royal Dublin

In that order.

Portmarnock Links btw, is a great value.
If you venture up to Baltray, make it 36 and play Laytown and Bettystown for a cool down.

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
Sean,

The Island over Baltray?

I'm not Sean but I'd take The Island over Baltray. Maybe a question of what one's preference is--more traditional links vs. a bit of quirk. I enjoy both but The Island has quirk and great dune-scape and I enjoy that even more. And if one is playing Portmarnock I'd say Baltray is a similar style of course to Portmarnock just not as good and The Island is quite different.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »
Completely depends on how much time you want to spend in the car.  RCD is top 10 in the world, so I would make the trip.  To break it up a little, I'd do the following:

Day 1:  Wake up in downtown Dublin, drive to County Louth (which is on the way to Newcastle, though you do have to go a bit out of your way), play until it's dark.  Then either stay in the Dormie House and drive to Newcastle the next morning, or drive that night and stay at the Slieve Donnard.  

Day 2:  Play all day at RCD.  Drive back to Malahide.

Day 3:  Play 27 at Portmarnock.  

The Island is cool, but it's pretty close to Portmarnock and doesn't break up the drive as much as County Louth.  

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
Sean,

The Island over Baltray?

Jud

I would take The Island over any near Dublin course.  Even though I think Co Down a better course I would even take The Island over it considering the huge price differential.  £165 for Co Down is taking the piss.  I especially dislike the visitor bar concept and don't think I would seriously consider going back until that is changed - maybe it has already.  It seems to be a curious Irish thing to have visitor bars.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Johnson

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
Sean,

The Island over Baltray?

Jud

I would take The Island over any near Dublin course.  Even though I think Co Down a better course I would even take The Island over it considering the huge price differential.  £165 for Co Down is taking the piss.  I especially dislike the visitor bar concept and don't think I would seriously consider going back until that is changed - maybe it has already.  It seems to be a curious Irish thing to have visitor bars.  

Ciao

Excuse me for being the dumb American.  What is a visitor bar?

Also,  having never played in Europe before, is there anything I should know that I wouldnt know to ask

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 02:04:33 AM »
Mark

If there are two bars one often reserved for jacket and tie.  At County Down and Ballybunion they have (or did have) seperate bars.  One for visitors and one for members.  I think this concept is a bit naff.  Mind you Huntercombe has a members' bar, but strangely it overlooks the parking lot. 

Ciao

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »
Mark

The member vs. visitor bar exists in Ireland but is not that common at most links.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »
As of two years ago, there were separate members and visitors bars at RCD and (I believe) Portrush and Portmarnock. Not true at County Louth or The Island.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
I live in new york, and i played this stretch a few years ago.

County Down is hands down the best golf of the lot.  if golf is your sole objective, check out of Dublin and rive to RCD, stay in slieve donard, and play it over an over.  its better than the rest COMBINED.

If for some reason Dublin is your base, i'd rank em

1-Baltray
2-Portmarnock
3-island.

You have time to play them all in three days.  I'd play portmarnock twice if you want the bext champ. course.  I perfer Baltray over the Island, but i'd rec you play both if you are comitted to staying in Dublin.  baltray is straightforward quirky--Island has a couple that are really weird--i.e. poor.

would NOT play Royal Dublin

dunnoEuropean club

Ron Csigo

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Completely depends on how much time you want to spend in the car.  RCD is top 10 in the world, so I would make the trip.  To break it up a little, I'd do the following:

Day 1:  Wake up in downtown Dublin, drive to County Louth (which is on the way to Newcastle, though you do have to go a bit out of your way), play until it's dark.  Then either stay in the Dormie House and drive to Newcastle the next morning, or drive that night and stay at the Slieve Donnard.  

Day 2:  Play all day at RCD.  Drive back to Malahide.

Day 3:  Play 27 at Portmarnock.  

The Island is cool, but it's pretty close to Portmarnock and doesn't break up the drive as much as County Louth.  

I second Carl's propsed itinerary.  If you're in Dublin, make the drive to RCD and play it the entire day.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
I wouldn't put it ahead of any of the other courses mentioned here (I don't know about Portmarnock Links), but Royal Dublin, while not a favorite, is worth playing.  It's flattish and the views are of the docks.  The industrial vistas color a lot of the reviews, I think.  It has some good history (site of Irish Opens, home of Christy O'Connor, etc.), is quite welcoming to visitors and is the only "Royal" in the republic.  And it has some challenging holes.  It's had some work done lately, on the bunkers mostly, as I recall.  It's principal virtue is being close in--not a bad way to spend an afternoon at all. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back