News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Open Championship Winner
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
Does Mike Tirico make anyone else's teeth hurt.  Just sickening.   The milking of the pathos was Olympian. 

Great win for Clarke.  He's a guy you'd really enjoy having a pint with. 

Dustin Johnson's OB shot was really astonishing.  I thought he'd hit 3-wood left of the green. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
Congratulations to Darren Clark. What a great win. I do not think many of knew he has been in emotional and lifestyle exile the last few years. It is great to see him back at the top and hopefully he will keep life in balance. Cheers to Northern Ireland for 3 great Champions. Mr. Clark you are a major champion now and forever.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »
Fantastic stuff from Darren Clarke...

...an inspiration to overweight middle-aged blokes everywhere!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Couldn't be happier about the winner--Clarke was a top 10 player in his prime and is built for links golf.  He probably should have won an Open previously--nice to see someone take advantage of his opportunity somewhat later in life, especially given his personal history.  Very cool win. 

From a viewing persepctive, I really enjoyed St. George's as an Open venue.

Martin Toal

« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
Great to see Darren win, and what a class act he was in his golf, demeanour and speech. He also acknowledged but didn't overplay the difficult times he has had.

I used to be a member at the same club as him, and remember him as a confident long hitting player who was always destined to do very well. I even played on the same team once, although, to be fair, they were hard up for players.

He will bring credit to the claret jug, and I hope he has is not done picking up big trophies.

John Kirk

« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
I finally found the proper thread.

It was a nice Open Championship, wasn't it?

I fell under the spell of Royal St. Georges along the way.

John Kirk

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »
Tom Watson (T-22), 61 years, 9 months, shoots 286.  Cementing his reputation as the guy who did it his way at the Open.

Tim Martin

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
Couldn't be happier about the winner--Clarke was a top 10 player in his prime and is built for links golf.  He probably should have won an Open previously--nice to see someone take advantage of his opportunity somewhat later in life, especially given his personal history.  Very cool win.  

From a viewing persepctive, I really enjoyed St. George's as an Open venue.

Tim-I echo your thoughts and think Darren along with Rory and GMac winning majors makes Northern Ireland the hottest spot in the golfing world. You think there will be a party at Royal Portrush tonight?  ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »
I really enjoy seeing the global field at the Open.  This seemed like a particularly entertaining player's field on a entertaining field of play.  I drew Prom Meewesat (sp?) for our Thurs., men's league pro am, and we never heard of each other...  ::) )

Darren Clarke just looks like he should win an Open... he with the jolly face and stout stature and brogue, enjoys the cigar and pint.

Sláinte!!!   ;D   
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kirk

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
Top five fave Open for me.  Clarke played the best game.  Perhaps the magic there was the two low approaches that skipped over the deadly fairway bunkers.  His putter did not disappoint.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
Well played Darren ... and well bet John! Who do you like in the PGA?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
He will go down as one of the most popular winners of the Open in our times.  Just a great guy, great grin and great game.  A four-star Open for Sandwich.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Smith

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
Well played Darren ... and well bet John! Who do you like in the PGA?

Get in line, Tim. Everyone here is anxiously awaiting the release of The Swami's next winning pick! ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
Obviously I was thrilled to see Clarke win the Open.  He's been a favorite of mine ever since the 1995 Open, and I've followed him at every tournament I attended since then.  Just a really likeable guy, and a game that just never quite clicked in the majors.  I've bet a few dollars on him to win the Open for more than five years now, and he finally paid me back.  Also had a wager on Kaymer.  I just wish I had bet a lot more.  I don't have any bets open for the PGA.

Sandwich looked great, and as Clarke said in his comments the setup was spot on.  It produced a spectacular tournament.  I suspect a lot of people are wanting to visit the Kent coast right now - I know I am.  And Walton Heath next weekend - golf in England deserves all this attention and more.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
One of my favorite Opens ever. Why?

-  John Mayhugh's bet was over the top! KFC for all of us!
    -  RSG looked even better than when we were there a few years ago. After that 36 hole day in 80 degree heat, I, and several of the others from this board were blown away by the course. Although the front nine is more distinctive and memorable, there was not a single weak hole on the entire course. The immense site of the course (not often on an open links course when you cannot see other holes as is the case here and on the back nine especially, it is because there is so much space between fairways, so much so that I swear that if they wanted to fill it in, they could have built another good 18), well placed and strategic bunkers, it's traditional firmness and the unique opening nine.
    -  Darren Clarke was so deserving and his attitude towards the game is so respectful of others and what this game is all about! I will never forget seeing the smiles on the faces of Darren and Lucas Glover on Saturday. Those guys genuinely enjoyed playing golf together. The mutual respect, the sheer joy of what they were experiencing together and those smiles said so much about the wonderful game of golf. Then Darren followed it up by saying that he enjoyed playing with Lucas so much he would be most happy if he could play every game for the rest of his life with Lucas. That kind of fellowship accompanied with the intense competitevness they showed, says so much for the game that we talk about constantly on this site. We all love to see smiles and those of Darren throughout the weekend, he and Lucas on Saturday, Phil and Darren at the presentation ceremony and even Darren and Dustin today make it all so special.
    -  How much did Mayhugh win?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »
Am really happy for Darren particularly given his personal loss a few years ago.

He seems like a guy you would love to share a pint with !!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »
I had the right idea back in January.  Now I'm wishing I had bet a bit more.

Of course, since I never win anything, I fear Clarke's in some trouble tomorrow.

SCHWING!!!!!  Congrats!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
Does Mike Tirico make anyone else's teeth hurt.

No.

But Rick Reilly does.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
Clarke is completely hammered giving his press conferences this morning....brilliant!!
Cave Nil Vino

Eric Smith

« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
Clarke is completely hammered giving his press conferences this morning....brilliant!!

This look says it all !!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/18/darren-clarke-claret-jug-open

PCCraig

« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »

That's fantastic. I can't say I would look much different!

Good for him! :)
H.P.S.

Niall C

« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
Top five fave Open for me.  Clarke played the best game.  Perhaps the magic there was the two low approaches that skipped over the deadly fairway bunkers.  His putter did not disappoint.

...the old bounce it over the bunkers shot, not an easy one to play I can tell you. I've been trying it for years.

Great to see Clarke keep his head and well played the Americans who generally outshone the Euros. The one thing in common I thought , was that all the top guys were playing within themselves and concentrating in controlling the ball rather than just hitting it as far as poss. Very Ben Curtis like from the last time around. That includes Dustin who picked his time when to go for it. He surely will win a major in the next wee while.

Niall

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
Well done Darren. Watching Saturday play he was one of the few swinging totally within himself, what I thought was around 90% and afte that round was over thought the worst he'd shoot on Saunday was even par and it would take a superb round to beat him.

I guess within Northern Ireland the best player never to have won a major is now David Feherty.

Dan King

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:57 AM »
Pete_Pittock writes:
I guess within Northern Ireland the best player never to have won a major is now David Feherty.

I think I'd give the nod to Ronan Rafferty over Feherty. If he gets into the PGA, they better watch out for Michael Hoey. With Northern Ireland completely dominating the golf world, he could be next.

Cheers,
Dan King
"The pubs over there, it's not the same atmosphere as here where everyone is looking at ESPN and whatever is on. Conversation is still alive. It's still a tremendous place to develop an imagination, which is probably why we have so many writers, poets, musicians and artists in general. When you think about it in those terms, maybe it transfers over to sports in those that require a lot of time in between shots or whatever. We have had some great snooker players.
 --David Feherty

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
Who's waiting in the wings from NI to win a Major after DC ?

Rory has got another 16 in him.

I'll take the bet that he doesn't win another 16 ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back