News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Open Championship Winner
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »
Phil McD, George P:

I don't believe I ever said Donald or Westwood was more deserving of the tag.

The best players, however, contend in majors. Stricker hasn't really done that, aside from one time.

It's hard to look past Westwood, given his form in the majors. What's he got, six wins three past two years on top of those great finishes in the majors?

Stricker has had a good career, but his major record is mediocre.

Phil McDade

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
Scott:

Donald's record in majors is more mediocre. ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2011, 10:38:32 PM »
Perhaps you can direct me to the thread where I ever mentioned Donald as a contender for the title, Phil.

The only time I have mentioned Donald in this thread was to tell George P that I agreed with his post that Donald wasn't really a contender for the title.

What I said is that Stricker is nowhere near the best player without a major. There are plenty of players with major records similar to Stricker's and Donald's and those players aren't the best in the world without a major title either!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:38:26 PM by Scott Warren »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »
I had the right idea back in January.  Now I'm wishing I had bet a bit more.

Of course, since I never win anything, I fear Clarke's in some trouble tomorrow.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 12:47:57 AM »
I have a good feeling about Rickie Fowler, he showed me today that he can handle the tough conditions. I think he will call on his Ryder/Walker cup experience to make a serious charge.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 06:22:53 AM »
I agree. Fowler played in the worst of the conditions and brought home a 68 - by far the best performance yesterday. On the other hand he didn't do all that much in the better conditions of the first two days, so we'll have to wait and see. Interestingly, the weather conditions are projected to get progressively worse today :)

And to the guy holding the Darren Clarke ticket - I'd sell it to some Irish sucker for $250 :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Phil McDade

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
Perhaps you can direct me to the thread where I ever mentioned Donald as a contender for the title, Phil.

The only time I have mentioned Donald in this thread was to tell George P that I agreed with his post that Donald wasn't really a contender for the title.

What I said is that Stricker is nowhere near the best player without a major. There are plenty of players with major records similar to Stricker's and Donald's and those players aren't the best in the world without a major title either!

Scott:

You said: "Stricker is so far out of the BPNTHWAM discussion it's not funny."

Stricker is, by a degree or two, a better contender for "best player not to have won a major" than Donald; see my reply #60. Stricker is among the five or so players who are in that conversation; others based on their career records would be Westwood, Jimenez, maybe Clarke and Garcia, probably Donald.

Phil McDade

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2011, 10:29:42 AM »
By the way, anyone watching this? Mickelson is -5 through 8 holes, tied for the lead, and has put on an impressive display of how to play links golf. Maybe not a better streaky putter in the game.

Tim Bert

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
Phil is almost done with arguably one of the best nines in major championship history. He's going to need a back nine to go with it but if you look at the conditions and the scoring of the rest of the field this has been nothing short of remarkable.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
First time in years since I leapt from my seat to cheer a putt as Clarke eagled 7. With Mickleson three stabbing 11 Mayhugh's ticket is looking good!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »
With Johnson OB on 14 John's betting slip is looking very good indeed!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2011, 12:17:10 PM »
With Johnson OB on 14 John's betting slip is looking very good indeed!

And Phil soiling his shorts on the back 9...

Tim Bert

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
Is DJ the new Phil?  How many times did we see Phil throw away a shot a a major down the stretch before he got it right?  I think that this guy will win at least one or two eventually but we will always look back at the ones that got away.  I will be rooting for him in the future now as I am starting to feel bad for him.

Congrats to Mr. Clarke and Mr. Mayhugh!

Tim Bert

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
Can Phil go 30-40?  Kind of sad that such a fine stretch of golf on the front nine will be forgotten but he has looked pretty poor on the back.

Phil McDade

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »
Is DJ the new Phil?  How many times did we see Phil throw away a shot a a major down the stretch before he got it right?  I think that this guy will win at least one or two eventually but we will always look back at the ones that got away.  I will be rooting for him in the future now as I am starting to feel bad for him.

Congrats to Mr. Clarke and Mr. Mayhugh!

He sure looks like it -- a weird shot at 14, yanking what appeared to be a layup wide right. He's like Mickelson in his 20s -- more talent in his left pinkie than most guys out there, but seems to be brain-dead at crucial moments.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
Can Phil go 30-40?  Kind of sad that such a fine stretch of golf on the front nine will be forgotten but he has looked pretty poor on the back.

I think he can, but I hope he doesn't. Phil is just suffering from missing the short putts, something that has plagued him, more than any other top player I think, for as long as I've been watching him.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »
Who's waiting in the wings from NI to win a Major after DC ?

PS: Well done John

David_Elvins

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »

He managed the impressive feat of playing the par 5s in 8 under for the tournament.  Which is a fair effort, considering there are only two of them.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

David_Elvins

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
Who's waiting in the wings from NI to win a Major after DC ?

Rory has got another 16 in him.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

noonan

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
DJ will never win a major...too aloof

PCCraig

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
I had the right idea back in January.  Now I'm wishing I had bet a bit more.

Of course, since I never win anything, I fear Clarke's in some trouble tomorrow.

John,

That's incredible. What made you think Clarke was going to win backbin Jan?
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
Mayhugh! ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Bloody marvellous!!
Cave Nil Vino

PCCraig

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
Awesome win by Darren!!!!
H.P.S.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
Incredible... no-one deserved it more this week. So happy for Clarke.

It almost makes up for another eye-aching shirt/tie combo from Watson.

Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back