News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Wright

Re: Open Championship Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
Westwood gets off the snide...

I'm with you, 100% Westwood

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »
Charl Schwartzel takes his second major.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Carl Nichols

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
Like the Jason Day pick.  But I'll go with Garcia.  (Almost picked Badds, just to go out on a limb, then realized he's never made the cut.)

Ash Towe

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
Adam Scott,  he has played well this year and seems more confident with the putter.  The question for him is can he flight the ball well enough in the predicted windy conditions.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
I'm in a fantasy league where you pick one guy a week and can only use each golfer once. For majors, you pick two.

I took Kuchar and Justin Rose.

Dick, I hate your homer Stricker pick. Know when the last time that guy finished top 5 in a major? 1999.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
Ben Curtis,

If he was cerebral enough to figure it out then, he should be an expert the 2nd time around. ;)

Carr Harris

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
David Duval

Mark Johnson

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
marty kaymer

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »
I'm in a fantasy league where you pick one guy a week and can only use each golfer once. For majors, you pick two.

I took Kuchar and Justin Rose.

Dick, I hate your homer Stricker pick. Know when the last time that guy finished top 5 in a major? 1999.

How many top 5s does Kuchar have in The Open?

How many made cuts?

Answers: zero (best finish - 27th last year) and one (out of six opportunities in 12 years). At least Stricker has two top 10s in The Open!

I will gladly take Stricker over Kuchar, head to head, in a gentleman's bet. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:52:22 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brian Finn

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
KJ CHOI
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
It's finally Lee Westwood's time.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
I don't think Rory is the safe pick at all. The pressure on him will be enormous. But like Palmer in 1960, if this is his breakthrough year, two majors is not out of the question. I think he can do it.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Matthew Rose

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
I think it'll be a left-field winner... possibly a Swede or a Frenchman or something like that. Perhaps an Aussie.

Would love to see Jason Day or Adam Scott win.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 05:04:33 PM »
I like Phil McDade's thinking but think it's Casey's time.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
Stricker the best player without a major? You're having a laugh!

His major record is appalling.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
He is the best golfer at this point, not to win a major, by a wide margin in my view.
I'd missed this gem. Thanks to Mr Warren for causing me to search for it.

I can see arguments why Donald and Westwood shouldn't be ranked 1 and 2 in the world without winning a Major.  I don't agree but I understand the argument.  But Stricker is better than both?  By a wide margin?  What on earth have you been watching the past couple of years?  Lunacy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Can`t wait to flip on the TV tomorrow for round 1. I love everything about the British, especially the venues and conditions. There is something almost surreal about watching the players all layered up as we swelter here on the east coast in the U.S. in mid July.

David Kelly

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
Phil Mickelson and its not even close.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Martin

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
He is the best golfer at this point, not to win a major, by a wide margin in my view.
I'd missed this gem. Thanks to Mr Warren for causing me to search for it.

I can see arguments why Donald and Westwood shouldn't be ranked 1 and 2 in the world without winning a Major.  I don't agree but I understand the argument.  But Stricker is better than both?  By a wide margin?  What on earth have you been watching the past couple of years?  Lunacy.

Mark- Lunacy is an apropos description of R J`s claim although Stricker may have the distinction of being the best golfer from Wisconsin not to have won a major. ;)

John_Conley

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »
Retief Goosen

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
As no one has picked him Trevor Immelman. He was a finalist in the Am when it was played at RSG in 1997. On another thread I picked Day and Cabrera before any other.

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »
Bubba
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
I believe my friend Dick was talking about Stricker's career in total. The old "Best player not to have won a major" used to only be applied to older players who may have past their primes, not to younger players who are just coming into their primes.

And call me crazy, but I don't think Donald's record in majors is that much more impressive than Stricker's. How many has LD really been in contention for? Not just a top 10 when someone else was running away with a tournament. I'm hard pressed to remember a single Sunday where he was really in the mix coming down the stretch. At least Stricker gave Veej a real run at Sahalee.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Lunacy is an apropos description of R J`s claim although Stricker may have the distinction of being the best golfer from Wisconsin not to have won a major. ;)

Give the man a break. He himself called it a "homer" pick!

As far as I'm concerned, Dick Daley is the best golfer-from-Wisconsin never to have won a major ... so far as I know!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
Damn, almost picked Bjorn, though no one will believe me now...

In hindsight, how could anyone overlook Tom Lewis?

Davis is not looking good, need a low score tomorrow!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back