News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Ultimate Open 18
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
http://digital.globalgolfpost.com/globalgolfpost/20110711?sub_id=CrKARbWQTItSE#pg19

Read this in today's GlobalGolfPost about Harrington and Montgomerie recently picking the best holes from the Open rota.

Here is their list:

1st  - St. Andrews
2nd - Royal Birkdale
3rd  - Carnoustie
4th  - St. Andrews
5th  - Carnoustie
6th  - Carnoustie
7th  - Royal Birkdale
8th  - Royal Troon
9th  - Turnberry
10th - Muirfield
11th - Royal Troon
12th - Royal Birkdale
13th - Royal Birkdale
14th - St. Andrews
15th - Royal St. George's
16th - Carnoustie
17th - St. Andrews
18th - Muirfield

I have only had one golfing visit to Scotland and that was a wonderful weekend at St. Andrews.

My reactions to this list are:

First I did not realize that Royal Birkdale was so highly regarded by the pros.  So how great is Royal Birkdale?

Second, is Royal Liverpool hurt by only hosting one Open played in by these two; or even if Royal Liverpool had been part of the rota for the last 20 years, would it still not have any holes on this "Ultimate 18" list?

Finally, is Royal Lytham the weakest Open course, or does it just not have any superior holes and thus gets overlooked on this type of list?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Kevin Pallier

Re: Ultimate Open 18
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Bill

I find it odd that they have chosen only one hole from Turnberry - most pro's I've read about fawn about the layout (not that I agree with them).

From the current rota I prefer the following:

1   Royal Liverpool
2   Royal Birkdale
3   Royal St. George's
4   Royal St. George's
5   Turnberry
6   Carnoustie
7   Royal Birkdale
8   Royal Troon
9   Muirfield

10   Muirfield
11   St. Andrews (Old)
12   Royal Lytham & St. Annes
13   Muirfield
14   St. Andrews (Old)
15   Royal St. George's
16   Carnoustie
17   St. Andrews (Old)
18   Carnoustie

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:04:02 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Simon Holt

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
Kevin,

On the whole I prefer your list to the other one!

By the 1st at Hoylake I take it you mean the regular 17th?  As in the hole they play the Open as 1.  Might be a silly question but just checking.  I have no time for the regular 1st to be honest.

The only one I never see as a great hole is 16 at Carnoustie.  I would much rather the 16 at the Old, Muirfield, Turnberry or RSG.

Simon
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
Simon

Actually - I am refering to #1 on the normal card re: Hoylake. I thought it was an interesting test first up - with the internal OOB on the drive and approach.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back