News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Merion Washington Times Communities Article
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
Guys:  Here is my latest blog at Washington Times Communities.  My editors over there say I need more page views, so if you wouldn't mind checking it out...

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/golf-today/2011/jul/1/merion-already-prepping-2013-u-s-open/

Please comment away there as well.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:39:52 AM by Richard_Mandell »

Joe Bausch

Re: Merion Washington Times Communities Article
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
Just got a view from me Richard.  Nicely done.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
Thanks.  I appreciate it,

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:38:39 PM »
Very nice article.So are there different grasses on different greens?

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »
Great article Richard. Merion is certainly on my must-play list. That is of course, unless the U.S.G.A butcher it in the lead up to the 2013 U.S. Open.

You mentioned that "Tom Fazio has been hired to propose whatever work he sees fit to accommodate the U.S.G.A. So far, in addition to the tee box additions for four and fourteen, other tee boxes have been added on par threes.  Unfortunately, there was absolutely no attempt to replicate the simple character of the existing Merion tee boxes in the work so far. Granted, more square footage is needed than what is currently provided but free-form, two-tier shapes clash greatly with the runways and ovals that dominate the East Course".

Do you know if Merion intend on keeping these tees for member play following the U.S. Open?
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
Mike:  there is poa annua mixed with bent yet in fairways there is a variety of grasses as well.  Unfortunately, I don't know exactly the details other than there is some rye, bent and fescue.

Ben:  I understand that the club will eliminate the new back tee for number four but don't know of any other plans for tee removal. Although the tees don't fit, I would hate to see "erasable" golf course features become a new trend.  talk about a waste of money.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
Richard: Nice article - maybe more clubs will realize that manicured bent grass fairways aren't necessary to have a top notch golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back