News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Davison

My next big thing - Updated with pictures.
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:02:05 AM »
Ok I am not Tom Doak, but I am also working on a new exciting project! I am also adding another course to an exisiting Nicklaus course, in pure sand..... as exciting as Dismal, for me yes !!!

A few pictures.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:02:50 AM by Jonathan Davison »

Tom_Doak

Re: My next big thing.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »
Jonathan:

Looks good.  Where is it?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
I'm gonna guess Florida? Either that or Foreign.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45:32 AM »
Looks Slovakian to me.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »
David, excellent guess!!! Yes its in Slovakia. About 1 hours drive from Bratislava. The whole area outside of Bratislava has a Surrey feel about it, heather, pines and sand just perfect.
Its my first solo project, after a number of years working for other architects. I think its a perfect way to start !

For the last 2 years I was working in similar ground conditions on a nice project close to Warsaw, Poland.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »
Jonathan - this looks really cool.  Congratulations!

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
Johnathon,

Congratulations! That prior project has a very classy, understated look to it. While the ground movement looks minimal, you seem to have coaxed a fair bit out of it. The ground for this next effort looks to have more opportunity to do something impressive amd memorable.
How would you describe the Slovakian golf climate, both current state and growth-potential for the country? Have you worked in other countries besides Poland in the region? If so, what are your thoughts on the future prospects for golf in those nations. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »
Kris
After a number of years in Ireland working in design and construction,I decided to go and work on a project in the Czech Republic in 2007.
When I was first contacted to work in Czech, I wasn't to enthusastic at first. Leaving Ireland, a country with a rich golfing heritage during the boom times to work in Eastern Europe really didnt appeal, until I visited. Czech was buzzing, the driving ranges were full. Kids and families playing golf everywhere !!! It was an eye opener, and it was something I wanted to be involved in.
During the Czech project we were asked to look at the site in Poland.... I never forget the first journey, overnight train from Prague to Warsaw... uncomfortable! But I couldnt believe Poland, in places it reminded me so much of Surrey. Heather, Pines and sand everywhere!
The juices were flowing without even seeing the site ! The site in Poland was flat, bordered with Pines and Heather and with pure sand, ideal situation. The one problem we had in Poland was an underground water table, water was 50cm below the ground. So basically all the golf course is fill. With a limited budget the ground movement was subtle. We wanted to create a natural traditional golf course in Poland, very different to their exisiting courses. At first I was worried about the reaction from Polish golfers, but now the course is open the comments are good. Golf in Poland is way behind Czech, Poland has less than 10,000 registered golfers, not a lot when they have a population of over 40 million. But the country is mainly sand so it has the possibility to build great cheap courses.
I am fairly new to Slovakia, I moved here a few months ago after finishing the project in Poland. In places it has a similar landscape to Poland, sand, sand and more sand ! The project is a dream, I visited the project a few years ago and couldnt believe it. A designers dream. We see what the future brings, many people are still a bit cautious in developing a golf course especially after the financial situation.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:08:26 AM by Jonathan Davison »

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
Ok I am not Tom Doak, but I am also working on a new exciting project! I am also adding another course to an exisiting Nicklaus course, in pure sand..... as exciting as Dismal, for me yes !!!

A few pictures.

Johnathon,

Please don't turn this:

into this:

:)

Looks like an awesome property to work on. Best of luck!
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
Jonathon, I just returned from a trip to Slovakia, alas no golf.  It was my fourth trip in the last ten years. The first time I went, they didn't know what golf was.  This time they proudly told me of a new course in the Tatras mountains and that more are beginning to play.  It is a country that is beginning to find its collective memory of who they were and may be a great place to play golf.  It certainly is populated by some very great people.
Good luck
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

Great thread tittle.A must read.How many months is the golf season?

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »

Great tittle. How long is the golf season?

Anthony

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
Looks nice Jonathon. Good luck and thanks for posting!

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:59:04 AM »
Anthony
I couldn't resist the title after Tom's post. The golf season is approx 7 months.

Tommy
Thank you, Slovakia is a beautiful country. I am sure you have seen a huge change during the 10 years. There is 2 courses in the Tatras with plans for another.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
Hi Jonathan,
I am just catching up here... I have been busy the past few months, "reclaiming" a golf course on behalf of the bank's liquidator in Southern Ireland... how times have changed...
I am really happy for you and no doubt this will be a "big thing".... you're still boasting, I see !!!!
The developer is fortunate to have somebody with your passion on board and no doubt you will do a great job.
I wish you well and look forward to playing the course.

Good on you,
See you soon,
KK
KK.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
go get em Johnathan, great first project oportunity, if you have a good owner, I have no dobut it will turn out even better than the projects where you worked before!! Congrats! Love the title and love the fact that TD answered first, showing once again what a class act he is!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
The site looks wonderful and wish you luck.  Google just informed me there are only 11 golf courses in Slovakia so I'm wondering will the course primarily target tourists associated with hotels or will it be a private clubs or what.

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
Thanks Ken.

I cant help boasting about this project ! Pure sand, beautiful site, 1hour from where I am living !!! Its perfect !

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
Just thought I would update the progress on the construction of my new golf course at the Penati Golf Resort, Slovakia.

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »

Hole 7 before construction.

Hole 7 shaped up, par 3 160 metres from the back.

View to the 10th green before construction.

View to the 10th green during construction, a short dogleg par 4.

View to the par 5 11th. Blind shot into the green.

Hole 11 with some bunkers shaped, green sits over the ridge.

View to hole 17, par 5.

The 17th shaped up.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:37:13 AM by Jonathan Davison »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:21:58 AM »
Jonathan:

This looks great.  If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see pictures of specific portions of the course and their progression from raw land to golf holes.  I always find that interesting and educational.

Thanks...and congratulations!

EDIT... ;D

For whatever reason, my computer didn't load the pictures you posted above the first time I went through this thread.  So right after you post pictures of specific holes and show their progression, I request you to post pictures of specific holes and show their progression.   ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:48:17 AM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
Jonathon

Great stuff. Can you give us some more info on routing etc. Interesting to know more about the design as well as the process.

Also interested to know if there were any land ownership issues. I worked with a property development company a few years ago who looked long and hard at investing/developing in Poland but eventually gave up on the idea because of the system of land tenure making development a bit of a risky business.

Niall

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
Hi Niall,

I working on a number of projects at the moment in Poland, so I understand the land issues.
Bit of history of the project, I was not involved with the project at the beginning. It was originally designed by a Slovak guy, then Nicklaus was appointed to design the first 18 and I was appointed to design the second 18. The routings basically stayed the same as most of the tree clearance was already done. I am sure the land was used by the Slovak army as a training area, so maybe it was easier in terms of buying the land.
So far we have 9 holes shaped up with seeding progressing at the moment, we are hoping to finish all seeding works this year
and open the course next August. The Nicklaus course was finished last year and will open in August. The courses will be completely different, mine is more natural and rustic with the Nicklaus course more manicured.
It will be interesting how the travelling golfers will compare the two courses especially as most golfers will have a year to
play the Nicklaus..but I am happy with the result so far and how it is progressing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:53:54 AM by Jonathan Davison »

Buck Wolter

Re: My next big thing - Updated with pictures.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »
Velmi Pekne
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

RJ_Daley

Re: My next big thing - Updated with pictures.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 02:27:02 AM »
I'll ask before Melvyn does...  ;) ;D

What are the Slovak's attitudes towards walking the golf course?  Are your designs walkable?  Do any of the Czech locals or Slovaks refer to themselves as Bohemian in this era?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back