News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Mike Riste is now posted
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
If you divide North America into four quadrants (northeast, southeast, etc.) and ask people to pick a favorite based on sheer beauty, the Northwest would surely fair at or near the top. Yet, the very images that it conjures (verdant, lush, rainy) may also explain why it historically (at least pre-Bandon) places at the bottom of the four in terms golf quality, despite the Irishman Vernon Macan's body of work and Stanley Thompson's beacon of great architecture at Capilano.

Why else the Northwest lagged, I am not sure. Macan did his best (!) yet he may have been ahead of his time. Macan's own personal favorite, which he called “his crowning jewel" and "the course I wish to be remembered by” was Shaughnessy. Yet, here is what Mike Riste, Macan's biographer and this month's Feature Interviewee, says:

"The course has changed since Mac’s death.  The members detested the sloping greens that required the run-up shot.  At Shaughnessy Mac introduced an entirely new design technique into northwest golf architecture.  He placed fairway bunkers in strategic spots near the centre of  the fairway to control the distance the players were driving the ball.  He placed extreme emphasis on the fact he believed the centre of the fairway was not the position for the player’s drive.  Mac placed a large landing area on one side of the central bunker and a smaller more challenging area on the opposite side. If the low handicap player chose the challenging side and placed his tee shot perfectly, Mac rewarded the player by sloping the green towards the player for the second shot."

Look at Macan's own multi-option drawing of the 6th at Gorge Vale found in the Feature Interview to see what is meant by center line hazards! That hole could be lifted straight from the GolfClubAtlas.com Carthage playbook  ;). However, with such features gone, so too fades away the memory of Macan ... until recent times.

Several spirited Macan threads took place earlier in the year as the result of the release of Mike's book Just Call Me Mac. In addition, we published Dale Jackson's My Home Course article on Royal Colwood  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/royal-colwood/ last fall. Just look at the photo of the 7th hole circa 1930 and you know we are dealing with a unique talent. According to Mike, Macan did it the right way too, spending lots of time on site and always making sure that the average player had means to get around while still challenging the best. In addition, Macan took great pains to deal up front with the wet chilly weather conditions as Mike details in his answer to the ninth question. (Nowadays, improvements in agronomy have helped and certain areas like Pronghorn and Bandon feature as firm and fast conditions through the green as can be found in North America).

Like George Thomas in the southwest, Macan inspires devotion once you delve into what he did for the game and his innovative mind. By shedding light on the man and his work, Mike hopes that clubs blessed with a Macan course will take note. Certainly, that has been the primary off chute from the information published on the likes of Ross and Tillinghast and their corresponding societies. As Mike notes, "Today golf clubs are showing great pride in the fact their course is a Ross, Thompson, Thomas, or Mackenzie design.  Now the Macan clubs have the opportunity to proudly display the fact their course is a Macan design."

Mike Riste's book Just Call me Mac is being sold through the www.bcgolfhouse.com website. The book is a fund-raising project to replace the roof on the British Columbia Golf Museum. Hope everyone enjoys this month's Feature Interview as it is on a man that deserves to be better known and appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob Jenkins

Re: Feature Interview with Mike Riste is now posted
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »

Ran and Mike,

Great interview! Having just spent the last few days at Sagebrush with Dale Jackson of Royal Colwood fame, it was a huge pleasure to read about the contributions of Mac to golf in this part of the world. Colwood was Macan's first course and in many eyes, one of his best. Not having seen his Oregon and Washington courses, I cannot compare but the routing at Royal Colwood is definitely special and interesting. Dale is working on a club history of Royal Colwood which will no doubt supplement "Just call me Mac" very well.

In 2 weeks, the RBC Canadian Open will be played again at Shaughnessy, Mac's final design and the course of which he was most proud. Have a look at it on TV. Many changes but the same routing as originally designed and from what I know, essentially still a Macan design, even though some of the central bunkers are gone.

Mike's book is clearly a "labor of love" and many of us on this site have now had the pleasure of reading it.

Mike's book is great and I encourage you to order a copy from BC Golf House as Ran has pointed out.

At the King's Putter in 2012, Mike Riste will join us and I suspect will be playing with us, hopefully at Sagebrush and Marine Drive.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
What a great and valuable contribution this interview is to the legacy of A.V. Macan and to GCA.  Those of us fortunate to play his courses regularly know his talents, and enjoy the legacy he left us.  My hope is the same as Mike's, that the golf world more generally studies the man and his work and gives him his due as one of the great pioneers of golf architecture in North America.

Mike Riste deserves tremendous credit for the work he has undertaken regarding Macan (and everything else related to golf in the Northwest).  Quite simply our understanding of the history of the courses and people in the Northwest would be flawed and still in its infancy without Mike's work.

Mike has put a spotlight on Macan with the publication of his biography, I only hope I can contribute some small measure of additional information with the publication of Royal Colwood's history in 2013.

I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:11 AM »
As I've said many times before, my hat's off to Mike Riste for all of the effort he's given to bringing Mr. Macan's story to light. It's an important one that had definitely been lost over time. Thanks again, Mike.

I like Ran's regional comparison between George Thomas (So. Cal.) and Vernon Macan (Pac. NW). It makes a lot of sense. And, unfortunately, Thomas' and Macan's original designs were similarly treated during the post-World War II era; bastardized for the most part. This lead to a complete misunderstanding of their important contributions to golf and the breadth of their talents until recently.

I'm fortunate to be consulting on restorative-based work at two courses Mr. Macan designed: Victoria (BC) Golf Club and Overlake Golf and Country Club (Seattle). My hope is that, when complete, these projects will also bring attention to Mr. Macan's talents and deservedly enhance his legacy. It's not a stretch to say that Macan's earliest golf course designs, in particular, set a proper standard for golf in the Pacific Northwest which permitted people in the region to properly learn and understand the game at an important time. 

Hoping this might instigate others to order a copy of Mike's book, here's a link to an article published in Golf Course Architecture last year: http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/AV-Macan-Canada%E2%80%99s-democrat-of-golf/1760/Default.aspx This is a condensed version of the Macan story which appears in my Long-Range Golf Course Improvement Plans for Victoria and Overlake. There's so much more in Mike Riste's book... get a copy.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back