News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Cold Springs on Long Island
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »
Whaddya know about this course? I was just invited to play there and I have never hard of it. Their website has me very interested. Seems the original course was a private golf course on the estate of a guy named Otto Kahn. Who built it? Who renovated it and when?

http://www.coldspringcc.org

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:52:58 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tom_Doak

Re: Cold Springs on Long Island
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »
Bill:

Seth Raynor built it, although it has been changed a fair amount over the years as they tried to soften it for more outside play.  It's pretty rough around the edges, but there is some cool stuff there.  And, seeing the back of Mr. Kahn's mansion is pretty impressive in its ownself.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »
Thanks, Tom. That makes sense since Raynor was local. I am just surprised that it was not mentioned in The Evangelist. I wonder what year Raynor built it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »
At one time, OHEKA was the largest private residence in the U.S.

It's a wonderful estate/mansion, now used for weddings, parties, etc., etc..

The golf course is visible behind the mansion.

George_Bahto

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »
They have a great closing day tourney - Seth Raynor Day - pomp and circumstance for sure

Bill the reason it is not in The Evangelist of Golf is that that book contains course reviews of courses Macdonald may have been involved with.

The great story of Otto Kahn, his 129-room mansion and the course Raynor built is about Raynor courses and will be in that book.

This is one of the most fascinating stories you'll read about - Kahn was incredible

actually, Kahn put in most of the fairway bunkering himself - I'm sure Raynor was not happy ....... talk about an 800-pound gorilla - what was Raynor to say?

one short story about Kahn:  He was near as large as J P Morgan on Wall Street and every day going to work his chauffeur would take him to the local docking area where he would take one of his yachts

process reversed in the evening
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

JWinick

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
I can shed some light as my parents are members at this club.   Cold Spring sits on a great piece of property, but the membership has neglected the golf course for years.   The greens need to be completely redone and the bunkering is outdated.   

A few years ago, the club was for sale and many members joined the club as a real estate play.   However, with the collapse of the residential market and a town moratorium on golf course development, the golf course was saved.  Now, the plan is to build townhomes along the 17th hole in a partnership with the owner of the castle.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
According to the website, RTJ redid the course in 1968 and hotel guests have playing privileges:

www.oheka.com

What a place!!!

Cold Spring CC still claims it's a Seth Raynor design on their scorecard on their website. I wonder how much Raynor is left there after RTJ.

www.coldspringcc.org
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

J Sadowsky

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
If you watch the show Royal Pains, you can see a part of the course from many of the high angle shots.  Ohkea Castle is used for exterior shots of "Shadow Pond," the faux Hamptons estate of Boris Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz, where the characters live.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back