News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Yee-ha! Finished and posted my Open Championship preview!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
Jay,

I purposely avoid the reading of the writing of golf because it consistently disrupts my usual good mood.  Well my friend, today you rescued my soul from the bowls of despair, that only AAU basketball can induce, before the end of your first paragraph. Thank you as I for one do heart me some Flemma this day.  I'm slugging beers in the very hope I will soon relieve myself with a two handed Vardon grip as I think of you.  Keep it up.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
Hysterical, Barney! :o :D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »

I remember the day when I used to look forward to the Open, nowadays it just seems like an extension of the Ugly American Tour.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:38:29 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
BTW - David Kelly, I most certainly did NOT make up the quote from Candace.  If you play back your tape/DVD of the broadcast you'll hear her say exactly what was quoted.  "Oh Ben!  This is so great!"  And Vijay saying watch out for Curtis is definitely interesting.

I'll have an interview with Curtis later during the week.

I also love how he was hitting balls and his caddie walked up and simply said, "Ben you're the Open champion and he just put his club in his bag, like it was any Sunday in Ohio.  Great guy.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Terry Lavin

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »

I remember the day when I used to look forward to the Open, nowadays it just seems like an extension of the Ugly American Tour.

Just when I thought Jay's "and I love it" reference to his own blog post was one of the stupidest things I've read on gca you go and top it. Xenophobia at its apogee.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »
Terry, I am perfectly entitled to like my own work.  As no less a personage than Dan Jenkins said, when describing both himself and Bob Drum, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a man sitting at his desk laughing at his own copy.

He followed that with, "if Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, or Gary Player said half the things we attributed to them, they'd have had their own lounge act in Vegas.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
Terry, I am perfectly entitled to like my own work.  As no less a personage than Dan Jenkins said, when describing both himself and Bob Drum, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a man sitting at his desk laughing at his own copy.

He followed that with, "if Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, or Gary Player said half the things we attributed to them, they'd have had their own lounge act in Vegas.

To paraphrase a great line from a presidential debate, "you, sir are no Dan Jenkins."  Second,  I could care less if you screamed like a cheerleader when you typed "30" and hit send when you finished your blog.  We don't need to see evidence of your phlegm-loosening pat on your own back here on this site.

We could always go to your site.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
Not that Mr. Ewen needed to stoop to the gutter to offer his offended Euro point of view about the ugly americans...

Let's just have fun next week.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
Thanks, Terry, but I'm happy who I am, GCA-love or not.  Hope you have as much fun next week as I'm having now and will have.  Terry, I like you and I respect you, but I respectfully submit that, at times, you could return that a little better.   With just the slightest effort, you could be more tolerant and understanding of me.  I have never attacked you, I've never been mean to you.  I think that if we had a talk, a conversation - just two guys talking law and golf you'd see that the differences you perceive between us are nowhere near as great as they seem.

Same for many of us here.  Come on guys, let's make an effort to bridge the gaps between us, not widen them.  We all REALLY REALLY love golf.  That's a heck of a good start.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:38:06 PM by Jay Flemma »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
Attack?  Puhleeze!  Let's not be so vulnerable. That was a tweak and don't pretend it wasn't  warranted. You led with your chin.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 03:57:58 AM »
Jay,

A typically forced and heavy-handed effort. Do you have someone else edit your work?

The writers you work the majors with are mistaken. Dover is some distance to the south. The white cliffs you can see are in an entirely different direction to Dover.

Why was Nicklaus misguided to make his famous comment? Have you played RSG?
Reading this article and promotion that accompanies it, I am reminded of HG Nelson watching the on-track celebrations of the victorious US 4x100 US relay team, turning to Maurice Greene and commenting "Goes on a bit, doesn't it?"
Next!

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 04:04:03 AM »
HG Nelson and Rampaging Roy Slaven could fill six hours of airtime discussing nothing other than this article, I reckon ;D And it would be six hours of gold, as always!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:49 AM »
HG Nelson and Rampaging Roy Slaven could fill six hours of airtime discussing nothing other than this article, I reckon ;D And it would be six hours of gold, as always!
Scott, they once did 45mins  on the last words of Enzo Ferrari from a four line press release announcing his death, so I suspect you're right.

I hear they're back on the air this year.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back