News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Amateur Tournament Golf
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
As David points out, this isn't as muddy as people make out - that is unless you want your cake and to eat it.  Once a pro always a pro is what I say.  Success has nothing to do with it.  The big issue to me is much more about the college kids.  Are they pro or not?  Judging by other sports, they certainly are not pros, but man it feels like the tax payer is spending money on kids who hope to be pro and use the system to that end.  I am inclined to be hard line and so if you accept a golf "scholarship" you are a pro.  Shit, that scholarship is worth more than a lot pros make in a year.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JSlonis

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
Do you guys that favor that "death penalty" for pro's and their reinstatment make any distinction between a pro who competes on professional tours and one that simply has worked as a head/asst. club professional?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
I am with Jmaie here....if one os going to impose a death penalty it would have to be specific.
If you have made a cheque competing, or have competed in a qualifying event with the intent of making a living PLAYING the game..you are a pro forever.
An assisatnt pro, who decides his future may lie in another line of work shouldnot be judged in the same manner.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
Calling it a "death penalty" is idiotic.

But to answer the last question, all of my comments pertained to those who play for money in big-time professional tournaments. Whether club pro or insurance-man golfers should be amateurs or not is a different question. The brightest line, in my opinion, is someone who has been a touring professional versus everyone else.

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Do you guys that favor that "death penalty" for pro's and their reinstatment make any distinction between a pro who competes on professional tours and one that simply has worked as a head/asst. club professional?

No, I wouldn't give a break to club pros. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JMEvensky

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »

Even though I am someone who would benefit by the exclusion of re-instated professionals, I have no problem with them competing in the same events as I do. It is obvious that they tried and failed to make a go of it as a pro. They just came to the end of their dream a little later in life than other top amateurs. Who am I to deny them the thrill of competing at the best level they can? They tried pro golf and could not make it, so they returned to their proper level and now play against other great amateurs. It seems selfish to try to exclude them.

I'm with you--let them play.

That said,the problem is only going to keep getting bigger as more "failed" pro's get reinstated.Maybe the solution is to have separate divisions at the Am and Mid Am.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »

Even though I am someone who would benefit by the exclusion of re-instated professionals, I have no problem with them competing in the same events as I do. It is obvious that they tried and failed to make a go of it as a pro. They just came to the end of their dream a little later in life than other top amateurs. Who am I to deny them the thrill of competing at the best level they can? They tried pro golf and could not make it, so they returned to their proper level and now play against other great amateurs. It seems selfish to try to exclude them.

I'm with you--let them play.

That said,the problem is only going to keep getting bigger as more "failed" pro's get reinstated.Maybe the solution is to have separate divisions at the Am and Mid Am.

Yeah, you can have the professional flight and the amateur flight at the Mid-Amateur Championship. Or you could have the two flights on different courses...on different weeks...and only call the amateur one the Mid-Am...that's the ticket!

JMEvensky

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
My guess is that one's perspective on reinstated ams is based on one's reasons for competing.For those who are just happy to qualify for something,the reinstated ams aren't that big a deal.They're not really the competition.

But,for those who are able to think about winning,the reinstated ams are seen to have an unfair advantage.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
This is a great thread.  From August 2010 to April 2011we hosted three amateur events at Carolina Golf Club.

The first was the Charlotte City Amateur.  These are the best players who live in the Charlotte city limits.  The
second is our own Carolina Invitational.  The third was the CGA Mid Amateur Championship (SC and NC).  Every
year the same core group of fifty golfers play in these events and I love seeing each and every one of them.  Its
like family returning to the golf course.  I would say 30 out of the 50 don't have a realistic chance of winning but
they keep coming for the fun and comraderie.

These players truly embody the spirit of playing golf.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »

I do/would.  For me, it matters if you tried to PLAY professionally.  Let the guy who made a living selling shirts and taking tee times play if he has a career change.

JESII

Re: Amateur Tournament Golf New
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
Good stuff Chris, I agree with you on this...I think the USGA has gone too easy and think it would a travesty if they went further in softening the consequences. The decision to turn pro should be a sincere, concious one and you do that by making the consequences impactful...not a death penalty, but they must register with the borderline guy...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:08:05 PM by Jim Sullivan »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »

I do/would.  For me, it matters if you tried to PLAY professionally.  Let the guy who made a living selling shirts and taking tee times play if he has a career change.

C'mon Chris, you can beat those guys!

If my google search is accurate, here's some info on his game :)

He’s competed in a U.S. Junior Amateur Championship,
two U.S. Amateur Championships,
two U.S. Mid-Amateur Championships
three British Amateur Championships.
He’s made a run for a number of state amateur titles
and made it to the semifinals of the British Mid-Amateur Championship.

You can play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back