News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

Re: Favorite Munis not named Bethpage, Torrrey or Rustic Canyon
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2011, 02:21:59 AM »
Lots of love in this thread for some of my very favorites, including Riverside Park (my home course for 15 years and site of my first job) and Brown County in Wisconsin.

And in Denver, where I live now, Murphy Creek & Wellshire. I also like Buffalo Run and Aurora Hills (except for that stupid 10th hole).

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
Robert,

There is much more Robert White at Glenbrook left than AW Tillinghast at Shawnee.

I'd recommend the former over the latter just on the quality of the overall layout as well as the preservation factor, yet there are a small handful of holes and original greens at Shawnee that are worth seeing.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
It certainly needs some TLC, but Belmont in Richmond VA is a course that has some real bones to it.  It is a Tillie design, but I don't know how much remains (I know the first hole has been altered in the past few years).  It held a PGA that Snead won, but somewhere along the way the membership sold to the city and built elsewhere.  The few times I've been conditioning is spotty, and you are bound to see some real characters on the course, but the bones of a pretty good course are there.  I assume it is still county/city owned.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
My hometown, NY State park course may be the shoddiest  :D one in the bunch...Beaver Island. The course is located right at the tip of the island, where the great Niagara separates into two branches, before rejoining for the final trek to the Falls. How many holes are along the water, you guess? Zero, I answer. A rickety old house was uncovered, claimed as a historic landmark, and the course was built around it and away from the water. Tragic, I say.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Lots of love in this thread for some of my very favorites, including Riverside Park (my home course for 15 years and site of my first job) and Brown County in Wisconsin.

And in Denver, where I live now, Murphy Creek & Wellshire. I also like Buffalo Run and Aurora Hills (except for that stupid 10th hole).

What is there to like about Aurora Hills?

(And that's coming from someone who basically learned the game there--it's also the site of my first birdie--17--and eagle--8.)

Mark Johnson

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »
Chaska town course.  Chested us am with hazel tine.  Great 7200 course that gets way too much play.

That's where I keep my handicap, and practice a lot. (Adequate driving range. Excellent short game area.)

I think "great" overstates the case, but it's certainly a way-better-than-average muni.

if you have ever seen it when it is well manicured and in-shape, you might reconsider.  During the US Am, it looked fantastic.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
Ron - I'll second Beaver Island.   Where else can you play golf and swim at a nice beach at the same place?  :)

JLahrman

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Dobson Ranch -  Mesa AZ
Weatherwax - Middletown OH

I second Weatherwax.  36 holes, had to be one of Arthur Hills' first layouts.  I enjoy it much more than other Hills courses I've played.  Let me have a bulldozer and a mower in a few parts of the course, and it could be REALLY good.

In the Cincinnati area, I also like Sharon Woods a lot.  Maybe not technically muni because it is maintained by Hamilton County, not the city of Cincinnati.  But there are a lot of good holes at Sharon Woods.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
The best muni in the DC area by a good stretch is Bill Love's Laurel Hill.  (Joe Lee's?) Greystone is the best in Baltimore.

Only problems with Laurel Hill is that the ESAs make it a bear to walk, and that at $89 weekend and with no locality discount, it is essentially a CCFAD that happens to be owned by Fairfax County.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back