News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2011, 12:08:59 AM »
Dirt:

Pipe was ordered yesterday.  D5 and digger arrive next week.

We had 3-1/2 inches of rain in 1-1/2 hours last night. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
Chris,

What's a D5?  Just curious...

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »
Chris,

What's a D5?  Just curious...

It's a tractor.

I was hoping the site required little more than shovels.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
Years ago I worked a machine a bit smaller than that one -- and on a site like DR, I think a machine that size basically IS nothing more than a shovel.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »
I thought Doak and team would have wanted at least something like this....

Michael Dugger

« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
D5 is a particular series of Caterpillar bulldozers.  D3, D5, D8...etc.  larger and smaller.

D5 is a nice mid-sized unit capable of moving decent quantities of dirt, while still being nimble enough to make small features.

Most golf course constructors rent the equipment because shipping it all over the place from job to job is not always cost effective.

Sounds like Chris is handling the procurement of the 'dozer Doak et al will be using to shape the course.

As an aside, I imagine they are going to be using something a wee bit more modern than the unit Kalen displayed an image of.

Probably more like this...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:15:04 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »
I love this thread.....seeing how a golf course project morphs especially with the photo tease....

Chris / Tom - best of luck with the project.

I do hope to get back to that region again one day and if all comes to fruition maybe DR 2.0 maybe pushing SH and Ballyneal for kudos ?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
A D5 is a smaller midsize dozer with an articulating blade made by CAT.

Kevin, that is good company you mention.  It would be terrific if we would be mentioned with them.  The site is really good as is the designer and team.  The site is unlike anything out here that I know of  - the backdrops are astounding - a few guys here have seen it and may share their observations.

Mike Benham

« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »

Kalen - that's a trencher, for the irrigation guys to use.  Either that or to widen the Panama Canal ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

I was hoping the site required little more than shovels.

Kyle:

We could probably build the course with shovels, if we had to.  But it would take a lot longer that way, and I've got three of the best bulldozer operators in the world on my payroll, so I'd rather use them and finish a green or two every day I'm there.

There are three or four greens where we may not move any earth at all, and a bunch more where we'll only be cutting and filling a few inches here and there.  But over a 6000 square foot surface, doing that with a bulldozer is way easier than doing it with shovels.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
I watched a bit of "Dances with Wolves" yesterday and thought I was looking at the land at Dismal River.  Exciting stuff!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »
Mac - we hear that alot!  One week to startup! 

All here are excited and the layout is spectacular!  Good thing for golf, good for jobs.

Promises to be a unique and good course.

Can't wait...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »

All here are excited and the layout is spectacular!  Good thing for golf, good for jobs.

Can't wait...

It better be more than good given that site or you hired the wrong guy.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »

Can't wait...

So John, tell us, do you think the Doak course will be better than the Nicklaus course?  Not asking about the raters, but your own opinion. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »

Can't wait...

So John, tell us, do you think the Doak course will be better than the Nicklaus course?  Not asking about the raters, but your own opinion. 

Yes of course.  I would have walked if I wasn't 100% sure of it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
While the Jack course is terrific in its own right, I agree with John here.  The Doak layout is unbelievable, unique even to the Sandhills, with great holes and surroundings.  I have never seen a better combination of great holes and backdrops, especially on an inland course. Tom is the best and we have a great team - I believe the finished product will be outstanding and among the very best.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
Tom,

I have a suggestion:

Make a grass corridor from the green too the next teeing area. That would allow for building free form tees at grade like you did at Sebonak. It would also allow for walking during the colder months of the year.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »
The hype hereabouts is getting downright Old Macdonaldish in its sheer volume.  Here's hoping that the course is as awesome as the advanced billing and that the club gets enough members to make the entire enterprise a going concern for many years to come!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ben Sims

« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Tom,

I have a suggestion:

Make a grass corridor from the green too the next teeing area. That would allow for building free form tees at grade like you did at Sebonak. It would also allow for walking during the colder months of the year.

I think your suggestion has been on the drawing board for quite awhile.  Maintenance homerun.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
The hype hereabouts is getting downright Old Macdonaldish in its sheer volume.  Here's hoping that the course is as awesome as the advanced billing and that the club gets enough members to make the entire enterprise a going concern for many years to come!

Terry, I think post 32 touched a bit on the topic you are getting at here.  I agree in principal.  I am excited about it, but let's wait to see the finished product.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jud_T

« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »
I don't really care about rankings or hype, I just want to see Kavanaugh admit publicly that it's better.... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris Johnston

« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
Jud - With the site and Tom's layout, that is probably inevitable!

Terry - Agree fully on waiting to see the finished product. Should be fun!

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Thanks for the input on the dozers.

So, is it common to use just one D5 for the construction of an entire golf course?

Is the shaping equipment progression like this:  D5 >> Bobcat  >> Shovels?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
Morgan
It is not common to have just one D5.
But you can certainly start with just one.
It is a milestone for sure.
Cheers

p.s. more or less depending on tastes...
D6 > D5 > D4 > Tractor > Sand Pro > Rake
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:29:35 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back