News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
As to the new names...

Logo inspired: Barbed Wire (Nicklaus) and Electric (or Steel) Fence (Doak)? You can use a lighting bolt symbol...

Design firm inspired: Golden Age (Nicklaus) and Renaissance (Doak)

Animal inspired: Steer (Nicklaus) and Bull (Doak)

Plant inspired: Yucca (Nicklaus) and Pine (Doak)

I probably can come with some more.... :)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
Richard...

I love the names...keep'em coming!!

In light of all of this, all I can say is that I'm glad people are making the trek to see these courses.  They are in the middle of nowhere, but the golf is so worth the trip.  And now it seems critical mass is being achieved and the entire region appears to be a golfing attraction.

Ballyneal
Wildhorse
Dismal River 1
Dismal River 2 (soon)
Sand Hills
Prairie Club (thanks Mark Saltzman for your photothread)
Heck, is Sutton Bay drivable on a trip like this.

The Final Frontier Golf Trail?  Great Dunes Trail?  Whatever, you get the point.

I forgot to mention Awarii Dunes, Bayside...can Prairie Dunes be part of this trail?

Amazing!!

Good Luck Tom and RGD.  Knock it out of the park!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

George Freeman

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
Richard...

I love the names...keep'em coming!!

In light of all of this, all I can say is that I'm glad people are making the trek to see these courses.  They are in the middle of nowhere, but the golf is so worth the trip.  And now it seems critical mass is being achieved and the entire region appears to be a golfing attraction.

Ballyneal
Wildhorse
Dismal River 1
Dismal River 2 (soon)
Sand Hills
Prairie Club (thanks Mark Saltzman for your photothread)
Heck, is Sutton Bay drivable on a trip like this.

The Final Frontier Golf Trail?  Great Dunes Trail?  Whatever, you get the point.

I forgot to mention Awarii Dunes, Bayside...can Prairie Dunes be part of this trail?

Amazing!!

Good Luck Tom and RGD.  Knock it out of the park!!!

Mac - Don't forget the 2nd course at Ballyneal!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Adam Clayman

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
Has upper and lower been suggested/considered?

How about The Horseshoe Course and General Hooker?

Since it took 3 iterations and three owners, perhaps Trifecta course is fitting for the JN design?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »
I wonder how much of the criticism came from people who actually played the course. 

99% of the criticism came from people who had played the course.  To paraphrase, they all simply stated, in their own way, that the course opened before it was ready.  If you care what people write or comment about something you love this can be a serious problem.  Like Choi said, he would have played the new course at Dismal this week if they had let him.  This week may be better than this time next year, I don't know.  As I saw the opening of Ballyneal and Awarii and followed the opening of Dismal Uno I am lost on how to find that Goldilocks moment where everything is just right.

Dismal Dos is an interesting study different than the above courses in that the amazing infrastructure is in place.  It is going to be a fun couple of years for a risk junkie.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »

How about The Horseshoe Course and General Hooker?

As a Southerner, I find the General Hooker recommendation among the funniest things I've ever read on GCA.  What a pity he was relieved by Meade on the eve of Gettysburg.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
Michael, The half way house on the course is called Hooker house, also, Mullen is in Hooker county.

So, as a yankee, I fail to see the humor. Perhaps, you could elucidate us ignorant northerners?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Aeolian (Nicklaus)
Alluvial (Doak)

WW

Kalen Braley

« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
Coming from a geek point of view:

JN Course: Dismal River 1.1  (not 1.0 because its already had some significant minor revisions like new green on 18, etc.)
Doak Course:  Dismal River 2.0

John Kirk

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
Aeolian (Nicklaus)
Alluvial (Doak)

WW

Very clev-ah, Mr Whitehead!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »
Watching the Open I'm seeing some DD holes over there.  How do the elevation changes compare to our early eight?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
Watching the Open I'm seeing some DD holes over there.  How do the elevation changes compare to our early eight?

John:

It's been a long time since I've been back to Sandwich -- almost twenty years now, I think.  I need to take a golf vacation sometime.

Dismal River has more elevation change than Royal St. George's, but you are right in thinking that the elevation changes on some holes are fairly comparable.  The first that comes to mind is the seventh green site, which is up in the air about as much as the 10th at Royal St. George's -- we plan to cut it down a little bit, but you won't want to miss it.   The tee shot on #2 is a bit more uphill than say #5 or #7 at Sandwich, but should have something of the same feel.  And we've certainly got opportunities to build some deep bunkers!

However it's likely those holes will have to wait 'til next year as we are going to concentrate on holes 10-16 first.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2011, 02:24:43 PM »

JN Course: Dismal River 1.1  (not 1.0 because its already had some significant minor revisions like new green on 18, etc.)

You mean 1.1j2011Q2
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

You mean 1.1j2011Q2
;)

I intentionally left off maintaince and build for our non-technical brethern.

1.1.4.56 would have been a bit too confusing me thinks!  ;)

Chris Johnston

« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Kalen-

Even I can find that funny!  Well played.

CJ

Kalen Braley

« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
Kalen-

Even I can find that funny!  Well played.

CJ

I was hoping it would bring the techie geeks out for a possible laugh!   

And if its actually used out there, then I'd have to come out and play the two of em for sure!   ;D

Chris Johnston

« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
Consider yourself invited to visit!

David Harshbarger

« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »

Ahh, if only other 2.0, 3.0, 4.0... Courses could downgrade, and remove the patches and new "features"....
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Eric Smith

« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
Tom,

Ever since first seeing that massively deep crater bunker on #3, I've wondered how you'll develop it for play.

Grassed looks cool and seems natural, of course until you imagine golfers trying to play it as such. Simply finding your ball would be a challenge I would think. So if you did decide to scrape away at the native and bring the sand to the surface, the shape of this enormous crater seems to be almost too steep at the walls to simply walk into it. Have you considering adding a stairway? I think it would be cool to do so, play it as deep as possible (I believe you mentioned it is 20'), a bit of a nod to your old mentor Mr. Dye, and introduce the thought that this course isn't your atypical sand hills experience, but one with many layers of interest, challenge and beauty.

Or - you can tell me to sit down, be quiet and wait 'til next year.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:46:34 AM by Eric Smith »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
Eric:

Well, I don't know what we are going to do there, so you will probably have to wait until next year when I have to make a decision.  We won't be building the holes on the top end this fall.

I would love to dig it all out and make an epic bunker, but if we did that I think we would eventually lose the green, as the bunker sits on the side of the green where both the west and north winds will get into it.  Plus, I'm afraid some people would never get a shot out of it!  I'm not as worried about physical access; I have only looked down into the abyss from above, but it looked like there were some reasonably gentle trails to get into the bottom and out from the back right and front left sides.

In general, we are going to scrape a little bit at some of the bunkers this fall, and let the wind work on them and see how they are evolving next year.  We intend to dig them shallower than we want them, because we know the wind will do a lot between now and Opening Day, and it would be nice for Jagger and his crew to have a year or two off before they have to start putting sand back into bunkers.

Eric Smith

« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »
Thanks, Tom. It's a really cool feature. I wonder how it evolved as such?

Here's a shot from the back right of the greensite to show the degree of elevation from the top of that bunker.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
So how difficult would it be to take a mat like the employees at Bandon use and play the routing this season. I figure anything within a club length of the flag would be good. First time I played Dismal Uno there were no holes in the green.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »
So how difficult would it be to take a mat like the employees at Bandon use and play the routing this season. I figure anything within a club length of the flag would be good. First time I played Dismal Uno there were no holes in the green.

John - Believe it or not, Tom played the course last week and I've had a go at few holes myself.  Putting isn't available but shots from the tees and into greens are already there.

Tom, she really looks beautiful - I've never seen anything like it.  Can't wait to get her started.

Eric Smith

« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
CJ,

White Lightning off of #5?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »
I'm always looking for an excuse not to putt.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back