News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »
All

Tom's course will be very walkable from hole-to-hole, as is the Nicklaus course when we get the paths right.  The Nicklaus Course really is not much more difficult to walk than Sand Hills - over there, most people ride as well.  The topic i responded to here wasn't connecting holes, it was not ending the routing back at the beginning and that is no sweat to us.  Connecting holes is very important, and Tom and I are fully and completely aligned here - to clarify, close transition from green to next tee is already baked in to the routing.  What I don't find particularly important is having #18 end at #1 - to me, they are simply an end and a beginning to a wonderful experience.  Each of the 18 holes are spectacular and tied together - when you all see it and how we do things here, you will better understand.

Rob - Walking is very important to me and can't wait to get some True's as I love to walk myself.  On the other hand, my father just turned 80 and, when here, he has no interest in walking - it would be silly to force him to do so and limit the experience he wants.  We have a ton of members who bring out their dads and kids, and also we have many who like to walk.  The balance here is roughly 90% riding and 10% walking and I hope that will change organically as time goes by.  Today, we have 4 couples on on the property and one family with young children and carts for them are a plus.  Thus, the best solution, for us, is to simply make both walking and riding available and allow the customer to choose.

George Pazin

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2011, 12:28:32 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Chris. Sounds like the courses are in good hands.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Rob Rigg

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
Chris,

I totally understand that a lot of people like to play golf from a cart and I am not trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a walking vs cart debate or criticize anyone who chooses to take a cart while playing at their club due to age, medical condition, etc.

As you mentioned - the "ideal" situation is for golfers to have options and it seems like on a lot of modern courses on spectacular sites it can be challenging to walk the course. I had heard that the Nicklaus course (at least currently) is not an easy walk so having the option to walk the Doak course is very exciting (I don't really care where it starts an ends either). The fact that you and Tom are aligned on the walkability of the course is fantastic and I am sure some of your members who probably do a "ride and walk" combo as necessary on the Nicklaus course will enjoy the short green to tee transfers etc. on the Doak. Tom has proven over time that he has great skill in creating very walkable routings on sites where other architects may have gone the direction of essentially "cart only".

I am sure you, Tom, Don and the rest of the team will have an absolute blast making this course into something that the membership will be very proud of and all of us GCA fanatics will be jonesing to visit.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
Rob:

I didn't take your post as anything negative.  I love to walk too!  I want to be careful to not have a walking only course as, to me, that limits the experience for a large part of people who love this great game.

The new layout is completely different from anything out this way, unique and spectacular!  You need to come out see it in person.  It's that good.

I'm sure Tom will update a bit on current plans after I stop wearing him out.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »
It's very interesting to me that Mr. Nicklaus is now part of the ownership group that approved the decision to hire Tom.  It shows a remarkable level of confidence and business acumen on his part...

I'm interested to know the details on this and if Jack was involved in the decision process to hire Tom?

Also, how much land does the ownership own?  Is there enough for a 3rd course.  Could Dismal be another Bandon?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »
The River Course and the Ranch Course? I've always thought a course in Nebraska (especially in the Sand Hills) should incorporate Steward in the name, as in a 'steward' of the land.

As a lifelong Nebraska resident this is wonderful news!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2011, 10:35:30 PM »
Joel, Chris has stated before that a third course is unlikely. Not that there's not enough room, (3k acres), it's that the population base to get enough employees is rather limiting. That does not mean it won't happen, it just means it's going to be hard. Most courses in the region employ either teachers or students. After Sept. 1 and really August 20th, they all have to get back to their real lives.

Tony, an excellent suggestion and one I believe Cleve Trimble would appreciate.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2011, 12:28:54 AM »
It's very interesting to me that Mr. Nicklaus is now part of the ownership group that approved the decision to hire Tom.  It shows a remarkable level of confidence and business acumen on his part...

I'm interested to know the details on this and if Jack was involved in the decision process to hire Tom?

I have not asked Chris but I do not believe that Mr. Nicklaus was consulted on the decision to hire me to do the second 18 holes.  In fact, he probably only heard of it yesterday.

I wonder if Chris had told him to choose between me and Tiger, who he would have recommended.  Probably Tiger!  :)

JC Jones

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2011, 12:45:08 AM »
Yes, but who is better looking?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
Sir Doak,

I took these photos in 2008. Will  "The River Course" occupy this part of the property?

Northeast of the main lodge.

Near the lower cabins.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Adam Clayman

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2011, 07:27:33 AM »
Kyle, Imagine sitting around the fire pit? As you look down on the snaking river, imagine the closing stretch coming right at you. So, in your first picture, you capture the area, but not necc. the ground. If that makes sense to you.

It reminded me of playing Banff Springs in the original config, with the grand hotel looming large as you came down the finishers. Granted, the scale is different, as well as the distance.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Greg Tallman

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
How about

New / Old

or my preference

Modern (Jack)
Classic (Doak)

Eric Smith

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
Kyle, Imagine sitting around the fire pit? As you look down on the snaking river, imagine the closing stretch coming right at you. So, in your first picture, you capture the area, but not necc. the ground. If that makes sense to you.

It reminded me of playing Banff Springs in the original config, with the grand hotel looming large as you came down the finishers. Granted, the scale is different, as well as the distance.

Kyle,

Your pics remind me of what it was like waking up every morning out there (sun up was 4:30ish!!) lying in bed and staring out the window of my cabin towards the old settlers cabin and the great beyond.This area behind both the North 40 and Bobtail cabins is a gorgeous setting in its own right - so peaceful. But, like Adam mentioned, the new golf course will be built on the land along both sides of the entrance road, just before the turn to the maintenance facility. The land along the right side when you first see the clubhouse and the Signature cabins on your drive in is the land where the back 10 is routed.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Eric  I've spent a few days in a moderate deep dive with Tom and Don.  Particulars of the layout simply keep getting better the more time I spend on it.  I'll defer to Tom and Don to share plans for the remainder of this year but the news is very good.

Also, the feedback on the existing course remains very positive.  Glad to see it getting its just due.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:35:21 PM by Chris Johnston »

Eric Smith

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
Chris,

I'm guessing this weekend was a lot of fun for everyone on site, getting to visit with Tom and Don. I wish I could have been there. It took a weekend of non stop lake action with my family to finally get me out of the Dismal daze, though I'm sure it's only temporary. ;) :)

As you know, I love the existing course and thought it was a lot of fun last weekend sharing the experience with others and hearing many of them count it among their favorites as well. I can't think of a better way to make Dismal even more special than it already is than to have two fun, yet contrasting golf courses on site allowing for one robust golf experience.

The Dismal.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:16:08 PM by Eric Smith »

JC Jones

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
The coffee I had this morning was robust.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
This makes me think of the irony that is life. You have to do great work under poor circumstance so that one day you might get the privilege of trying to do more great work under very good circumstances, and then (but only if you and the quality of your work manage to survive that privilege), you are expected to do even greater work under excellent circumstances.  And yet, even after being one of the rare ones who achieves all of that, the best you can hope for is that a garden-variety someone who's been doing mediocre work his whole career doesn't stand up and starting claiming that your "best work is now behind you". Wow - no wonder the idea of the trickster god has always had a place in the popular imagination/psyche. The arc of a career as cosmic joke.  And the hilarious thing is, that is as good as it gets!! We write books about the few who see it through!

Excuse the interruption. Please carry on. Thanks for a good thread.

Peter

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:02:29 PM by PPallotta »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
You have to do great work under poor circumstance so that one day you might get the privilege of trying to do more great work under very good circumstances

True that, Peter, true that.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Hines

« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
From the Omaha “Weird” Herald.  If you have read this thread, then you have read this article....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110709/SPORTS/707099835

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »
Early on in the thread, someone jokingly suggested calling the Nicklaus course the "Dismal Course" and the Doak course the "River Course," but I actually legitimately like the idea.  I mean, do we really think that people would either not want to play the course or not want to join the club because the original course was called "Dismal"?  If that were a valid concern, then why would the club have been named "Dismal River" in the first place.  I understand that the river has had that name since before the golf course was there, but there could have been other names.  No, the Dismal and River courses would lend an air of good humor to the atmosphere.  If that is in line with the general philosophy of the place (I have not had the pleasure of visiting), then go for it.

Failing that, maybe name the new course after one of the types of fish found in the river?  Trout? Walleye?  And then name the original after one of the land animals? Bison?

At any rate, it looks like there's a lot to be excited about with this project.  Congrats to everyone involved.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

RJ_Daley

« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »
I'll bet I know one aspect of this course project that the operators will enjoy, they won't have to knock out a buzzillion yucca plants!!!  ;) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
Peter - that is a great post.  Simply, great.

RJD - we do have a bizillion Yucca's here too.  Small cactus too!

As to name, I'll weigh in.  I like the Dismal river logo...very much.  The barbed wire is very simple, appropriate, and cool.  Today, we are leaning towards one logo and one name with signage directing you guys to "Jack" and Tom".  While I certainly have an open mind on naming, we keep things simple out this way.  The big question seems to be, does a course really need a name? 

I think Tom almost named the course the other day in this post, if we go in that direction.  Tom described a lasso and that could well become the "Lariat" course - fits both the routing and the theme.  We also have "Little Horseshoe" rising above 16, 17, and 18 and a focal point on several other holes..  The Jack could well become the "Flying Spur", or the "Windmill".  Or, maybe just Dismal River.

Michael George

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »

Chris:

That is a pretty creative idea.  Don't name the two courses, just give them symbols for guests to distinguish the tees.

A symbol of a lasso for the Renaissance course and a spur for the Nicklaus course would certainly be unique, simple and understated - as you suggest is the feel of the club.

Either way, good luck with the project.  I have a feeling that Dismal River is about to take a pretty lofty place in American golf.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Rob Rigg

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2011, 12:31:36 AM »
Have Tom, Don and team decided on the grass(es) they are going to use for the Lariat/River course? Fairways, rough and greens?

If so, how does that compare to what was used on the Jack?

I thought that one of the most interesting differences btw SH and BN was the difference in grass choices that C&C vs RGD decided to use. Obviously the topography is not the same but there are similarities in the potential manner in which the architects could have chosen to use grass type to influence play in terms of ground game vs aerial game and also green speed and boldness of the greens.

I have heard that the Jack greens are really pure and quite fast but interesting making me think they are probably bent or a blended bent?

I know Tom isn't afraid to go in a different direction based on PD, OM, BN, etc.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
Getting on the road home in the morning after a long weekend at Dismal River.

I feel very fortunate to be involved with the new Tom Doak designed golf course at DR.  

Chris Johnston has done some amazing work at DR. I think the assessment passed by the membership to fund the course says all you need to know about how the members feel about Chris’ leadership. CJ has assembled an excellent staff and the original course is the beneficiary of that staff, especially the work of Golf Course Superintendent, Jagger Mandrell. The turf conditions are very good at DR.

As far as the new course, I'll leave the golf architecture talk to Tom, other than to say I believe it will be an outstanding golf course.

It’s my job to get an irrigation system in the ground that supports the design and the desired turf conditions, and get it done at or under budget. It is a challenge, the budget part in particular, but I believe we will get it done, and done well.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and kind words. I hope some of you have the chance to visit during construction. Looks like we will be starting in a few weeks and late summer/early fall looks like a nice time in the Nebraska sand hills.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:38:57 AM by Don_Mahaffey »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back