News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
The Chef has spoken!  Sorry, Tom, couldn't resist.

In brief, we couldn't be more pleased to have Tom Doak as our artist and designer!  Not much more to say other as Tom's record and reputation simply speak for themselves, and he will be a wonderful partner.  Both Brian and Eric have already been very involved and we are fortunate to have them on the team.  Add to that the incredibly competent true professional Don Mahaffey - this is a world class group!  The site is both unique and breathtaking and we will by trying a lot of new things here - Brian already started a bunker with mineral and salt licks!  Our members are the best and this course is for them!  The new course will be a great addition and compliment to both our wonderful existing course and the other great courses in the area.  I really am honored to be working with Renaissance Golf. 

The feedback from the handful of guys who have seen the routing has been, in a word, astonishing.  The contours are special and the backdrops to die for.  Each hole in the routing is already there and the layout is very Doakable.  We have been at this for several months and actually began a few weeks ago.  Both Don and Tom are enroute to Dismal River as I post this.  Next year's 5th Major will be a fun event - lots to talk about and see. 

Exciting times for the Sandhills!  Exciting times to be part of Dismal River!

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
Congrats on the new project Tom!
H.P.S.

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »
WOW- Sounds like a spot in the 5th Major will soon be one of the toughest tickets in golf. Congratulations to all involved as by all accounts Dismal is already a must play/stay destination as a stand alone. Is there a target date yet for the opening?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »

There are several purposes to this post:

1)  To obviate the need for Chris Johnston to make any more painful hints,

You don't like being called "chef?"  I always thought you could do with a nickname.  

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing some information with us.   Best of luck to all involved.

Ron Farris

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »
Congratulations Renaissance--- Tom, Don and all who will be involved.
I look forward to the upcoming event. 
Well played Mr. Doak!

Michael George

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »
Congratulations to all of the Dismal River members and staff.  This is an incredible decision on behalf of the club.  This will certainly set them apart from many other clubs and provide an unbelievable golf experience for members and guests.

Here is getting the cart in front of the horse, but when the Renaissance course is completed, will Dismal River be the best private 36 hole facility in the country?

MPCC? Winged Foot?  Oak Hill?  Baltusrol? Merion? Oakland Hills? Medinah? Congressional? Firestone (from Akron, Ohio - have to include it)?  

I will defer to those that have played all of these courses, but it now tops my wish list.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jim Franklin

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
Adam -

I like the Buffalo Pass name, but your employment call was off a bit. So much for a breakout day. Ugh.
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
Here is getting the cart in front of the horse, but when the Renaissance course is completed, will Dismal River be the best private 36 hole facility in the country?

Michael:

There have been several unreasonable pronouncements about the project already -- there is still a lot of work to do out there, and it is never easy to build a great course, no matter what people may think.

However your post above is the most ridiculous of the bunch.  Please, just wait until our course opens, and then come out and tell us what you think of it.

P.S.  I do hope it's better than Firestone!  Apologies to Akron.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:18 AM »
Congratulations, Tom.

Enjoy the upcoming year of Mullen / Polk County, Fla., trips. The courses on both sides of the route will be much anticipated by all of us.

Howard:

My trips to Polk County are mostly done ... we have six holes at Streamsong planted and a bunch more ready for grass.  My travel portfolio for the next year is not so simple though, with projects in China, France, Scotland, Australia, Chicago, Nebraska, and maybe Spain, too.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »
Tom,

Is the course being designed with walking in mind and will there be cart paths?

Steve

The course is being designed with walking in mind, but there will be carts, too.

We are trying to keep cart paths to a minimum, and find a way to connect the holes as much as we can with turf.  Where paths make more sense, they'll be gravel, and hidden to the best of our ability.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »

As a fun exercise and to help Tom avoid the "Doak" course and the "Nicklaus" course designations, the guys that just got back should propose some names based on the two lay-outs.  While you could see one being called the "River" course, I don't think it is going to be acceptable to name the other "Dismal" - my pathetic attempt at humor - sorry.   You guys can act as a free focus group for the club.

Congratulations Tom.  How much dirt do you anticipate having to move?  Will it be the least amount that you have ever moved?  If so, this corner of the world (along with Ballyneal nearby) could become the modern day minimalist design capital of the golf world.

Michael:

I very much like the name "River course" because that will be the most memorable part of it, and I hate the idea of naming a course after myself -- it's not about me.  But, I know Chris has issues with the name because then he has to come up with a name for the original course that plays off ours.  If anybody comes up with a suggestion that I like and Chris is happy with, I'll give them an autographed copy of the original routing, or hell, even the original itself if they want.

There will not be much dirt to move, especially in the green sites, but there will be a bit of work in the fairways on perhaps six holes.  I think it will take less than Ballyneal, but certainly more than St. Andrews Beach and maybe more than Barnbougle.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
This is great news.  After playing Ballyneal a number of times and seeing Doak's work first hand, I've often wondered what he might come up with in the Sand Hills.  I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
A little birdie told me about this recently.  Very exciting.  Congrats to all involved.  I agree that this may be the thing that puts the area over the top on the national scene.  A positive not just for the club but for the entire region IMO...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »
Adam -

I like the Buffalo Pass name, but your employment call was off a bit. So much for a breakout day. Ugh.

Ahem, I don't think so Jim. Whenever you hope you're screwed. I knew this would happen on wednesday. Breakout goes both ways. ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:50:49 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »

I very much like the name "River course" because that will be the most memorable part of it, and I hate the idea of naming a course after myself -- it's not about me.  But, I know Chris has issues with the name because then he has to come up with a name for the original course that plays off ours.  If anybody comes up with a suggestion that I like and Chris is happy with, I'll give them an autographed copy of the original routing, or hell, even the original itself if they want.

I jokingly suggested "JACK" and "TOM" to Chris, but know folks would likely think of a different Tom.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
No matter what the official name becomes I think we all know the Doak course will affectionately be known as DD.  It makes perfect sense as it is the second course at Dismal, so the double D.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:58 AM »
Congrats Tom  - I was wondering how long it will take to build the course when I presume there will be minimal earth movement?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
Congratulations, Tom!

It verges on thrilling, even to someone with no stake in the story, to hear that someone somewhere in the wide world of golf has exciting frontiers still ahead, even in this dismal (pun recognized too late) economy.

It gives a jolt of hope to the rest of us -- does it not?

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
Congratulations, Tom!

It verges on thrilling, even to someone with no stake in the story, to hear that someone somewhere in the wide world of golf has exciting frontiers still ahead, even in this dismal (pun recognized too late) economy.

It gives a jolt of hope to the rest of us -- does it not?

Dan

Why the rest of us when it is not to late to be a part of us?

Jud_T

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »
How about the Dismal River course and the Divorce River course,  as in it's so much fun it can cause a serious marital rift.  8)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:38:54 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Kelly

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
How about the Dismal River course and the Divorce River course,  as in it's so much fun it can cause a serious marital rift.  8)

I suggest something with "Grass" in the name.

Is there any great course with "Grass" in its name? You've got your "Sand" and your "Dunes" and your "Prairie" -- but where are we gonna get our "Grass"?

"Tallgrass" might scare 'em away, I suppose -- till they get there.

Just don't name it "Thickgrass."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
Congratulations Tom, Don, Chris and Eric.  :)

1 & 2, North and South or Upper and Lower have worked well at other locations...
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Shane Wright

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »

As a fun exercise and to help Tom avoid the "Doak" course and the "Nicklaus" course designations, the guys that just got back should propose some names based on the two lay-outs.  While you could see one being called the "River" course, I don't think it is going to be acceptable to name the other "Dismal" - my pathetic attempt at humor - sorry.   You guys can act as a free focus group for the club.

Congratulations Tom.  How much dirt do you anticipate having to move?  Will it be the least amount that you have ever moved?  If so, this corner of the world (along with Ballyneal nearby) could become the modern day minimalist design capital of the golf world.

Michael:

There will not be much dirt to move, especially in the green sites, but there will be a bit of work in the fairways on perhaps six holes.  I think it will take less than Ballyneal, but certainly more than St. Andrews Beach and maybe more than Barnbougle.

I wasn't on the recent trip to Dismal, but have spent some time in the Sand Hills region and grew up in Kansas....I'm not sure if it fits for this course as I haven't seen it yet, but I have always thought "High Plains" had some potential to be a name of a course in this region of the country.....What a fun project this will be to follow!  Congrats to all parties involved.

The Sand Hills region is truly magical.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
Congrats to Chris and Renaissance on the new partnership and course.

What's wrong with calling them the Dunes course and the River course at Dismal River Golf Club?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »

Michael:

I wasn't on the recent trip to Dismal, but have spent some time in the Sand Hills region and grew up in Kansas....I'm not sure if it fits for this course as I haven't seen it yet, but I have always thought "High Plains" had some potential to be a name of a course in this region of the country.....What a fun project this will be to follow!  Congrats to all parties involved.

The Sand Hills region is truly magical.

Are you proposing "High Plains" and "Low River" Shane?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back