News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
Tom - at what point in the process/stage of your involvement did you know that Don would be working with you and handling the irrigation? Do you think that knowing Don's philosophy in that regard (and the maintenance style/practices that would likely follow) influenced any of your design/routing decisions?

Peter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
Tom - at what point in the process/stage of your involvement did you know that Don would be working with you and handling the irrigation? Do you think that knowing Don's philosophy in that regard (and the maintenance style/practices that would likely follow) influenced any of your design/routing decisions?

Peter

Peter:

I've known Don for a number of years [as is generally the case with most people I suggest for important positions].

The routing was completed this spring when Eric Iverson and I made a second visit to the site.  We knew we needed to find someone who could install the irrigation system on the fly right behind our shaping work.  I knew Don would be perfect in that role, and that he could probably take care of all the stuff we don't.  So, I suggested to Chris to get him involved.  In the process, we've bypassed the big-name irrigation designers, who aren't too happy about it; that's payback for a couple of glaring instances of over-design they foisted on clients back in the salad days.

That said, even on a great site like we're working with, the design is only half-done at this stage; there are hundreds of decisions yet to be made about where bunkers go and what slopes to modify, and Don will now be involved in most of those, as well as the superintendent and crew at Dismal River.

Phil McDade

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
Chris. Get some 5 gal buckets, old flags and some quick cement. Bury the buckets and try to hole out from anything inside 150. Golf as it was originally played. ;)    Tom. Lawsona has steeper green side bunkers. I hope you can leave it almost alone while allowin the plodder plenty of room on the other side. A real hazard so to speak. But than again, I'm a sicphuk.   

Adam:

Every bunker at Lawsonia has both a steep face and a flat entrance/exit. I don't think there is anything remotely close to this kind of bunker at Lawsonia, in which all sides are steep. These are on the par 5 13th at Lawsonia.

JC Jones

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
If some non-staff member is building greens at Dismal and it ain't me, my feelings will be hurt.  Just sayin...
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »
If some non-staff member is building greens at Dismal and it ain't me, my feelings will be hurt.  Just sayin...

Better bring some CocaCola, a rake, dog bones, and some Guinness!

Eric Smith

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
JC, brother man - you are a madman! To be at the dinner table with you and Coach together at Dismal enjoying his private stash of Guinness is a wish that I will do my damnedest to see materialize before season's end. We just need that private jet to make it work for both of us. So, you were on a Doak today - how was it? Tell us also of your Forest Dunes visit when you get a chance. I just love that place.

JC Jones

« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
Forest Dunes is ridiculous.  Underrated at 99 on Golf Digest; even Mark Pritchett agrees with that statement.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
Tom,

The deer flies wouldn't allow me to take too many pics, so this is about all I have left. And a YouTube clip. Where is Rich Choi? He said he took a bunch of em.

Not a bad view at the finish.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2011, 12:10:51 AM »
I am sure all the guys at TRUE would enjoy an "offsite" at DR to help out with construction for a few days - just say the word.

Those photos are sick.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
Tom D - thanks for that. In answering the question you referenced a more general point, i.e. that even after the final routing, "the design is only half-done at this stage".  Is that mainly a figure of speech - or is your thought really that here at DR (and other courses you've designed), much of the "final design" has nothing to do with routing?   

Eric, JC, Kalen - I DON'T want to help Tom and his team construct the course, but I DO wish I could be a fly on the wall watching you three white-collar effetes shovelling dirt around with your baby-powder hands and flabby golfing 'physiques' in the late summer heat.  (No criticism involved, mind you - in describing you three I'm of course only describing myself!).

Peter   

Chris Johnston

« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Tom,

The deer flies wouldn't allow me to take too many pics, so this is about all I have left. And a YouTube clip. Where is Rich Choi? He said he took a bunch of em.

Not a bad view at the finish.

Eric: I love that view from 18 green!

Rob - Bring digital camo!

I'll try to get some updates pics as well!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
Chris,

Remember when I suggested, before the course was announced, that you could sell stay, play and spay outings?  Sounds like you can set up an outing combining golf and construction and make these boys dreams come true.

Eric Smith

« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
A fine idea, John. Model it like these aggression-training courses. You know, these aggressive training courses like EST, those type of things. Guys could join Tom's crew and while there lose a few pounds. He's got a six to eight week training program, a tough one. Which is perfect for me (and Peter).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »
Yes, schedule it after the course is officially closed and have the participants stay in the employee housing.  The original course plays fine in early November.  A bit of golf, a tad of work, some basketball, grilled steaks and cold beer. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »
Tom D - thanks for that. In answering the question you referenced a more general point, i.e. that even after the final routing, "the design is only half-done at this stage".  Is that mainly a figure of speech - or is your thought really that here at DR (and other courses you've designed), much of the "final design" has nothing to do with routing?   

Eric, JC, Kalen - I DON'T want to help Tom and his team construct the course, but I DO wish I could be a fly on the wall watching you three white-collar effetes shovelling dirt around with your baby-powder hands and flabby golfing 'physiques' in the late summer heat.  (No criticism involved, mind you - in describing you three I'm of course only describing myself!).

Peter   

Pete,

You make a great point.  Its been 14 years since my last "blue collar" job..I'd have to man the shovel in shifts.  Work for 1/2 hr, 15 min break, work for 30, break for 15..rinse and repeat!!   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
Yes, schedule it after the course is officially closed and have the participants stay in the employee housing.  The original course plays fine in early November.  A bit of golf, a tad of work, some basketball, grilled steaks and cold beer. 

John,

I don't think you've ever typed finer words on this site....sounds awesome!!!

Steve Kline

« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
I worked for a big golf course construction company right out of college because I thought I wanted to be a golf course architect. Two weeks of working 12 hours a day, six days a week with a shovel or pick axe always in hand in late June in Maryland while making minimum wage quickly led to a change in plans. I also realized I wouldn't be playing much golf working that job. It would be cool to see a course be built but I'd rather not do it.

Jud_T

« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
I could certainly stand to drop a few pounds, but somehow a cute Pilates instructor sounds better than a shovel and dragonflies  8).
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Eric Smith

« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »
I forgot I had these on my phone.

8 fairway, par 5. I wish I had a picture from the tee because it is killer, with an enormous hump out there to carry (which we are driving around in the picture above).

8 green, I believe.

Old Macplumart surveys the site.

One of the back 10 green sites, I forget which (13, maybe?).

The Dismalites. Notice some of the humps and bumps in the land behind everyone.

That's it. I'm out of pics of the new course.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »

John, Great Idea!

To all GCAers - how many of you would like to come out closing weekend or the weekend - first weekend in October.  Golf, steaks, and beer + a deep dive into the new layout?  Maybe a lecture by the Chef (if he's here), or some time in the kitchen?

If the response is good, I will set aside the rooms.  What say YOU?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #245 on: July 20, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
Chris,

Remember when I suggested, before the course was announced, that you could sell stay, play and spay outings?  Sounds like you can set up an outing combining golf and construction and make these boys dreams come true.

".....stay, play and spay outings?"    Do you have to bring your bitch to participate?   ;D

Chris Johnston

« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
John

We are working on a gold and branding weekend for next year. 

Walked the layout again today.  Great holes and great green locations.  Cant wait to see what Tom and the gang do out here.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »

John, Great Idea!

To all GCAers - how many of you would like to come out closing weekend or the weekend - first weekend in October.  Golf, steaks, and beer + a deep dive into the new layout?  Maybe a lecture by the Chef (if he's here), or some time in the kitchen?

If the response is good, I will set aside the rooms.  What say YOU?

In!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Greg Cameron

« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
Don,can you comment on the irritation system?toro? Rainbird? inner heads/outer heads around greens?dt35/700 3 row?dt55/900 3 row?Single head control or paired fairways?1500gpm pumps?poly fusion or pvc?pulling or open ditch? gasket or glue joints or half-half?just curious,one ditch digger to another....Greg :)

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
Don,can you comment on the irritation system?toro? Rainbird? inner heads/outer heads around greens?dt35/700 3 row?dt55/900 3 row?Single head control or paired fairways?1500gpm pumps?poly fusion or pvc?pulling or open ditch? gasket or glue joints or half-half?just curious,one ditch digger to another....Greg :)

Greg,
I'm not quite ready to answer all those questions yet, but I can tell you this. Its a HDPE system, mains, laterals... everything, no glue, only fusing. Single head control, no little heads, or at least we're trying to do it with no little heads, all golf rotors.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:36:27 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back