News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Painswick - THREE INCREDIBLE photographs (see Page 2)
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »
As if you needed any persuasion...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:35:44 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

George Pazin

Re: Painswick - One INCREDIBLE photograph
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »
Thanks.

Someone should resurrect one of the Painswick threads for the newer posters.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
Wow! A great photo Robin, thanks for posting.

From that angle the 5th looks even more of incredible than it does from the tee!  ;)

George,

Do you mean this one?  ;D
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35805.0.html

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
Many thanks, James, that is awesome!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
I don't get it...it looks like a mannequin's lower abs...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
The two greens you see are atop an Iron Age fort, with the tees perhaps fifty feet below.  The "abs" are crevasses I think.  The sides of the hills are light brown, so I'm guessing there hasn't been much if any rain in the Cotswolds lately!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
Robin,
Thanks much for the photo.  Really an interesting view.

In Robin's photo, the 5th green is at the center of the photo.  The fourth green is at the bottom right, with the 5th tee sort of in the trees beyond the green.  If you had no course info prior to your round and no routing map, it would be damned tough figuring out where to hit.

Here's a more conventional look at the completely unconventional 5th hole.  First from the tee.

And at the top of the hill looking at the green.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
John,

Thanks for posting those pics and explaining how that routing works.....good stuff to my eye, the very definition of true quirk.

Out of curiousity, whats the carry distance from the tee up over the ridge?

Thanks,

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
Out of curiousity, whats the carry distance from the tee up over the ridge?

Maybe 90 yards.  The hole is only about 110.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
Sorry., but what is an "Iron Age Fort"?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »

A fort that was built in the Iron Ages that appears to be NLE?   ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
So it's a blind pitch over three ridges? That is tasty.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
Bruce - It is where people used to live and they defended their home by having people on watch and with the two or three moats and steep banks it meant invaders would be tired scaling them and so easily picked off with spears. It was an old fashioned way of gaining an advantage on the enemy. 5000 years on we have CCTV and alarm systems linked to broadband!!!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Matt Day

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »
how cool is that  :) I was only joking to my wife last week watching Britain BC that Maiden Castle in Dorset would make a tricky golf hole

Bruce Katona

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Adrian: Thanks.  The fort is a tremendous land form, but here in the US, we have some landforms of forts from the Revolutionary & Civil War but nothing quite that old....Most of the time these are required to be preserved, not modified foran entirely new purpose......very neat.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 10:00:16 AM »
There are actually half a dozen holes within the boundary of the old fort, plus the beacon way on top, where you can see all the way to the Bristol Channel bridges.  The locals set signal fires up there - think back to the scene in the "Lord of the Rings!"

Mark McKeever

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »
I feel like a similar hole could be created at a landfill -> golf course here in the US.  McCoullough's could have something similar if they so chose.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »
I found this hole really deceptive off the tee.  Knowing the yardage I assumed the green was in one of the folds going up the hill.  I thought my ball flew into one of the folds and thought I was in trouble as I walked up the hill and did not see a green there.  It turned out my ball was on the green on the top of the hill.

I had a similar experience playing the par 3 at Prestwick over a dune.

Both of those holes resulted in memorable 3's.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »

Looks like a reclaimed strip mine in West Virginia

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »
The place looks very cool.  Is it a difficult walk?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
I found this hole really deceptive off the tee.  Knowing the yardage I assumed the green was in one of the folds going up the hill.  I thought my ball flew into one of the folds and thought I was in trouble as I walked up the hill and did not see a green there.  It turned out my ball was on the green on the top of the hill.

That's your ball in the photo above.  I don't remember who was closer to the hole, though if I had to guess it wouldn't be me.

Jud,
Not a difficult walk overall.  The course is short - under 5,000 yards and you're not constantly climbing hills.  But when you do, you might want to pause to catch your breath.  Some really good holes considering the challenge of the property.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »

Looks like a reclaimed strip mine in West Virginia

Not surprising, the whole place, with a few exceptions, was a former quarry site.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »

If you can make it up the hill to the first green, a par 4 of about 220 yards, you be all right. That is probably the steepest golfing slope I've ever encountered. Quite ingenious really, if your going to have a heart attack it will happen within 200 yards of the clubhouse!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »

If you can make it up the hill to the first green, a par 4 of about 220 yards, you be all right. That is probably the steepest golfing slope I've ever encountered. Quite ingenious really, if your going to have a heart attack it will happen within 200 yards of the clubhouse!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
Quite ingenious really, if your going to have a heart attack it will happen within 200 yards of the clubhouse!

And after you drop to the ground, you're likely to roll all the way back to the tee, next to the road where the ambulance can back up and load you in!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back