News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

The best compliment I've ever recieved
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
Last week I had a friend and his wife visit my golf course. My friend is a golf fanatic, and fanatic may not be a strong enough word. He loves to play but I think he'd rather study architecture and talk about maintenance then play.

They didn't have time to play and I was very busy preparing for an upcoming project so they took a buggy, a few balls and a club or two, and went to tour the course. They were gone for about an hour.

My buddy is a well travel guy who has been on many, many golf trips and is smart enough to bring his wife along a lot of the time. She doesn't play golf but she has watched him play and listened to the endless banter that only golf nuts can carry on for hours at a time.

They seemed to have a good time and on they went. After they were gone for about 30 minutes I received a text from my friend...it was a quote from his wife..."this is so different. Its the first course you've ever showed me that makes me want to play golf"

That may be the best compliment I've ever received.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: The best compliment I've ever recieved
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
Its the little things that keep you going, eh?

My own personal best compliment was that I was okay when sober, but I'm not sure he really meant it.....

Actually, a long time club corp guy I was working with, and the kind of guy who defines good manners and class, looked up one day on the project and out of nowhere said that he had never heard anyone in the industry bad mouth me or have a bad thing to say. Of course, he was so classy that I would expect him to say that even if someone had compared me to a serial killer.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
Geez Brauer,

Bad day?

Little things? I guess so, but when someone who has been around the game and golf courses a lot sees a course and that course inspires him/her to want to play...that's a bad thing? Might actually be worth a little research as participation continues to wane.
I thought it was cool to hear.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »
Don, I thought it was a huge compliment.  But I didn't want to say anything because people are starting to make fun of me for having nothing but positive things to say all the time. 

In fact, Mike Whitaker laughed at me during our match at Dismal.  John Lyon (a really good player by the way) ran a putt about 8 feet by the hole, but he just missed hitting the cup and most likely banging that putt in (I think for par).  And I said, "Nice run at it John."  Mike laughed and made a comment about me only seeing good things.  Oh well.  That is who I am.

Anyway, I thought the compliment was cool.  Was it at Wolf Point?  Do know what specifically made her say that?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
If you don't play golf, Wolf Point will make you want to start.  If you do, Wolf Point will reinvigorate your enthusiasm. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
Geez Brauer,

DELETED.

Thought the better of it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
The best 'complaint' could be "theres no water in the ball washers"..... when the members, guests or visitors say that you know your course is good.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Doug Siebert

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:12:17 AM »
Dismal River must be REALLY good then because it doesn't have any ball washers ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »
What was the course? Fanatical golfers want to know.

Fantastic compliment by the way.
Mr Hurricane

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
Jim, I think it's a given when Don says "his course". Wolf Point is his baby. He's the guy who gets to love it, feel it, nurture it, everyday.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back