News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Re: August 17 Dunes Club GCA Play Day
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
Looking forward to seeing a few photos and accounts of the day. One day I will take up Terry on his kind offer to visit The Dunes.

Mark, I have a number of photos that I just put up on Facebook.  I can post them on this thread, or I can do a separate hole-by-hole thread.  I know John Mayhugh took a few photos as well, though I don't know if he was planning on posting them.  I can do whatever people would prefer.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2011, 05:16:16 PM »
Thanks to Terry for arranging a great day.  I really enjoyed the golf course.  Dunes Club has just about everything you need, and very little that you don't.

I did manage to take a few photos, but not nearly enough for a proper tour.  I'll be glad to post them, but probably cannot do that for a few days.

Michael George

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »

I had my lovely caddie take a photo of every tee, approach and looking back at the hole.  I have not had an opportunity to look at them, but will post them over the weekend.

Terry - when did the drinks end last night?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2011, 10:06:40 PM »

I had my lovely caddie take a photo of every tee, approach and looking back at the hole.  I have not had an opportunity to look at them, but will post them over the weekend.

Terry - when did the drinks end last night?

Not until very late! There were some hangdog looking golfers this morning!!!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2011, 10:08:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing a few photos and accounts of the day. One day I will take up Terry on his kind offer to visit The Dunes.
Keep sowing those seeds, my friend!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael George

« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »
While I don't think Mark Saltzman has anything to worry about, I did finally learn how to post pictures.  Here are my photos from Terry Lavin's Dunes Club GCA Play Day.  One great day on the course.  My great female caddie took the photos.  She did not get pictures of #6, probably because she was in shock that I had 2 birdie putts both times I played it :o  Thanks again Terry.

Hole 1 - Par 4

Hole 2 - Par 3  - See 2 different tees at 180 degree angles

Hole 3 - Par 5 

Hole 4 - Par 4

Hole 5 - Par 4

Hole 7 - Par 4

Hole 8 - Par 5  Last Picture is my favorite shot on the course

Hole 9 - Par 4

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:39:56 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Terry Lavin

« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »
MG:

If I'm not mistaken, that very same female caddie won an Evans Scholarship this year!

Tomorrow, we have our final day of candidate interviews and we have something like 20 candidates.  The biggest day of their lives.  All of it possible because of the generosity of golfers who recognize how much it means to give a kid a couple rungs on the ladder of life through a free college education, all because they carried a bag and learned about the game of golf and a little bit about life.

We might have to have another Dunes Club day this year, or maybe Beverly instead, since it's more convenient.  More later...

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael George

« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »
Terry:

She was as nice of a person as I have met on a golf course.  Plus she was a good caddie.  Had an erratic player that day, but I tipped her well.

Thanks again, especially for putting up with me in your group.  Great day.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:43:04 PM by Michael George »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
Also, the Dunes has cut down hundreds of trees, which is a very good thing.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »
Great photos and memories of a special day with GCAers.

Also, the Dunes has cut down hundreds of trees, which is a very good thing.

Any chance it includes the menacing tree that hangs over the fairway on #8?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:19:28 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Martin

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:35 AM »
Mike-Great pictures. Dunes Club looks awesome!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, that very same female caddie won an Evans Scholarship this year!

Tomorrow, we have our final day of candidate interviews and we have something like 20 candidates.  The biggest day of their lives.  All of it possible because of the generosity of golfers who recognize how much it means to give a kid a couple rungs on the ladder of life

Awesome Terry!!  Awesome!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
Mike-Great pictures. Dunes Club looks awesome!

+1

Well worth the wait!

John McCarthy

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
MG:

Tomorrow, we have our final day of candidate interviews and we have something like 20 candidates.  The biggest day of their lives.  All of it possible because of the generosity of golfers who recognize how much it means to give a kid a couple rungs on the ladder of life through a free college education, all because they carried a bag and learned about the game of golf and a little bit about life.

We might have to have another Dunes Club day this year, or maybe Beverly instead, since it's more convenient.  More later...

I sat through that interview many years ago.  At that time you sit alone at a chair in front of about forty guys peppering you with questions.  Most of the questioning was nice but I was grilled about my lack of prowess with the Spanish language (thankyouverymuch Mrs. Kelly for that C) and then someone asked what I felt was the solution to the troubles in Northern Ireland.  Still don't know the answer to that one.

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Bill Seitz

« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
Here's a link to the photo thread I posted last year.  As should be obvious from the quality of the photos, I barely rise to the level of amateur photographer. 
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49414.0.html

J_ Crisham

« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
MG:

Tomorrow, we have our final day of candidate interviews and we have something like 20 candidates.  The biggest day of their lives.  All of it possible because of the generosity of golfers who recognize how much it means to give a kid a couple rungs on the ladder of life through a free college education, all because they carried a bag and learned about the game of golf and a little bit about life.

We might have to have another Dunes Club day this year, or maybe Beverly instead, since it's more convenient.  More later...

I sat through that interview many years ago.  At that time you sit alone at a chair in front of about forty guys peppering you with questions.  Most of the questioning was nice but I was grilled about my lack of prowess with the Spanish language (thankyouverymuch Mrs. Kelly for that C) and then someone asked what I felt was the solution to the troubles in Northern Ireland.  Still don't know the answer to that one.

John, I also sat thru that interview at Golf 30 yrs ago last month-remember it like it was yesterday. Where did you caddy and where are you a Scholar alum from?

John McCarthy

« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »
MG:

Tomorrow, we have our final day of candidate interviews and we have something like 20 candidates.  The biggest day of their lives.  All of it possible because of the generosity of golfers who recognize how much it means to give a kid a couple rungs on the ladder of life through a free college education, all because they carried a bag and learned about the game of golf and a little bit about life.

We might have to have another Dunes Club day this year, or maybe Beverly instead, since it's more convenient.  More later...

I sat through that interview many years ago.  At that time you sit alone at a chair in front of about forty guys peppering you with questions.  Most of the questioning was nice but I was grilled about my lack of prowess with the Spanish language (thankyouverymuch Mrs. Kelly for that C) and then someone asked what I felt was the solution to the troubles in Northern Ireland.  Still don't know the answer to that one.

John, I also sat thru that interview at Golf 30 yrs ago last month-remember it like it was yesterday. Where did you caddy and where are you a Scholar alum from?

Caddied at Butler National and graduated from U of Illinois.  And you sir?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Michael George

« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Bill:

I tried to find your thread as I remembered it, but couldn't locate it.  Sorry.

In response to many comments, it was a great day with a great group of people.  I played with Terry and Jim Franklin and loved getting to know both of them.  Terry is a lot of fun to play with and just has a great attitude of enjoying life.  Jim may dress funny (he is the one in the Miami Hurricane colors and orange shoes), but he has game (that being said, I will be taking you down next time we play - it was just 1st gca outing nerves).  

I enjoyed my long conversation with John Kavanaugh, learning about his family and that there really is a great guy behind that gca curtain.  

I enjoyed meeting Michael Whitaker and wondering how anyone gets a golf calendar like he had last year - yes that is jealousy.  Honestly, how do you get that calendar?

I also enjoyed meeting John Mayhugh and John Kirk and realizing what real passion for gca is.  One of my favorite memories was John Mayhugh telling me why he belongs to his club (around 4 hours from his home) because he just did not like the offerings in Louisville, Ky.  Being a "rookie", I asked about Valhalla - if you had to guess he said "no".  I talk a good game about my tastes in gca, but that is living by it.

I also enjoyed meeting Sven Nilsen before the round and having dinner with him after the round.  Just a good all around guy who is really similar to me and a lot of my friends - I think that is a good thing, but not really sure.

Thanks to everyone that made my first go around at a gca event so great.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
The Bev and Marquette University. Were you at our dinner at Erie Cafe back in February? If so I think we met-you live in Elmhurst?

Bill Seitz

« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
Bill:

I tried to find your thread as I remembered it, but couldn't locate it.  Sorry.

Hey, no problem.  The more pictures the better. 

John McCarthy

« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
The Bev and Marquette University. Were you at our dinner at Erie Cafe back in February? If so I think we met-you live in Elmhurst?

I was there and I did live in Elmhurst.  Sorry but I met a lot of folks that night and names and faces have always been a problem for me.  I'm sure I'd remember when we do meet again.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back