News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

The Joys of Walking on an Open Track
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »
Lurking on this website over the last many years slowly made me realize what I had lost by becoming a cart-golf guy. I barely noticed that it was happening. As a kid I walked a minimum of 27 holes 5 or 6 days a week.  My dad and I belonged to Harker's Hollow in Harmony New Jersey after I turned 16 and could drive there by myself, anyone that knows Harker's, an old Robert White built up against a mountain, knows what walking 27 or 36 a day entails. After college as I got serious about the game again the games I fell into were older guys' games with some action and they all rode carts. After grad school and having a "real job" less and less courses even allowed for walking on the weekends when I had the time to play. I still tried to walk when possible but once the kids showed up (stated as if I had nothing to do with it  ;D). and time became even more of a premium, even the weeknight strolls became rushing around the course in a cart catching some holes in the gaps in order to get home for bedtime. Then came the arthritis, bad feet, ... blah, blah, blah.

Once I moved out to Hershey 6.5 years ago I started playing at the nine-hole course, Spring Creek, a morning or two a week. It's 2125yds par 33 and I can walk it, while focused, in about 50 minutes teeing off at the first tee time. Over time, I realized that this was some of the best metaphysical moments that I was getting out of the game at this point in my life, and coupled with the conversation on this forum I slowly realized that this was part of the soul of the game that I had lost.

Last May I did 10 rounds in 8 days based out of St Andrews. The itinerary was, in order: Friday-Balcomie, Saturday-Jubilee and New, Sunday-Eden, Monday 36 at Kingbarnes, Tuesday-New, Wednesday-Old!, Thursday-Leven!, Friday-Carnoustie. I got myself in shape for the trip, at least what an arthritic 44 year old drinker with a serious job and a 4 and a 7 year old is capable of, and I really enjoyed the physical aspect of the trip. I would love to have another shot at Leven and Carnoustie in better shape though, I really loved Leven and really respected Carnoustie but was fairly worn by that time.

Last week I joined Hershey Country Club proper based on being blessed with time being the greater constraint when compared to finances. We finished the process last Thursday and I took Friday afternoon off to play the East Course, the George Fazio ca.1970 track. I walked by myself in 2 hours 50 minutes playing through one group on the tee of the 8th, a par 3, and otherwise had an open track in front of me. I was able to hit multiple practrice shots at times and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The club has 3 full courses plus the 9 hole course mentioned above. At least one course is designated as fully walking each day. God willing, my feet and legs strenghten as I expect and I can refind some of the pleasure and fun I got from the game as a kid when I was able to run around a course and learn and play in the sense that my four year old son talks about playing.

Cart-ball, as driven by both the public game's need for revenues and the myth that carts speed play, is fairly insidious in that it has become the norm to the point where even people that know better do not have a rerasonable choice. Speaking as an economist, it appears that the game as it was played by our fathers and grandfathers has become a "luxury good" with caddies becoming a "premium good" independent of what golfers would "want" if the choices were available.

Bill_McBride

Re: The Joys of Walking on an Open Track
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
Melvyn loves you.  It's a great game.

Sorry you missed Lundin Links at the opposite end of Leven.   I haven't played Leven, I hope we both get to play the opposite soon.   Lundin is a wonderful links.  There's a lot of great golf in Fife.

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
Jim -

Great post!  I love walking, which I do probably 90% of the time.  I've always felt more connected to the game, the course, the guys in my group, when walking.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »
When you ride for too long,you start referring to a golf course as  a "track."

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:29:39 AM »
Jim,

Isn't Leven fun?  It seems to get missed here, with Lundin getting the plaudits but it really does have loads going for it.  That's a good set of courses you got in, though you'll have to go back some time, you missed Elie!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
I agree completely.  Being able to walk the course in an area surrounded by unwalkable real-estate development "tracks" was the key reason I joined my club. 

While serving as head of membership, I tried to get people to at least walk part of the course.  We have 4-baggers on the carts.  By the end of the round, they wanted no part of driving a cart.  We don't have a formal caddie program and members can carry their own bags or use a trolley.

My wife and I walked 18 in under 2:45 Sunday with no one in front or behind.  That was perfect.

Alex Castro

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
I love walking, it's one of my favorite things of every day golf, especially if it's the early morning or late afternoon.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »
Mark - I loved Leven. It was not in very good shape last May and I would love to get another chance with both the course and myself in better shape. There was so much good golf there with a ton of fun shots. Lundin definitely looked to be in better shape across the wall. I wanted to play Elie really badly but just didn't have the time.

Looking back on the trip the courses that I could see really enjoying on a regular basis would be Crail, Leven and the New. I really liked the golf on all three. Having daily access to the Old would be a dream but I can't really ever seeing that as a possibility.

Joey Chase

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
Jim,
I agree with everything you said.  For me, the sound of your clubs clanging as you walk on an empty course is heaven.  This is maybe the reason why I loved Machrihanish so much.  I had the course to myself for 36 holes in the middle of July!  I had a friend that played out of Garden City and he welcomed me to play it several times with him.  Every time I showed up he had a cart ready for us to ride on.  I really think that is blasphemy!  I can't wait for an opportunity to play it with my clubs on my back!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back