News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Favorite Munis not named Bethpage, Torrrey or Rustic Canyon
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
The obvious question is:  what do you care for in a muni?  What makes one special?  Over the years, I've come to realize that the architecture means basically BUPKIS in the grand scheme of it all.

To me, what actually matters in a muni are (1) pace of play and (2) more importantly, the likelyhood that you will be paired up with some guy that in all your years playing golf in Lord knows how many places, you've never heard of, but after a few holes, you realize quickly that this guy can kick your ass unless you bring your Sunday-best, A+ game. THAT, to me, is what makes munis special...

Almost posted this same exact thought; the first part, anyway. The second part is similar, I was also thinking of the people, but more in the sense of the characters you meet.

I love my home muni, North Park GC, about 15 miles north of the Burgh. It will always be special to me, for so many different reasons.

It just feels like golf, to quote a friend. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Cirba

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
Sheesh...How could I forget Mark Twain?   Age, I guess.  :(

Nearby Soaring Eagles, home of Joey Sindelar, is very good, as well.

In fact, New York might have the best public golf system, but most of these courses, including Bethpage and Montauk, are part of the state-park system, so I'm not sure any of them should actually qualify as a true muni.

Green Lakes State Park near Syracuse is also really good and is a great example of early RTJ Sr.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:23:40 AM by MCirba »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
Kalen,
I believe Soldier Hollow is part of the Wasatch State Park system which I think makes it a Muni. It was where cross country ski races were held in the Olympics. It looks state run. Then there are 2 other courses at Wasatch Mountain (Lake and Mountain) which are also solid solid tracks, again, not the most walkable (ok the Lake course ain't bad). But as someone who lives in Brooklyn, the views and conditions of those four can make a man drool without even getting into the 40 dollar greens fee with a cart. It's just too bad that state wont let you sell decent beer.

Robert,

Agreed on that account.  The sheer amount of good public golf options in northern Utah combined with thier cheap green fees and ease of making tee times really was a delight.  However, one must also take the bad with the good..

P.S.  There were a few decent beers to be had in Utah, but you had to get them from the state run liquor stores.  Anything over 4% alcohol can only be sold there...by law.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »
The Knoll in New Jersey

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2011, 02:18:37 PM »
I grew up in Aurora and thought very highly of the city golf offerings. Murphy Creek is the star, for sure, though when I lived there it was in the middle of nowhere. Saddle Rock is a solid course with plenty of good holes and I played Meadow Hills and Aurora Hills all the time growing up so I know them both very well. Meadow Hills is a fun, but extremely tight, course. AH is almost the definition of forgettable.

Centre Hills is a nice little 9-hole par 3 course with a good practice facility, as well.

I hated Meadow Hills.  There were so many trees that I didn't know where the playing corridors actually were supposed to be.

LOL @ there being playing corridors at Meadow Hills. That's about as tough as a 6400-yd course at altitude could be.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
Aguila in Phoenix is a good muni. I think it's a better course than Papago, which has always gotten more ink.

Randolph North in Tucson is a decent track that used to host an LPGA event.

John Keenan

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
Harding Park   San Francisco

Pacific Grove   Pacific Grove Ca  (Monterey Penn)

9 hole

Gleneagles   San Francisco

Fleming     San Francisco

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
Yeah, Mark Twain is a tough one to forget--really cool Donald Ross course on a mountain side in the southern tier of New York. Great set of greens, cool par fives, four uphill par threes.  Definitely one to play.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tim Leahy

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
Brookside #1 & #2 in Pasadena
Manakiki in Cleveland
Buffalo Creek in Palmetto, FL
Pacific Grove in Monterey
Swope Memorial in Kansas City

I will second Brookside. Used to play there almost every weekend when I lived in Glendale. The Championship course, No. 2 I think, was a really good test. Super slow play but I used to work on my chiipping while waiting on the tees and my short game was never better.

I also used to really like Rancho Park in LA. It took 6 hours to play and at least two hours on the waiting list but I loved the layout, smell of the eucalyptis trees and the Kikuyu grass fairways.

Here is Sacramento we have a pretty good muni that used to be ranked in the top 50 and that is Ancil Hoffman Park. Designed by Bill Bell and right next to the American River it has plenty of shade trees and a good layout.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
The ones I can recall at the moment:

Simsbury Farms, Simsbury, CT
Richter Park (CT)
Harding Park
Montauk Downs
Coronado
Chambers Bay
Tangle Ridge (TX)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
Connecticut
Shennecossett Golf Club-Groton
Timberlin Golf Club-Berlin
Richter Park-Danbury
Rockledge Golf Club-West Hartford

Rhode Island-
Triggs Memorial-Providence

Tim-
It's been over 20 years since I last played there, so perhaps they've improved it, but Rockledge? 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »

I will second Brookside. Used to play there almost every weekend when I lived in Glendale. The Championship course, No. 2 I think, was a really good test. Super slow play but I used to work on my chiipping while waiting on the tees and my short game was never better.

I think course two has gotten better over the years, and has had some length added, but I'm pretty sure the championship course is course #1.  It used to be a monster in the persimmon and balata days.  It's still a pretty tough test, and usually in decent shape for the amount of play that it gets.  Especially when you consider that it's a parking lot about 8-12 times per year between UCLA football games, the Rose Bowl, and the occasional soccer game or concert. 

PCCraig

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
George Wright is Boston is also a pretty neat Donald Ross muni, just south of the City.
H.P.S.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
Pat,

I was very surprised how bold the routing was at George Wright, and how cool many of the greens are.   It was a real treat, and I had played somewhere very special that morning by way of contrast.

Also forgot Papago, which I think is terrific.

John Nixon

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
Here are some munis that I have very much enjoyed:
Eagle Creek  - Indianapolis

Not quite the same as originally designed by Dye, but still very enjoyable.

As long as we're in Indy, I'll toss in Coffin Golf Course, near downtown along the White River. Tim Liddy designed it, and despite some flooding-related maintenance issues, a very challenging layout.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Sleepy Hollow in Cleveland.

Mark Twain in Elmira NY.

Sleepy Hollow   +1
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
Agree with Pat Craig re: Keller GC.

It doesn't get the respect it merits, even around here. Some really good holes, and a good walk.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tim Martin

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »
Connecticut
Richter Park-Danbury

Rhode Island-

Tim-
It's been over 20 years since I last played there, so perhaps they've improved it, but Rockledge? 

Carl-They have made quite a few improvements in the last 20 years for sure including some renovations to 7,9,10,16, and 18. They have also improved drainage,irrigation and made some really nice aesthetic changes via stone work around many of the tees. I guess I have a soft spot as it in my hometown. :)

David Kelly

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
Unfortunately Brookside in Pasadena has undergone a lackluster renovation by Harbottle the last few years.  Its not bad work but it is piecemeal and uninspired and is unfortunate because a lot could have been done with those two courses.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
Lakeview - a city of Mississauga course - Herbert Strong design, from around 1911 I believe. Don't know that it's been changed much. I think it's just around the corner (but 'miles away') from the prestgious Toronto Golf Club, the 1911 Colt design.

Peter

Carl Nichols

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Connecticut
Richter Park-Danbury

Rhode Island-

Tim-

Carl-They have made quite a few improvements in the last 20 years for sure including some renovations to 7,9,10,16, and 18. They have also improved drainage,irrigation and made some really nice aesthetic changes via stone work around many of the tees. I guess I have a soft spot as it in my hometown. :)

Well, I listed Simsbury Farms, so I hear you . . . .

Mark Johnson

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »
Chaska town course.  Chested us am with hazel tine.  Great 7200 course that gets way too much play.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
Chaska town course.  Chested us am with hazel tine.  Great 7200 course that gets way too much play.

That's where I keep my handicap, and practice a lot. (Adequate driving range. Excellent short game area.)

I think "great" overstates the case, but it's certainly a way-better-than-average muni.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Matt Bosela

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »
Lakeview - a city of Mississauga course - Herbert Strong design, from around 1911 I believe. Don't know that it's been changed much. I think it's just around the corner (but 'miles away') from the prestgious Toronto Golf Club, the 1911 Colt design.

Peter

+1

Lakeview is a real treat - it's actually right across the street from TGC and there is something quite fascinating about having one of the most exclusive courses in the country sitting right beside one of the most accessible.

King's Forest in Hamilton is another excellent muni - the Matt Broman design from the mid-70s was awarded a spot near the bottom of the most recent ScoreGolf Top 100 in Canada ranking.

Robert West

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2011, 02:11:18 AM »
Anybody play Glen Brook in the Poconos? I'm making a trip nearby and was wondering if anything White put there remains... Seems to be a bargain, I might just stick with Shawnee though depending on the free time... A true muni though, for six years at least.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back