News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nelson

Re: Favorite Munis not named Bethpage, Torrrey or Rustic Canyon
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
Incline Village Championship course.  Great mountain setting.  The original architect was RTJ Sr. with a recent redo by Kyle Phillips.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
I too thought Murphy Creek is a really solid course.  But, and its a big BUT!!....

...its a shame about the back 9 and the corresponding housing.  The narrowness really gets silly on a couple of holes and the housing component just leaves a bit of a sour taste on the whole. Its too bad because the course could really be in that "Fantastic Range".

IE.  Its probably a 5 to 5.5 on the Doak Scale, but could easily be a 7...

Alex Miller

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
It's probably because the golf around the Nashville area is so bad, but I really really enjoyed Harpeth Hills. I was probably looking as much at what it could be as what it was, but it provided some fun golf and solid golf holes.

David Kelly

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
Brookside #1 & #2 in Pasadena
Manakiki in Cleveland
Buffalo Creek in Palmetto, FL
Pacific Grove in Monterey
Swope Memorial in Kansas City
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
Jeffersonville (Ross w/ a renostoration by Prichard) is a fine muni outside of Philly.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
I have to back Steve's Lederach suggestion.  Make that course a good walk and I would be in 7th heaven.  Even with the bad walk its my favourite muni I have played in the States.

I have always been fond of Leslie Park in Ann Arbor - same for Cascades in Jackson. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Dave Herrick

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
Adding to the Denver-area theme, I dare say that if I could play only the privately-owned or only the publicly-owned public-access courses, I might choose the latter. As well as the courses previously mentioned one could add Fox Hollow (City of Lakewood), Riverdale Dunes (Adams County), Fossil Trace (City of Golden) and Wellshire (Denver). If the category were stretched to include non-for-profit-owned courses, Commonground (CGA-owned) could be added.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »
It gets no better that Pacific Grove.  That's the Mt. Everest of munis....

You need to get out more.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ted Cahill

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »
Sinnissippi Golf Cse, Rockford, IL 9 Holes

Here's a fun little 18-holer not far from Sinnissippi run by the local forest district:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41510.0.html

Indeed- have been here many times- a roller coaster final 3 holes.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Tom Yost

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
Dobson Ranch -  Mesa AZ
Weatherwax - Middletown OH

astavrides

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »
I grew up in Aurora and thought very highly of the city golf offerings. Murphy Creek is the star, for sure, though when I lived there it was in the middle of nowhere. Saddle Rock is a solid course with plenty of good holes and I played Meadow Hills and Aurora Hills all the time growing up so I know them both very well. Meadow Hills is a fun, but extremely tight, course. AH is almost the definition of forgettable.

Centre Hills is a nice little 9-hole par 3 course with a good practice facility, as well.

I hated Meadow Hills.  There were so many trees that I didn't know where the playing corridors actually were supposed to be.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »
Ooops...how could I have forgotten about Jeffersonville? The Ross course is owned and operated by East Norriton Twp in the Philly 'burbs . The Ron Prichard redo propelled Jville to the top of the munis in the area unless your cup of tea is Inniscrone.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Robert West

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
Anybody play the Soldier Hollow courses outside of Park City UT?  Not the most walkable but I've had great pace of play amazing views and top notch conditioning when I've teed it up there.  The Gold course is a spectacular track.  And its less than fifty bucks I believe...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »
In western New York...Sheridan Park in Tonawanda (near Buffalo); Hyde Park North in Niagara Falls; Durand-Eastman (near Rochester); Deerwood Fawn nine only in North Tonawanda (a Scott Witter nine!!)

In Winston-Salem, N.C....Winston Lakes, what used to be known as the "black course" for a different reason than Bethpage
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
Ron M:

YES!!! on Winston Lake.  Most GCAers would love this place.  6,200 yards, lots of rolling terrain, some great bunkerless holes, a killer set of par threes, and a really fun short par five at the 3rd.  It's an Ellis Maples course from the late 50s, and yes, it was built as the "black" course for the city of Winston-Salem at the end of Jim Crow.  Reynolds Park was the "white" course.  I don't think it has ever been more than 10 bucks to play there either.

Oak Hollow in High Point, North Carolina.  This is maybe 30 minutes from Winston Lake, and it is even better.  It is a 1971 Pete Dye layout, built on undulating terrain on the peninsula of a manmade lake.  It has some great green complexes, very heroic holes along the lake, and some well-placed railroad ties in typical Dye form.  Dixie GCAers: this one is a must-see.

I agree with the mentions of Lederach, INNISCRONE, and Cobb's Creek in the Philly area.  Jeffersonville is a neat layout from what I could tell walking around the property with Kyle H.  The other phenomenal muni there is Paxon Hollow.  5,700 yards over wild land, with a routing by J. Franklin Meehan and bunker work by Hanse associate Jim Wagner.  That course is tons of fun, and there isn't a single boring hole out there.  Check out the Cape 1st hole and the phenomenal stretch of golf from 8 to 13.  Oh, and the ridgeline par three at 15 isn't bad either.

Ron, Durand Eastman is a very neat course, but it is just painful to think of how good it was with the original Trent Jones routing and bunkering.  Still, many holes, like the starting hole off the cliff, the par three 3rd, the halfpipe 9th, and the dynamite finishing stretch make it worth seeing.  Just don't expect the condition to be any good.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

RJ_Daley

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
My own home course ain't too bad, Brown County GC - Ed Lawrence Packard-1958.  Speaking of Riverside by R B Harris, 1924 and my course Brown Co by Packard, one of Harris's protege, more RB Harris lineage with Devil's Thumb in Delta Co, by Rick Phelps, son of Dick Phelps, protege of Harris.  Harris sent many a protege out to spread the seed in the municipal world including Killian and Nugent who did Madison's Yahara 36 hole complex and many more.  I'm not sure if Jack Snyder and his protege Forrest Richardson can trace any relationship of Jack's to RB, but Forrest received acclaim for the "Hideout" in Utah.

For you list makers and researchers, the subject of a book or lengthy pamphlet with municipal course locations, history, pricing and commentary on the design merits, might be an interesting reference to have.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
Best in New Mexico has to be Pinon Hills in Farmington. Marty Sanchez in Santa Fe is pretty good too. In El Paso, I think highly of Butterfield Trail.

Eastwood in Fort Myers, FL is well worth playing and far less expensive than the others in that area. Its hard to get on, however.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
Anybody play the Soldier Hollow courses outside of Park City UT?  Not the most walkable but I've had great pace of play amazing views and top notch conditioning when I've teed it up there.  The Gold course is a spectacular track.  And its less than fifty bucks I believe...

Robert,

I've played the Gold course and yes it is a really good track, especially that back 9.  I wasn't sure if it was a muni or not, so I didn't include it in my previous post.

Greg Clark

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 11:31:51 PM »
DFW area:
Texas Star - Euless
Tierra Verde - Arlington
Tangle Ridge - Grand Prarie
Tenison Highlands - Dallas

Waveland in Des Moines, IA is a good one.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 05:58:51 AM »
Shellharbour Links

Musselburgh Links

Mark Pearce

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »
It gets no better that Pacific Grove.  That's the Mt. Everest of munis....

You need to get out more.

Quite.  I have played and enjoyed Pacific Grove but I'd take George Wright ahead of it every time.

No mention here of The Old Course, St Andrews?  Or Carnoustie?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
George Wright - Boston
Wilmington - NC
Cobbs Creek - Philly
Jeffersonville - East Norriton
Mount Pleasant - Baltimore
West Palm Beach - FL
Bonneville - Salt Lake City
Coronado - Coronado
Cedar Creek - San Antonio

Robert West

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
Kalen,
I believe Soldier Hollow is part of the Wasatch State Park system which I think makes it a Muni. It was where cross country ski races were held in the Olympics. It looks state run. Then there are 2 other courses at Wasatch Mountain (Lake and Mountain) which are also solid solid tracks, again, not the most walkable (ok the Lake course ain't bad). But as someone who lives in Brooklyn, the views and conditions of those four can make a man drool without even getting into the 40 dollar greens fee with a cart. It's just too bad that state wont let you sell decent beer.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
I forgot about it, and am actually suprised no one else has mentioned it. 

Gold Mountain Golf Course (Olympic Course) in Bremerton, WA

This is a very good test, in a glorious setting.   This would definitely rank up there for 36 hole municipal facitilites in the country. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
Sleepy Hollow in Cleveland.

Mark Twain in Elmira NY.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back