News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Awarii Dunes GC, Axtell, NE (Engh) - Photos
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
I didn't have my camera with me for the first five holes (but I did get a couple shots of 2 as it is right by 9), so the photos will begin at 6.

Yardages are approximate since I don't have a scorecard with me, but they are from the 6900 yard black (back) tees (72.2/126 I think).

Hole 2: Par 3. 195 Yards

Hole 6: Par 4, 410 Yards

Approach

Green - I could see this being a 'controversial' Engh green.  That ridge in the middle of the green is about 6 feet high.  On another thread Mr. Doak mentioned people complaining if they could not get a putt to within 6-8 feet of the hole.  From many positions to the pin I played, less than 10 feet is impossible (I dropped a ball at the top of the slope so it had zero speed and it rolled at least 10 feet past the hole).

From short

From right

From behind

Hole 7: Par 4, 410 Yards

Approach from right

Approach from left

Green - could be another controversial one, but really fun. 

Green from right

Green from left

Hole 8: Par 4, 425 Yards

Approach from right

Approach from left

From behind

Hole 9: Par 5, 530 Yards

A look back at the undulating fairway

Approach from 250

Approach from 100

Short of green

Green

From front

From right

From Behind

Mark Saltzman

Re: Awarii Dunes GC, Axtell, NE (Engh) - Photos
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
Hole 10: Par 4, 365 Yards

Approach from right

Approach from left

Green

Hole 11: Par 3, 190 Yards

Hole 12: Par 5, 590 Yards

Second from 300ish

Approach from 100

Short Right

Short left

Back right

Hole 13: Par 3, 105 Yards

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
Hole 14, Par 5, 510 Yards

From 225 from Left

From 225 from Right

From 100

Green

Green from back left

Hole 15: Par 3, 215 Yards

Hole 16: Par 4, 395 Yards

Approach from Left

Approach from right

From Short right

From Long left

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
Mark...

When you have the time please share your thoughts, opinions, and take on the pros and cons of the course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
Hole 17: Par 4, 400 Yards - a darned cool hole

Approach from 175

Approach from 150

Approach from 100

From short of green

From right

From behind

Hole 18: Par 5, 615 Yards

2nd from 350 from left

2nd from 300 from right

From 150

From 100

Short of green

From behind

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »
Is AD officially open? If so, have they had some rough grow-in seasons? I'm trying to understand the patches in the fairways.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »
Is AD officially open? If so, have they had some rough grow-in seasons? I'm trying to understand the patches in the fairways.

Ron,

they are officially open - I believe they opened Memorial Day weekend.  I was told that they have had terrible weather since they opened, including 3 inches of rain just before they opened.  There were some very rough spots in the fairways, but the greens were in surprisingly good condition given their newness.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »
Mark, You are a new GCA God. Your pix are amazing and your eye is better.

RM, Yes, it's been a tough spring for new growth. The amazing part is the back nine looks better than the front. And the front was seeded earlier. Since I have been there and played just a few of the holes I can tell you that the spots do not affect play, in the least. Those will grow in eventually and the course should become the gateway to the prairie links corridor.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
Awarii has just enough fairway grass but too much rough grass. A forgivable feature early in it's evolution. Good news for the payers, they are having a summer sale.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:36:59 PM by John Kavanaugh »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 12:47:59 AM »
It seems like the weather has gone against them with the significant amounts of rain they got, at the wrong time when they have to apply a larger amount of fertilizer to promote the grow in, along with the normal irrigation drift in their generally high winds, and too much runoff from the rain.  That will really light up the rough with unwanted woody brush and broadleaf plants that will be all that much harder to eradicate.  I wonder if controlled grass fire burns of the rough in fall or spring are a permitted activity at that particular suburban location. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »
Awarii has just enough fairway grass but too much rough grass. A forgivable feature early in it's evolution. Good news for the payers, they are having a summer sale.

The fairways in many places are very, very wide.  Even if the rough is too long (I didn't notice, I was in every fairway!), it still only penalizes really bad shots.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
Wow; some wild features out there.  How does one pronounce "Awarii," exactly?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 10:34:20 AM »
Kent's a great guy.  I wish him well with this venture.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »
Some of those greens looked very excellent with some massive elevation differentials in them.  Looks like a lot of fun putts to be had out there!

Noel Freeman

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
I visited Awarii Dunes two weekends ago.  Played Wild Horse in the AM and watched part of the finals of the Nebraska State Amateur take place under very firm conditions.  

I would say I left with a mixed opinion of AD with full understanding that one tour and visit is not enough to understand/vet all of its features.

The course had a lot of standing water on it in spots, I'm not sure if this is a surface drainage issue or something from the grow in.  It did have thunderstorms the night before but both Wild Horse and Dismal were bone dry the same day (although you cannot compare Sand Hills topography) to a course that is a long way from either of those.  As some of Mark's pictures show, there are swaths of fairways missing turf or are just plain dirt so I was not sure if this is just growing pains or if the rustic motif is meant to emulate the wild conditions of NW Ireland.  Having seen Yale suffer 2 of the last summers, I'm not adverse to these conditions, I'm just noting it looked like the course opened a bit early.

There were several things I liked, Engh is definitely trying to make the course fun and get people to come back using the same ball.  You can hit the ball almost anywhere and find it (unless plugged) and obviously that will give many joy.  

Engh disguised some features well.  For example the 1st fairway bottlenecks for the 2nd shot and you have to hit over a ridge to what is actually a 90 yard or so fairway.  I hit a hook and found my ball 30 yards from the native grasses well placed for my 3rd to the green.

*The pulpit green site on the 14th is a great visual and a tough 2nd shot either as a short par 5 (which the tees we played it from) or a long par 4--i think the hole is better this way.

*The course ends well with 17 and 18- I particularly liked the green site on the 18th with the chipping/bailout area on the right and the sliver of a green backed up firmly against a waste bunker.

*The course is walkable---I did ride and there is some distance from 9 green to 10 tee.

*To compare the course vs. the terrain of its West Nebraska cousins is not an argument worth having and I think it has to be viewed in isolation by itself.

I realize Jim Engh reached into his Carne/Rosapenna/Donegal pallete to design the course and be creative , but I think I would tire of the greens at some stage.  The 4th and 7th double green is interesting but for the fact that the spine thru it (when approaching from the 7th hole) is very severe and to my eye pins can only be put on a diagonal there. With firm conditions playing to a limited # of pins there (and this can be said for other holes) could become an issue.

Further more all of the punchbowls/multi-tiered while fun to play and let me say I think that is Engh's ethos--be fun to play-- get old to me, because they just arent natural-esque and can alternatively punish or reward shots by caprice.  They look engineered to my eye and in full disclosure I play a Raynor course as my home club.  Many of the bunkers looked only roughly shaped and unfinished with firm hard pack rather than sand.  They were obviously from the pictures not his usual muscle bunker forms.  I am guessing the rough aesthetic is inspired by NW Ireland and they will remain this way as the course matures. There are crazy features out there and that works for some, I like quirk too, I just feel there is too much here on a low profile landform/site.

The 109y par 3 13th made little sense to me.  When I saw it on the scorecard I thought it would feature a devlish tiny green.  Instead there is the biggest green on the course and the least severe.  What was the inspiration for this?

Overall I think the course is going to be private and thus fulfill whatever mandate a private club wants to have.  I would not label Awarii Dunes from my time there as a "destination course".  IE, unless I'm driving west from Omaha I would not make a special effort to seek it out, but that is solely my opinion.  On Tom Doak's scale I would say AD is a 5..Nothing wrong with that, just my own opinion from a visit.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:31:43 AM by NFreeman »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »

The 109y par 3 13th made little sense to me.  When I saw it on the scorecard I thought it would feature a devlish tiny green.  Instead there is the biggest green on the course and the least severe.  What was the inspiration for this?

NFreeman,

I had the exact same thought when I played 13.  The day I played there was very little wind, so I wonder if there is normally a severe cross or down-breeze on this hole.  Nevertheless, it felt very uninspired... just a way to get from 12 to 14.

I am not sure it is the flattest green on the course, 15, the next par 3 may take that title.  In fact, one of the things I noticed was that many of the greens were either (1) extremely severe (like the greens on 2, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 17), or (2) extremely flat (basically all of the rest).  I think this could cause a lot of debate about this golf course since many greens will be labelled 'unfair' and many others 'boring.'

Scott Weersing

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »

At first glance, the greens look wild and fun. The remind me of Mike Strantz greens in that you never see greens like those anywhere else.

I am not sure the course is great enough to be private. Why would they want a private course course in the middle of nowhere that is not as good as other private courses in the middle of nowhere?

How much change in elevation is there? Is one side of the course higher than the other?

I too wonder why the course lacks bunkers around the greens.

Jason Hines

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Mark or Anyone,

How did you find the playing aspects of the bent grass vs. the other courses in the area if possible?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Jim's NE work. I think Jim pushes the limit, which is good for both the soul and the game.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
Jason. My impressions of the turf choice were surprisingly good. One thing for certain was its consistency. Imo, it worked.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Richard Choi

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
I had an opportunity to play Awarii Dunes last week in between my rounds at Dismal and Ballynizzle. I stayed away from this thread before the trip since I didn't want it to influence my review, but now that I have played it, I am ready to join the discussion.

I think Awarii Dunes is bold, wild, and loads of fun. It has some really interesting and wild greens that make you go "Wow" when you look at it. The fairways are pretty wide, and have some interesting movements to them. And it is true that while there is distinct lack of greenside bunkers, I think the wild contours certainly more than make up for it in interest. There are some really fun par 4's like the punch bowl 17th which was a blast to play.

I really think this course shares the same DNA with Rustic Canyon with its really interesting greens and wide (flattish) fairways. I would have never guessed this is an Engh course if I didn't know it beforehand.

However, I cannot recommend anyone to visit this course right now. It is almost unplayable by mid to high handicappers.

And I am not talking about the spotty conditions. I couldn't care less about the bald spots and standing water. Stuff like that is going to happen with brand new courses. I thought the greens were in super condition overall and rolled very smooth and true. Conditioning is not the problem...

... in the fairway. But if you venture off the fairway, there are loads of problems. First, the fairway collars are cut at about 4 to 6 inch, and I fail to see why they need to be so long. Fairways are rolling pretty well, which means even good drives may roll off low spots and roll into the collars at which point they are hard to find and difficult to hit out of, which makes little sense to me.

This is doubly troubling as any ball off the fairway is an automatic lost ball. The "natives" around the fairways are about knee high and thick as anything you will ever see. There is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that you will find ANY ball if you don't hit the fairways. I know the fairways are pretty wild, but mid and high handicappers will still miss them, and when they do, they need not bother looking for the ball as it is impossible to find.

To put it another way, just replace the natives with water surrounding every fairway and those fairways are going to look pretty narrow even with their inherent width. But that is basically what you have at Awarii Dunes. You top a drive? Lost ball. You hit a slice? Lost ball. Missed the green on the wrong side? Lost ball. You rolled the ball 10 yards in front of you into a rough? Lost ball. You get the idea.

To make the experience even MORE painful, they have UGLY eyebrows on every bunker. I drove right down the middle on the 1st hole which hit the fairway bunker and rolled up to the eyebrows. Lost ball. I hit a couple of other side bunkers and failed to find them. Lost ball. Lost ball.

I played 27 holes and lost 18 balls (I was going to play 36, but ran out of balls). I know I am not the straightest driver around, but this was a brand new territory even for me. In comparison, I lost about 3 or 4 balls per round at Dismal and 1 or 2 at Ballyneal.

Why they refuse to cut down the rough, I don't know. But I am guessing that they wanted to keep the slope and rating high enough to attract "good" golfers (especially with such wide fairways and large greens) and this was one way to artificially raise the slope. The receptionist at the clubhouse said they do plan to burn the natives during the off-season, but why they failed to do so before the opening is puzzling to me.

If you are the type who rarely miss fairways, you will probably do just fine like Mark, but if you have any bend to your shots, you should just skip the course and save the headaches and your balls.

I don't think I will be making a trek back to Awarii any time soon (if ever). I would much rather get extra rounds at Dismal or visit Prairie Club (or just keep driving to Wild Horse).

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »

I would have never guessed this is an Engh course if I didn't know it beforehand.

Really?  Even with three punchbowl greens on the course and the severe green undulations on 6, 7 and 9?  6 of the holes seem like trademark Engh.  You're right though, the other 12 holes don't feel like Engh.

If you have any bend to your shots, you should just skip the course and save the headaches and your balls.

Am I really the only one who thinks this sentence is hilarious?

I don't think I will be making a trek back to Awarii any time soon (if ever). I would much rather get extra rounds at Dismal or visit Prairie Club (or just keep driving to Wild Horse).

Rich, most of your post (except the complaints about the long grass) seemed like you enjoyed Awarii. Did you not like the course, or is it just that you do not think it is of the same quality as the other options?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »

I would have never guessed this is an Engh course if I didn't know it beforehand.

Really?  Even with three punchbowl greens on the course and the severe green undulations on 6, 7 and 9?  6 of the holes seem like trademark Engh.  You're right though, the other 12 holes don't feel like Engh.

If you have any bend to your shots, you should just skip the course and save the headaches and your balls.

Rich, most of your post (except the complaints about the long grass) seemed like you enjoyed Awarii. Did you not like the course, or is it just that you do not think it is of the same quality as the other options?

Mark,

I think the part he didn't enjoy was losing so many balls and shooting what i'm guessing would be north of 110+.

I've played a course like that before (Idaho Club) where I lost tons of balls and while it was interesting the one time, I don't think i'll be going back anytime soon.  In Richards case where so many epic options are now becoming abundant in that region, I'm guessing he feels the same.

P.S.  I played 27 holes at Ballyneal and sprayed my ball over the place....I only lost one ball and that's because I flew the ball over a 20 foot high dune some 60 yards to the right of my intended target.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 09:32:35 PM »

Mark,

I think the part he didn't enjoy was losing so many balls and shooting what i'm guessing would be north of 110+.

I've played a course like that before (Idaho Club) where I lost tons of balls and while it was interesting the one time, I don't think i'll be going back anytime soon.  In Richards case where so many epic options are now becoming abundant in that region, I'm guessing he feels the same.

P.S.  I played 27 holes at Ballyneal and sprayed my ball over the place....I only lost one ball and that's because I flew the ball over a 20 foot high dune some 60 yards to the right of my intended target.

Kalen,

Funny you mention Idaho Club, I was just there today and know how you feel.  I had 5 balls in my bag.  It was raining when I got there so I went inside and spoke to the pro for a bit.  I mentioned that I had heard the course is pretty hard.  He told me I had no idea how hard it was.  Earlier in the week he lost 7 balls in 9 holes. 

I went to the car to get more balls.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »
So how many balls did you lose today?   ;D

P.S.  I really liked the course, its just a tough mother!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back