News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Scottish Open at Castle Stuart
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
Daves,  Four lefties in one group?  As a former intruder, that is a match I would like to see.  Still hoping to come back one day to give you a chance to even up.

We have had four lefties on occasion, but it has been a while.

Lefty or not, you are welcome anytime.  (At least anytime on Sunday before 7 a.m.)
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
I have watched a little of this mediocre coverage.  It is obvious that Phil still brings over his target golf game to the British Isles.  In watching some of the Euros, they are knocking down a lot of shots.  Phil can and does that, but not well.  Same with Rory.  Don't bet on him next week.

I have no doubt I could kick Phil's butt in a Santa Ana wind at Rustic.  Saddle me with Moriarty though and it is a whole new story.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

David_Tepper

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »
"If the Scottish Open is deemed successful from a marketing/business perspective, does that mean RD could potentially host an Open?  Or is that an appropriate apples-apples comparison."

Matt MacIver -

The answers to your questions are no and no.

DT

JMEvensky

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18:51 PM »

I have no doubt I could kick Phil's butt in a Santa Ana wind at Rustic. 

PM probably thinks he could school you in HORSE--I'll take the under in each.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
Whats the chances Mr Montgomeries ball is still there in the morning ?

David Kelly

« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
I have no doubt I could kick Phil's butt in a Santa Ana wind at Rustic.  Saddle me with Moriarty though and it is a whole new story.
Lynn,

With a Santa Ana he probably gets to #1 in two with a 7iron or less.  He has a chip for his second on #2, he drives the green with an iron on #3, he can probably still get to #5 in two shots as well as #9.  Its debatable whether he can get on in two on #10, he is the only one in our group to reach #11 in regulation, he drives #12 with an iron, he may be able to reach #13 in two, he can drive #14 with a 3w or 2i, he has a chip for his second on #16 or drives it, and seeing as how I saw an elderly man drive #18 he can do that as well.

You better be rolling your rock that day.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
ISaddle me with Moriarty though and it is a whole new story.

LOL !!

David Kelly

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
The billboards right there in play are pretty obnoxious.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2011, 02:39:42 AM »
Not such good news ..The course is flooded, perhaps we spoke to soon about links golf. No play until at least 2.00 today to finish off yesterdays play.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2011, 05:15:18 AM »

Mark

I'm down at CS marshalling and was there yesterday for the pro-am. Campbell comes off the green I'm at and smiles and hands me his ball which I thought was a really nice gesture. A little while later I'm in the oncourse bookies and decide toback him and get 250/1 E/W. Imagine my delight when he gets to my hole (17th) this morning and is 4 under. Unfortunately he then bogies but never mind he's still in the hunt.

Niall

And how much did you put on at 250 to 1?  ;D
[/quote]

Only a couple of quid. I got talking to a Kiwi guy after and told him what I'd done. He looked at me as though I was bonkers.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2011, 05:25:46 AM »
Not such good news ..The course is flooded, perhaps we spoke to soon about links golf. No play until at least 2.00 today to finish off yesterdays play.

Adrian

I pitched up at 7am to be told that the golf was off until at least 2pm and that further news would be given at 12.30. The issue isn't so much the course but the surrounding roads and car park. Its very much a local issue as nearby Nairn is all right. Basically they are scared if the let cars in now the car park could turn into Glastonbury.

A great shame because the event has really caught the imagination of the locals. Yesterday over 15,000 turned up which is more than Loch Lomond last year.

Lynn

I've been on the 17th tee the last couple of days when Phil played through and I can tell you he is hitting the ball as low as anyone. Where he has struggled is the chipping and putting which he freely admitted.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2011, 06:04:12 AM »
There is no doubt in the SKY tv team that this is a links golf course. From my TV it certainly looks links too (fake or not).
Geo Peper and Malcolm Campbell in TRUE LINKS say that it is a links course.   Amazing TV the past two weeks, Old MacDonald vs Castle Stuart.  Which one would be more fun for $300.00?

Gary,

I haven't got round to buying True Links yet and suspect I'll wait until its remaindered (true Scotsman or what ?). I have however had a squint at their list of true links and suggest that on the Scotland list alone their are several courses that shouldn't be there and more than a few that should. To a certain extent determining what is a links and whats not is subjective but IMHO in the case of Scotland you can't do better than Robert Price's book for a definitive listing.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »
Just watched some of Thursday's play, it certainly looked like it was playing links like. However the BBC website has pictures of flooding on the course and truelinks land drains very quickly.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
Mark

I think even on the best of links the amount of water that they have had would take a wee while to drain away. The test will be how dry the course will be once the rain abates.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »
The issue isn't so much the course but the surrounding roads and car park.
BBC News showing quite a bit of damage to the course, looks like some of the bunkers have been damaged, and there has been some land slippage.

Just a typical summer in Scotland nowadays  :(

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
Part of the course has slipped away, looks like the bank between the shore holes and the top ones hard to tell tho. Closed for spectators, though some bits they can go.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »
Poor Gil. He seems to get the bad end of the stick when nature rears her ugliness.

The pic I just saw on TGC look like a serious landslide across a fairway. It was amazing how far that ground slipped.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:32 AM »
Reports of landslides on Holes 1 & 12.

Has been reduced to 54 holes, hoping to start at 3pm but its raining again.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:11:56 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »
They might have to play this one behind closed doors.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
Just watched some of Thursday's play, it certainly looked like it was playing links like. However the BBC website has pictures of flooding on the course and truelinks land drains very quickly.

Mark,

the amount of rainfall that CS has had any links course would be flooded out.

Jon

Kin Britton

« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
I have read all the posts of whether or not it is a "links" course.  I would say these pictures prove while it plays like a links course, it is definitely not a links course.  I can't imagine water standing like this at Dornoch, Nairn, Moray or Cruden Bay.  While the top layer of soil allows for firm and fast, the subsurface is not the traditional links soil.  However, on our next trip to the Highlands, CS will definitely be on the schedule.  I liken it to Kingsbarns...gorgeous course, fun to play, stunning scenery but expensive with an American feel to the whole experience...but still have to play it!

Make sure to click the link for the picture gallery with the story.  The landslides on 1 and 12 are incredible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/09/weather-wreaks-scottish-open-havoc

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
Strongest rain for 40 years apparently

Jim Nelson

« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
Time to get the slope police in there.  That new forced carry will surely raise it a few ticks.

On a more serious note, that is friggin awful.  Tough way to debut.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back