News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Cahill

Re: Commonground - A promising future for golf
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
David Tepper or other Bay Area GCAers may have the answer to this question:  Doesn't Metro in Oakland qualify as a Common Ground-type success story?  My understanding of the story of Metro is it is a new course built over an old, neglected muni course. It has nice practice facilities and serves as the First Tee home, I believe. I'm not sure what it cost to make over or if it has Papago type debt- but it certainly provides a nice facility for an urban area- with a "grow the game" atmosphere, sans any expensive, needless trappings. Anyone have more details on Metro's history?
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

astavrides

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
David Tepper or other Bay Area GCAers may have the answer to this question:  Doesn't Metro in Oakland qualify as a Common Ground-type success story?  My understanding of the story of Metro is it is a new course built over an old, neglected muni course. It has nice practice facilities and serves as the First Tee home, I believe. I'm not sure what it cost to make over or if it has Papago type debt- but it certainly provides a nice facility for an urban area- with a "grow the game" atmosphere, sans any expensive, needless trappings. Anyone have more details on Metro's history?
I don't know nearly as many details as others about this since I have only lived in Nocal for 1.5 years.   It is a nice course now and indeed is a first tee site, but my impression is that they gentriified it ($55 prime time for Oakland residents) a bit, and that it used to be a hangout for the African-American golf community, but I have never seen a black adult golfer at Metro the 3 or 4 times I've been there.  Probably there are/were other factors...

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
There's few muni's where one can actually feel what I felt on the 12th hole.

Just amazing considering it's cost and location.

I'm curious Adam--what did you "feel" on the 12th hole? I like the hole but I have better feelings about other holes at CG.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Pitner

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
There's few muni's where one can actually feel what I felt on the 12th hole.

Just amazing considering it's cost and location.

I'm curious Adam--what did you "feel" on the 12th hole? I like the hole but I have better feelings about other holes at CG.

I had the same thought--#12 is probably not a hole I would single out for praise. 

(CG also isn't a muni, as Tom D has reiterated). 

Kalen Braley

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back