News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Bay Area GCA mini-event at Monarch Bay - Sunday, June 26
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »
Joel -

Thanks again for organizing the outing.

In looking at the map of the course on the scorecard (while trying to ignore my own score ;)), I noticed that the course is routed similarly to Harding Park and Sonoma (and Muirfield) in that one of the nines is routed within the other nine and is surrounded by it. At Monarch Bay and Harding, the front nine is surrounded by the back nine, while the front nine surrounds the back nine at Sonoma.

DT   

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
What did you shoot?  You sound like you might have something worth bragging about--or at least a good bit lower than your handicap.  You hit a bunch of scratch golfer looking shots with only a few foul balls--much improved from Bandon.

I shot 84, not bad for me these days.  10 greens in regulation but 37 putts.  I need to learn to Roll It Like Benham, seems like he made quite a few putts yesterday.

The greens definitely do not have a great deal of visible undulation, but now that I think about it quite a few broke more than I was expecting.  I'm wondering if there are larger slopes that disguise the amount of break.  Or maybe I'm just not very good at reading greens.

I like quite a few holes at Monarch.  #2 has an interesting tee shot and approach.  #3 has a bit of a cape feel with the diagonal bunkers.  #5 is a reachable par 5 (as Mr. Benham demonstrated with an eagle yesterday) with just enough trouble around the green to make you think twice about it.  I like #6 and #8.  #12 and #14 on the back nine are good holes as well.

Possible dates and locations for the next BAGCAT event will be available soon.

Oh and the couples session of prenatal yoga was very productive.  Thanks for asking, guys.

JLahrman

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
Joel -

Thanks again for organizing the outing.

In looking at the map of the course on the scorecard (while trying to ignore my own score ;)), I noticed that the course is routed similarly to Harding Park and Sonoma (and Muirfield) in that one of the nines is routed within the other nine and is surrounded by it. At Monarch Bay and Harding, the front nine is surrounded by the back nine, while the front nine surrounds the back nine at Sonoma.

DT   

The only thing is that the property is so rectangular shaped for Monarch that one winds up playing stretches of three and four holes where the wind is blowing the same direction.  Would be nice to mix it up a little bit more, but the shape of the property doesn't appear to allow for it too much.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time!!

I played this course several times before the re-do, and even though the hole sequencing is different, the locations of the holes on the property are virtually identical.

Looks like #10 is the only hole that doesn't play south to north as it is indeed a very long rectangle shaped piece of land.

Here is a link to an aerial with the start being at the top near the driving range.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.69012,-122.182045&spn=0.012497,0.023754&t=h&z=16

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
Is Lake Chabot next?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

rjsimper

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »
Is Lake Chabot next?

Why don't you plan something and quit whining about what others arrange?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »
Is Lake Chabot next?

Why don't you plan something and quit whining about what others arrange?

Who are you and why are you posting on this thread that you seem to know nothing about?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JLahrman

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
Moratorium please.  Neither of you have been to either of the outings that we've had (though you're both welcome), and you obviously haven't met each other.  Not sure why you're using the thread to henpeck at each other.  This thread is over.

I will post the date of the next round soon.  And anyone is certainly welcome to set one up at the course of their choice too.  It's a few PMs, a thread, and a phone call to the course.  Not exactly a Herculean undertaking.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:32:46 PM by JLahrman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back