News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Friar's Head
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
Still recoverIng from the very positive aftereffects of my round at FH today. Quick report: awesome property, great routing, terrific variety of par 3's, two sparkling short 4's and 5's that fairly invite aggressive play if your tee shot is well struck. AND I holed out with a five wood on #4. Okay it was only a birdie (in a bunker off the tee) but it went in the hole.

Very redolent of Bandon Trails in spots with bold and demanding greens. Another C&C top ten for me. Full report to follow.

Nice shot!   #4's a par 3, so must have been #3.   What's the other short par 4, #16?

I loved the whole thing at Friars Head.  Haven't played Sand Hills so it's my C&C #1.  Not a weak hole. 

Ron Csigo

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
#5 is a great short par 4.  You can hit driver or iron off the tee.  The challenge is in the second shot with the mound in front of the green coming into play.  You can easily make a birdie or double bogey on the hole.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

JC Jones

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »
Tom,
Our views of FH are fairly similar. When I said I considered it top 5, I meant my personal top 5, and I do not have a Wardian like portfolio. I think you would also be surprised how many people say that FH is "the second best course on the east end". I know that is almost sacrilegious on this site, but it is said often.

Do they sell logo belts in the pro shop?

FH does have the second best logo in golf.

The word on the street is that I have a logo belt from Friars Head coming my way.  Let's just say I'm giddy with excitement; I'll be sure to wear it if I ever play a round with Richard Choi. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
Tom,
Our views of FH are fairly similar. When I said I considered it top 5, I meant my personal top 5, and I do not have a Wardian like portfolio. I think you would also be surprised how many people say that FH is "the second best course on the east end". I know that is almost sacrilegious on this site, but it is said often.

Do they sell logo belts in the pro shop?

FH does have the second best logo in golf.

The word on the street is that I have a logo belt from Friars Head coming my way.  Let's just say I'm giddy with excitement; I'll be sure to wear it if I ever play a round with Richard Choi.  

If it fits around that "party ball" waist of yours! ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:19:43 PM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
Can anyone post some pictures, in color?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »

Jordan,

Friar's Head has a policy of not letting golfers take photographs of the golf course (except Ran of course). I have to say, it certainly adds a bit of mystery to the place as I almost feel like I've played Cypress or Pine Valley through all the pictures I've seen.

TK

Michael Dugger

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »

Ask Tommy N.  :P
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »

Jordan,

Friar's Head has a policy of not letting golfers take photographs of the golf course (except Ran of course). I have to say, it certainly adds a bit of mystery to the place as I almost feel like I've played Cypress or Pine Valley through all the pictures I've seen.

TK

Those aren't Ran's pictures with the review. They are from Bakst? sp?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
I am sure Kevin Pallier has posted some pics on here.

Definitely he has posted a few pics of 14 (?), the short par four.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:03:49 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brett Morris

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 03:40:40 AM »
For those on Facebook, Coore and Crenshaw have posted photos of renovation work to the 7th green.  Looks to be an all new green.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
Very interesting....does anyone have info on what they are going to do with it? I always wondered if they would ever change that green.......I hear they changed #14 also last year.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:29 AM »
Brian, i thought that 14 was a great green, a lot of fun, and interesting strategy. I understand why it was polarizing, but I was definitely on the "pro" side. It is a shame to see it go, although I am sure they will figure out a way to put a great green in.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
I never saw the previous green on #14, but after looking at Ran's photo in the profile, it looks as if that back right hole location has been lowered some and the false front on the right portion of green looks more severe now.  If I'm off on this I hope someone will correct me.

And I second Sheehy's "By the way."  It was beyond a treat to play FH and unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere.  Simply outstanding

Jordan Wall

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
I never saw the fourteenth green prior to flattening it, but it is without one of the best green sites I've ever played to, in the same category as 13, 15, and 16 at Cypress and perhaps the seventh at Pebble.

And how about the new bridge to the sixteenth tee along the bluff?  Amazing!

The stretch of 14-18 at Friars is as good as it gets, anywhere.

I thought the first hole was awesome - very original for an opening hole and one of my favorite uphill holes I've ever played.  The second through seventh are very good, with the fifth being great, and I love eight and nine.  The green on nine is wild, and I love how it corresponds with the practice putting green.  The tenth is as unique of a hole as you will find in the world, a good thing, and 11-13 are all very good but go underrated due to the amazing finish.

Aside from the course, the showers are as good as it gets, as is the food.  I had the best six course meal I've ever had, and perhaps the only six course meal on earth that ends with a side of french fries (I asked the chef to give me a college food side).  The other day my friend was texting me, telling me about the World Series game he was watching in the cottages with Ben Crenshaw.  I think it quite a testament that the designers go back to cherish what they made.  Friars Head is certainly an exceptional place, on and off the golf course.

I recommend Matty as a caddie for those who get to play, by the way.  A great guy who will certainly put a smile on your face throughout the entire round.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
Keith,

It's certainly a wonderful golf course in a terrific setting.

You'll have to address those who rated it below your expectations why their evaluation was low.

Keith,

I think you would have to list all of the courses you have played such that your top 5 ranking can be put into perspective.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
This week? Or lifetime?

Gene Greco

Re: Friar's Head New
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
This week? Or lifetime?

They are probably one and the same.

:)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:50:08 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back