News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Something is wrong, it does not make sense…..
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
the history of GCA has been hijacked by those wonderful Golden Age guys like Tom Simpson. In fact many of their comment relating to the original Golden Age (as I believe it to be) seems based upon untruth’s  or lack of any sustainable evidence whatsoever.

Let’s start with our own GCA.com introduction to the subject of Golf Course Architecture and really what this site I believe is all about, yet it is given out the wrong message.  The introduction on the First web page states the following

1.   Pre-1899: The architectural skill employed in these courses is minimal and yet the lesson learned is invaluable: nature provides the most enduring challenge. The architects of this day spent only one or two days on site to stake out the tees and greens. They had few decisions to make: they didn’t have the ability to move much land. These courses have been largely modified over the past century to adjust to equipment changes.
2.   1900-1937: For the first time, architects started to move and shape land to create hazards and add strategic interest. Such work started with the heathland courses outside of London and men like Charles Blair Macdonald brought it to America, where he coined the term ‘golf architect’ around 1910. Tom Simpson called the Roaring Twenties the ‘Golden Age’ of course design, and he was right.

Are we defining architectural skills as the same as golf course design? I am working on the presumption that we are, so let’s look to the very first sentence “The architectural skill employed in these courses is minimal and yet the lesson learned is invaluable: nature provides the most enduring challenge”. Rather than this general statement let’s look at some of the facts, for this exercise I will use the most well known course not just of its day but still up there in the top listings today, yes it’s the Old Courses (TOC). The early maps of the 19th Century (attached below is a copy of A Martins Survey of 1821)

showing a basic design, but design nevertheless, however by the turn of the mid-century the course started a 30 year plus development that changes much of it character and nearly doubled its size  helping to promoted it as the premier course in Scotland. The initial reason for this possibility was the reclaiming of land from the sea, mainly won by G Bruce with the usage of old four old barges

filled with stones. (See photo which shows the land to the left of the current British Golfing Museum Covering the Car Park area). We also have much movement in protecting the course from the sea, The Eden Estuary, not to mention the design modifications including the 1st and 18 Holes as well as the changes to many of the others pushing the course to exceed 1.5 times its original size in 1821 (the following is the 1879 survey of TOC).  

TOC is certainly a course born out of Nature but engineered and designed by man to what we have today. In truth we can say that this course, while up to the turn of the 19th Century could be described as designed by a large extent Nature utilising the natural with a small degree of input by Man, yet thanks from the major subsequence work from the mid  19th Century on wards is pure design, a fully made course and certainly not by Nature although in a very natural location for the great game of Golf. TOC is still a striking and challenging course today loved by millions and is still at the heart of our Game, and not just in Scotland, proving,  I believe that architectural skill was fully employed in the modernisation of the old course at St Andrews.

Now we come onto the next sentence “The architects of this day spent only one or two days on site to stake out the tees and greens. They had few decisions to make: they didn’t have the ability to move much land.”   which is a great inaccuracy and does not reflect on the real time it took to design and build a golf course. It may in part reflect the time the original designer spent at the site but not necessary the total design nor build time. My main concern is why did the these later architects who followed the 19th Designers not understand or acknowledge that the design to opening period did take on average 3 months through to 1 to 1.5 years. Why was the odd 1 -2 day scenario promoted as the norm when the records show so clearly that is not the case. I believe it’s down to pure ignorance of procedure which again I find surprising as surely you would have taken note of past designers and made an effort to understand them.  Perhaps those who have studied Charles Blair MacDonald can advise if he used the one-two day design method that many believe was deployed in the mid 1870’s. To be honest the whole system has been corrupted much I believe in favour of the ability of those who described the 1920’s as the Golden Age to sprinkle more praise on their methods rather than address the truth that their work was just a follow on from the pre 1899 Great Designers who developed and lay down the fundamentals. Let’s just check if the later designer changed much – Standardising 9 & 18 Hole courses – no the records show that this standard well before1899, then what about hole size, hazards, again I believe the answer is no, but yes let’s give them credit for the work done, yes they lengthened the courses, moved and developed the Tees, but that was thanks to the Haskell ball forcing change. Perhaps inland course are to be credited to the new architects, no but many more where built through their period. Now what about movement of earth/soil, let’s just say that if money allowed that was not a major problem but due to the new clubs being formed money was tight and land leased in the early period until the clubs could afford purchase or had rich benefactors, so selection of land was important, seems more so back then than today as we feel we have the technology to do what we wish – who know the rights and wrongs of that apart from creating a golf course in regions that are not suitable for the game, and all the compromising that required from terraforming massive drainage systems and carts to protect the player s from the environment. While technology allows us to achieve all this, what have we and the game itself lost in playing the game with these massive implications. While on the subject let’s also kill this ridicules statement “they didn’t have the ability to move much land “ by reminding all that the Suez Canal was built in 1859-69 in the middle of the period we are talking about, may put something in perspective, noting my point about new clubs being strapped for cash.

I have not posted any article proving the design to build period of many courses but it is well documented on many reports and club records the time taken from design to the Opening day of the course.

As for the staking out a course in the morning then playing it PM is a total misunderstand of the design procedure which will be a subject of another of my posts which I am in the process or writing utilising many articles & confirming my understand of how similar the design process is to that which we employed in the 20th Century.

I hope I have at least made you question the relevance of these statements that IMHO have no relevance and only seek to undermine the real hero’s and true Golden Age of Golf Design.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:31:36 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Bill_McBride

Re: Something is wrong, it does not make sense…..
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »
I don't know enough to debate your point, or even want to, but I do have a question.  How many Old Tom Morris courses today are pretty much the same as they were pre-1900? 

I also loved the layout of the Old Course in 1879 with no New (1895) or Jubilee (1898?) courses in the empty space between the outward holes and loop and the line of dunes along the ocean.   I really have to wonder why none of that land was absorbed into the evolution of the layout of the Old?  Was it possibly reserved for grazing or agricultural use?   As linksland is typically unsuitable for growing crops, the latter doesn't seem likely.

Thanks for a provocative post, Melvyn, there haven't been many of those lately.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
Melvyn,

There have been times when I have been critical of your devotion to the days of golf headed by your worthy ancestor, With this post you have done us all a great service. It is by far and away the most instructive information on the use of barges and stone to reclaim the land from the sea and enlarge the course.

The photographs alone are worth the price of admission.

Bob

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »
A great thread Melvyn – you should expand it into a „My Opinion“ article.

Your point about the “Golden Age” generation of golf course architects denigrating the previous generation is very plausible and not just restricted to the beginning of the 20th century.

How do the other historians on the site feel about your sentiments?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
Fantastic, Melvn!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
I think these same statements hold true today as many people currently denigrate the designers of the period from 50-15 years ago, or at least many of them. To me it is a terrible fallacy that designers of the ancient ages did not use heavy equipment to shape the earth as needed. Melvyn, your post, with evidence, makes it clear that even in the 19th century designers and engineers used all tools available to them in order to move the earth and fashion golf courses in the best way possible. Very informative.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »
The comments by Simpson and Co seem to me to hold true for inland courses, but perhaps not the links, where there was ample natural interest to build golf holes, good natural drainage, available land...

Reading some about the courses in/around London in the 19th century, and looking at old pictures in clubhouses in the region, they seem to have been rudimentary at best, lacking in strategic merit, prone to flooding and poor conditioning... all the things Simpson and Co alleged them to be.

I do not know of a single inland course of note or merit that pre-dates Sunningdale and Huntercombe in 1901.

New Zealand was founded before then, but it was also significantly reworked by Simpson around 1930.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »
I think these same statements hold true today as many people currently denigrate the designers of the period from 50-15 years ago, or at least many of them. To me it is a terrible fallacy that designers of the ancient ages did not use heavy equipment to shape the earth as needed. Melvyn, your post, with evidence, makes it clear that even in the 19th century designers and engineers used all tools available to them in order to move the earth and fashion golf courses in the best way possible. Very informative.

Jamie, the early guys could move dirt, but it took dozens of men and horses and pan scrapers.  I suspect they avoided earthmoving when possible. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:00:47 AM »
One of Tom Simpson comments was reported as follows

They failed to reproduce any of the features of the courses on which they were bread and born, or to realize the principles on which they had been made. Their imagination took them no further than the inception of flat gun-platform greens, invariably oblong, round or square, supported by railway embankment sides or batters . . . The bunkers that were constructed on the fairways may be described

First of all let’s remember that these designers he talks about where the first and had zero to go on, copy or bastardize, everything they produced was their own and boy did they produce some great courses not to mention Holes. Again I will lead with TOC, then what about North Berwick, Dornoch, Cruden, Prestwick (which retains some 7 of the existing Greens and a number of hazards. Let’s look to The New Course, Brora, not forgetting Machrie while we are at it. Then we have an architect of so called merit, Simpson whose arrogance more I believe tries to dismiss the greatness of his predecessors by intending to transcend his teacher’s knowledge, however I feel he failed making his comment out to be more of a statement of his own super abilities – clearly it worked as he was rather successful, but it did not actually reflect upon the great holes and courses designed in the 19th Century

Also let’s not forget that Simpson and co had already been taught the principles of GCA by the 19th century Designers who have left some wonderful examples of their work. Again we must remember the technology available and far more importantly the finance set aside for many of the 19th century courses. Those clubs around London unlike the 2-3000 clubs before them had the massive benefits of money and lots of it, including time to build and sow their own grass seed.  

The (second) Golden Age Designers with the likes of Simpson had the time and money to undertake projects all over the world. They had set down guidelines to work to, as well as the consistency of the rubber core ball. No, his generation were not the pioneers, the dream maker of golf course architecture, that credit should clearly be places at the feet of the real Golden Age Designers of the 19th Century IMHO.

Still not in agreement then why do we on this site talk to highly about The Redan, the original at North Berwick that pre dates the extension of that course to 18 Holes in 1877. Why is it the Template King and most copied, clearly the pre Simpson designers knew something about design that eluded many that followed.

Simpson tried to put his predecessors in their place but its Simpson and Co who should be seen for what they were, good, yes but just the next wave of designers highly benefiting from the popularity of the game , the subsequence money available and improved knowledge and technology. Add to this the knowledge gathered by the earlier designers gave Simpson and Co a great head start.

The second Golden Age Designers did not face the question which came first the Chicken or the egg, as nearly all the fundamentals had been resolved and in place by the time they turned to sharpen a pencil for their first design.

Golden Age, perhaps but they did it on the backs of their predecessors and some shamelessly refused to give full credit, yet history proves that many a fine Hole not to mention course was built in the 19th century questioning the arrogant comments of the likes of Simpson and Co.

Melvyn

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:05:40 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:29:15 AM »
Melvyn,

Thought provoking stuff and very welcome.  Can I echo the suggestion that you might like to take these posts and work up an "in My Opinion" piece?

Also, what are your thoughts on Scott's post, drawing a distinction with the 19th century links courses and the inland courses of the same era?  It seems that the best work that the 19th century designers did was, almost exclusively on links land (arguably the land most fit for purpose), do you have any views on whether their inland work (such as it was) was of an equal quality? 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »
Melvyn,

Simpson was referring to what he called the "Dark Ages" between 1885 and 1900... The fact he singled out the dates to me suggests he was talking about the first attempts to build inland courses... Could be wrong of course...

Great stuff up above... Thanks...

Ally

Tom MacWood

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:30:18 AM »
Melvyn
Did Simpson present his case in a book or an article? Have you read it?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:40:32 AM »
Simpson was indeed talking about in land courses but again being more in touch with the 19th Century that we are today he seemed to miss many of the vital points which I find surprising for a architect/designer in the Golf industry.

First of all the new inland courses were original deemed as being a mirror or as close to a mirror of the links courses. There was no distinction even the name Links continues for many years referring to these inland courses.

We have turf dykes (still visible on quite a few courses) that are meant to mimic the undulations of a traditional links course, so it is very important that when we discuss time frames we put our own mind into that time zone.

Therefore Simpson was referring to inland links courses, yet he was doing so at or on around the time of their conception, places like Tarland which was the private 9 Hole course for the Duke of Aberdeen, now a club in its own right with a few turf dykes. Perhaps look to Forfar circa 1871. Or Blairgowerie Wee Course of 1889, perhaps even Callander 1889/92. During this time period there was no real distinction between inland and links and the same methods were used to create both.

Fault, no, just the learning curve so why did Simpson not consider this, after all he was not a stupid man, but more a man with an agenda perhaps.  I feel Simpson sounds more like a fashion critic complain about women’s fashions of the 1885-1900 although much had moved on by his time circa the 1920’s, hence why it’s so important that we think in the appropriate  time zone mode when discussing past events. Also in Scotland many of the links courses are council or public land unlike the inland sites which for their sins were the result of generous donations by many of the landed gentry. Hence new courses tended to have just one club using the facilities unlike many of the Links sites.

Again with Simpson being just a generation or two away from the hay day of golf, he seems to have forgotten much that went on back then tending to deny the quality of the new product that was being produced. For men connected with the industry he seems somewhat remote from its beginnings, which seems at odds for architect/designers because we learn from our past – do we not?

Melvyn

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:08 AM »
Melvyn,

You are, with some justification, always arguing that land should be fit for purpose if it is to be used for golf.  In trying to re-model inland sites as links, with artificial turf dykes etc., weren't the late 19th century architects ignoring the suitability of that land for golfing purposes?  Call it a learning curve, perhaps, but there's no doubt that the approach to the design of inland courses changed dramatically in the early 20th century and for the better, or is there?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 08:00:23 AM »

Mark

Many seem to confuse my opinions with that of Old Tom and others.

I voice what I believe in and land fit for Purpose is very high up upon my listings; that may or may not have been a problem for many of the 19th Century designers who had the pick of the sites. Yet even they got in wrong from time to time having to move courses due to high water tables in the winter etc.

I am not a spokesman for Old Tom or any other past designer, but I have had some good teachers and supported by my research, I am able to voice an honest and sincere opinion.

As for the 19th Century inland courses, it soon became apparent that methods had to differ from those on links courses, trees being one problem not normally encountered. Yet to accuse the founders of inland course of limited vision is somewhat out of order for those designs following who have not had to undergo any major learning curve themselves as the earlier ones had already highlighted many of the pitfalls in inland design. So why did Simpson open his mouth if he knew the history of his own industry?

Melvyn

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »
I guess his argument is that the early architects did not understand the principles that made links courses great and thus could not apply them to inland courses. If, indeed, they understood those principles and merely didn't apply them because they did not have the resources to do so, then Simpson's criticism is a bit off the mark.

However, the fact remains that those principles weren't applied and that inland courses built in the 19th century weren't good. And that, I believe, is the main direction Simpson goes with his argument. He does not want to set himself apart from his "elders", but from the 19th century style of inland golf course - because in his day there were still new courses being built that way. The Golden Age designs were few and far between and architects had to justify their fee compared to a local guy doing it for almost free. So there was a need to stress the difference in quality.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:35:13 AM »
Melvyn
Where did Simpson present his case....a book, article, lecture, etc? Have you read it?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »

Ulrich

How do you know if the 19th Century Courses were good or not. Are there reports saying they are crap?

Just wondering how you can voice such a statement. If we look at some of the older courses with some modification over the years but on the whole nearly as they were when the course was opened, look to The Bridge of Allan, would you describe that course as rubbish?.

My problem is how do we define good or bad circa 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920. In fact, it is near on impossible. We can’t agree on The Castle Course so what about an old inland course. Nevertheless my point is that as an architect one would surly understand the history of courses be they inland or links, follow the learning process and not make statements along the line that he did. Its seems to me he is blaming a child for not understand building blocks with letters, that they are not in letter or number order, but then we do have some surviving examples of 1890 course nearly untouched by the modern process, that is if you are will to look.

I do not understand why so aggressive as I would have thought he would have known better.

Melvyn

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
By the same token, Melvyn, how well is someone born 50 years later placed to second guess Simpson's first-hand appraisal of 19th Century architecture?

Your opening question to Ulrich could just as easily be asked of you (or anyone who makes strong and/or definite statements on the topic).

What say you?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:50 AM »
Scott

Have you played any old 9 Holes courses that well pre date the 1900's and are relatively unchanged. If so then I feel you and Ulrich can answer the question. Scotland is not all about Dornoch and Prestwick but has a mass of enjoyable out of the way courses that can offer a fair to good game of golf. Many never saw any changes when the Haskell ball appeared. But its depends what and how you play golf. Is it just a game of a good day out enjoying the scenery?

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »

Ulrich

How do you know if the 19th Century Courses were good or not. Are there reports saying they are crap?

Just wondering how you can voice such a statement. If we look at some of the older courses with some modification over the years but on the whole nearly as they were when the course was opened, look to The Bridge of Allan, would you describe that course as rubbish?.

My problem is how do we define good or bad circa 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920. In fact, it is near on impossible. We can’t agree on The Castle Course so what about an old inland course. Nevertheless my point is that as an architect one would surly understand the history of courses be they inland or links, follow the learning process and not make statements along the line that he did. Its seems to me he is blaming a child for not understand building blocks with letters, that they are not in letter or number order, but then we do have some surviving examples of 1890 course nearly untouched by the modern process, that is if you are will to look.

I do not understand why so aggressive as I would have thought he would have known better.

Melvyn

We have all seen photos of pre-1900 courses with artificial, "steeple chase" looking hazards, geometrically designed and regimented in placement.

Huntercombe is probably the course I have played that most bridges the ages of golf design and illustrates the transition from geometry to emphasis on natural features, even if artificial.

That was the reason for my earlier question about which pre-1900 courses by Old Tom could be seen as unchanged, particularly the inland courses.  I'd be interested in seeing if his courses in non-links territory included such early hazards, in design or placement.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
As a follow up to my post above, here's a portion of an IM from Melvyn which I post with his kind permission:

"In answer to your question, I am afraid that not many intact course remain that are the work of Old Tom , however something in the region of 166 of his Green/fairways still exist. Prestwich have in the region of 7 Greens that Charlie Hunter reused. The Bridge of Allan is said to be the most intact course bar the Tees with Glasgow Rosemont close behind. However we need to look closely at TOC to discover that much is still as he left it but many like to say that TOC was credited to Nature, alas this is not true and Old Tom was responsible for its current size and majority of its shapes, modified by others to accommodate the new ball.

Many of the Fife courses have more than a Hole still in play that is by Old Tom, much of which is through the work of Braid who did not alter much of Old Tom’s Fairways or Greens only the Tees and bunkers to the new landing zones. He believe that if a Hole is good why change it, so I am thankful to Braid more than any other."

This doesn't answer the question behind my question but is interesting.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
Melvyn, there are numerous sources that echo my statement that inland courses in the 19th century were no good. It's not just Simpson, but more or less every architect of note in the Golden Age. Even Walter Travis, who started on the other side of the fence, came round. Looking at the few old pictures in existence we see artificial cop bunkers and square greens.

On the other hand there are no sources known to me that speak highly of inland golf architecture in the 19th century. If you have any, please feel free to add them here. Here is a source, which I consider exemplary for Victorian golf architecture (a phrase that was coined in 1917 by Henry Leach):

Willard H. Moss wrote in "Outing" in 1886 that people are used to regular, standardised playing fields from other sports, so golf holes should be built in lengths of 100, 200 and 300 yards only.

This formulaic or, if you will, scientific idea of constructing golf holes was at that time actually the first step towards professionalising golf course architecture. Obviously, as we know today, it wasn't the right way to go forward, but it was commendable and necessary for later progress. Still, the Victorian ideal was one of straight lines, symmetric forms and orderly arrangement of features - none of which makes a golf course fun to play.

Also, since you spoke of 2-3000 courses before the heathland revolution in London at the turn of the century: there were all of 138 courses in Britain in 1888 (source: Cornish & Whitten). Golf exploded only in the 1890s, but still only growing at a rate of about 100 new courses per year. So there wasn't as much to go around for Park, Colt, Fowler etc.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
Melvyn
Ulrich is correct, Simpson was not the only one critical of the 19th C architects. Campbell, Darwin, Colt, Mackenzie and others were singing the same tune.

I also believe if you are going to criticize Simpson for what he wrote on this subject that you should actually read what he wrote.

BCrosby

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »
Melvyn -

Simpson actually came late to the party. Earlier critics of inland Victorian courses included John Laidlay and John L. Low.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back