News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: How come there are not more bad courses?
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 05:37:57 AM »
And yet, I can't help but think: I know it profiteth a man nothing to gain the whole world and lose his soul, but for two Par 5s?

Well this is rather presumptuous about the amount of Par-3 holes.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »
I suppose it really depends on how we're defining a "bad course".

If its just Doak zeros, then yes, this is a small group. But if we're including the 1's then this easily gets into the thousands!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »

Well, since the Doak scale only rates the top half of courses, by his own system, then anything less than a 1 is still average, I guess.  There could be 8,000 poor courses, but I don't think there are.

We could also define poor under the light of "poor for their audience."  This group is only interested in the top 10% of courses in the world design wise, but a muni owner might look at his flat, bunkerless course, pumping rounds through like crap through a goose, as a thing of real beauty...…..
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
Jeff,

Not sure which version you read, but his scale puts the average course at 3.  I would suspect that 2s and 3s via his scale represent more than 50% of the courses out there..even if he rarely sees any of them.  Most of the courses in Northern Utah are certainly a 2 or 3.

https://golfcoursegurus.com/rankings/doakscale.php

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back