News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: New South Wales Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (7th hole posted)
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
It looks like the new 6th green eliminates the advantage of missing left.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Regarding the "new 6th green" I really need to hear from Michael Taylor on this. I have studied the before and after photos and it looks like the super may have re-claimed a little putting surface, but not moved any bunkers.

Kyle,

Yes, it was a head wind, but I hit a hooked 4 iron, my best shot of the day, landed 20 meters short and rolled up nicely for a 20 foot lag and par.

George Freeman

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
Michael - your pictures of #5 are incredible!  Wow is all I can say...

Keep it coming gentlemen!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kevin Pallier

Re: New South Wales Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (6th hole posted)
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »
FWIW, I adore the sixth and it is a special hole for me having made my first ever birdie there...

I know the hole is special to Andrew Summerell from GCA who had an ace there once.

In the times I've played there - the most common winds are either a NE or SE. This has meant I've had to play it from right of the bunkers (NE) or worst still - lay it out over the ocean (SE) and hope that the wind brings it back......

Michael Taylor

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 03:47:20 AM »
Michael,

Here is a copy/paste from what I wrote on another forum about the changes that have happened/are going to happen.

Things are a changing at New South Wales. Over the last few months these are some of the works that have taken place.

* The 17th green has had it's contours flattened very slightly, but it has the same sort of movement as before, just a little less. It was turfed with Mackenzie Bent from the nursery.

* The 6th green is now a 2 tiered green. It has a lower section, and it rises up to a middle left section, and a very slightly higher back right section. First impressions I like the new green, but only time will tell. The contours on the green just don't seem 'right', and playing the hole downwind makes it much tougher now.

* There has been a waste area added to the LHS of 10, and it is 190-220m from the back tee. It is almost like a two tiered waste area, because the far left hand side is much higher than the right. You will get some funky lies in this thing. And yes some idiot put pigs face in it..

* New waste area 30m short left of the 12th green. It doesn't really add to the hole except looks wise. It'll make you think a little more about going for the green though in 2.

* They have burnt the undergrowth on 3, 7 and 15. It's already starting to grow back though.

* The nursery has just about quadrupled in size. It's about 100m long now by about 35m.

--

Starting August 8 we are resurfacing all greens with Mackenzie Bent. The greens in windy areas will be turfed, whereas the others will be seeded. Greens will be back in play by the start of December.

There will be some minor alterations to the greens that will increase playability and pin positions.

* The 2nd will have the back to front slope reduced slightly, and the runoff short middle of the green will be raised a little to promote balls staying on that section of the green.

* The 5th will have the right to left slope on the left section of the green lessened to get a location there. There will also be a new back right and front right pin.

* The 7th MAY get a new back right pin, and have the areas surrounding the middle left pin made easier to reduce wear and make easier.

* 13 will get a front left pin position and possibly a back right pin by changing the contours slightly.

* The 14th will have 'amendments' to the back right and front left sections to make more playable in windy conditions. The back right section may also be extended by about a meter.

* 18 will maintain the SAME contours but will be extended a further 1 metre to the left to get 1 or 2 more pins.

The 18th green and surrounds especially need redoing. It just doesn't work.

During the work (Aug-Dec) there will be up to 15 temporary greens in play.

I think I covered it all. 

-----------------

Steve,

I HATE the pigs face on the course. 1 because it is impossible to hit out of, let alone control a shot out of. It is overused. Spreads likes wildfire. And the club keep putting more and more in to 'stabilize' the sandy waste areas and then it gets out of control.

Jason,

There is still an advantage to missing the 6th green to the left however only when the pin is up the back. With a front pin a miss left or right means you will have little chance of getting up and down, but a miss left would be preferable over right.

Bill,

The green has remained exactly the same size. The green probably looks bigger because the right hand side of the green has had its severe right to left contour removed.

George,

I really smiled reading your comment!  ;D I just forked out a bit of money on a good camera , and your words reassure me it was a good purpose.  :)

Scott/Kevin,

We need to have a game out at NSW together before the greens are resurfaced on Aug 8. Sundays are the only days we could play. Lets try and find a date that works for all of us.

Unfortunately I was only able to get phots up to the 5th hole the day I took these photos. However I am going back out there tomorrow and I'll try to get some pics of some more holes.

Scott Warren

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 04:40:48 AM »
Michael, sounds good. Name a date.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 04:53:53 AM »
Hmm I just realised I have club championship matches on the Sundays. So I might be busy depending if I play well or not.

I will send you both a message when I know what is going on.

Kyle Henderson

Re: New South Wales Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (8th hole posted)
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »

At the 8th, play is dominated by a large ridge that must be cleared with one’s second shot for any realistic chance of a par “5” or better.

Pup’s detested “pig faces” separate play on the 8th from the 12th hole coming back along the left.

Once atop the ridgeline, players are afforded a clear view of the target green with its backside pressed against a heavily vegetated slope.

This is a close-up view of the greenside hazards and slopes. To my eye, they are highly congruent with the styling of Royal Dornoch.

A look from behind the hole, with Sir Taylor casually tapping in a par putt.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »
I like how the hump is to be traversed on the second shot, as a point of difference with regard to 5, 12 and 15.

The 8th really is a very good greensite.

Put me down as another who dislikes the pigface. Terible playability and spreads like wildfire.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
All the changes to the green contours sound interesting Michael.  I hope they don't overdo it.  NSW could endlessly create new pin positions to add to strategy / difficulty on the green complexes but there is plenty to be said for simplicity... 

As for the pigs face:  to me there is no reason to expect a good lie in a hazard. Why should you be able to control your recovery shot? To me that's the point of it.  It's like going up against the face of one of the pot bunkers.  Or in a footprint at PV. 

@Pure_Golf

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 02:37:48 AM »
Pup

Put me down as another who isn't a fan of the pigsface.

The game is a good idea - PM some dates when you get a chance. Cheers.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
A driver! Head wind?

I didn't carry a 3 wood, and my hybrid only goes 185 or so, and too high to hit into a strong wind against.  I tried a choked up driver that didn't work all that well, but I should know that by now anyway.

Couldn't you just have let the shame of having my swing posted be enough?   :D

Michael Taylor

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »
The 'new 6th green' is an interesting affair. It has (sort of) 3 tiers. A lower front section that rises to a higher back left section, and then on the right is a slightly higher back right section. There is a ridge coming off the left hand bunker that makes it way across the front 3rd of the green and it cuts across the entire green it a circular fashion, making tee shots that much more difficult.

From this side of the ocean, 150m to green.

The view.  :)

Short right of the green. Not a bad spot to miss.

Side on.

From the 7th tee.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
I have to get going now but I'll post my photos and comment later.

And Kyle, on the 7th there isn't really a best side to be on the fairway, unless the pin is middle left when the best side is from the right. It's more a question of taking an iron short of those mounds to a massive landing area, or 3 wood or driver to a much smaller DZ.

Tee shot.

From one side to the other.

120m out.

Just short, not a good miss.

Side on.

Looking back.

Sorry I gotta get goin to NSW now.  :) I'll catch up later Kyle.

{up

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »
Pup,
It's simply not fair of you to sneak out every night and shoot the course at sunset. How can I compete with my single set of cloudy afternoon images? :'(
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mark_F

« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2011, 02:41:29 AM »
It's simply not fair of you to sneak out every night and shoot the course at sunset. How can I compete with my single set of cloudy afternoon images? :'(

Photoshop?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »

Photoshop?

I can assure you these images were all shot in the "raw" format and left completely unaltered.

Kyle Henderson

Re: New South Wales Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (9th hole posted)
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2011, 03:28:35 AM »

The short, par 4 9th plays to a left-sloping fairway.

Very little of the target area is visible from the back tees.

More “pigs face” has been installed along the fairway’s low side to catch weak efforts.

A look from behind the starboard flank of the green.

Peering across the green from right-to-left.

David_Elvins

« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2011, 03:47:46 AM »
I am told the super did it of his own volition and it is not part of the suggested changes from GNGCD, but that may not be Gospel.

Isn't that what every archie says when something doesn't turn out so well?  :D
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
In that case I expect to hear the Super was responsible for the new 18th!

David_Elvins

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
In that case I expect to hear the Super was responsible for the new 18th!
I have heard that one was done by martians, Scott, although I don't mind 18 too much. 

A lot of people will criticise me for saying this but I really don't think there is a strong enough golf architecture culture in Sydney for NSW GC to ever reach its true potential.  It is a unique city and not one suited to great Golf Course Architecture IMO. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
A couple of observations from the pics to this front nine...

A tad too much blindness off the tee throughout the front nine?  As a result, could an alternate tee approach be a pretty fun way to go about a round here?

Is it fair to assume several of the tees have been moved back as a result of the equipment and ball these days?

The routing seems to be about getting out to the 5th / 6th before heading back in.  Liking it.  The barometer shoots way up when you crest the 5th and that must be a feeling you never tire of.

The 7th green appears to be the better green of the lot.  Very natural in appearance and seems to be plenty subtle enough to defend itself.

It really is a bummer to not have better control over the shrubs and the "pig's face" does not do it for me either.  Reminds me in some ways of Pacific Grove with the iceplant.  You basically can't hit out of the stuff.

I dare say I'm pretty bummed now that I didn't get to play it when down there.  Just didn't pan out.  Maybe a rain check for a future return trip...

Who's the winged O guy?  A poster boy for the Olympic Club or something?

Good stuff.  Eager to see the back nine...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:10:47 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »
David, can you explain your comment about there not being a 'golf architecture culture' in Sydney.  I agree that the golf courses there as a whole leave a bit to be desired.  But I have no idea about the culture, either past or present.

As I have said on this thread, it is intriguing that so many changes are being made to a genuinely world class course. This is hugely unusual and could tie in with your comment perhaps?   

Sydney does have an awesome stretch of golf terrain in the inner south-east and it looks like this is being capitalised on with the work being done at Bonnie Doon.
@Pure_Golf

Kyle Henderson

Re: New South Wales Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (10th hole posted)
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2011, 07:16:43 PM »

Heading back to sea along the 9th, the 10th hole seems much less forced, with a flatter pitch and a bit more room at the edges of the fairway.

The easiest entrance to the green is from near another patch of port-side “pigs face,” though a short-iron over the greenside bunkers from the right side should be simple enough in calm conditions.

Scott Warren

Re: New South Wales Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (10th hole posted)
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
Pup, take note of Kyle's insight here ;D ;)

The easiest entrance to the green is from near another patch of port-side “pigs face,”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back