News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: (Not OT) Elton John, Katy Perry and RB Harris: Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
thanks for the link.   Here are my guilty pleasures (in no particular order)

- Threetops;  i love a good par 3 course and this is one of my faves

Explain, please.

Were I to design a par 3 course, it might be the exact opposite of Threetops. Wait, no, that would just be one uphill par 3 after another... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
I am not sure that mine would even get on the radar screen to be panned bt GCA, but here they are
1. Pine Hills Country club, Manorville, NY. Course is completely tree lined, and there are man made ponds (gasp) but there are 2 par fives that you can cut a corner and go for in 2, there is a drivable par 4, the staff treats you great, the cart girl is cute, and I have played with my father more here than any other course.
2. Pine Knolls in Kernersville, NC. First course I played when I got to College, not much to say about the merit of it's architecture, but fun course, cheap and a lot of good memories.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
thanks for the link.   Here are my guilty pleasures (in no particular order)

- Threetops;  i love a good par 3 course and this is one of my faves

Explain, please.

Were I to design a par 3 course, it might be the exact opposite of Threetops. Wait, no, that would just be one uphill par 3 after another... :)

i dont disagree, but some of the holes are interesting and fun; great views, some nice elevation changes.   A agree that there are several holes that are very similar, but it can make a nice end to the day after 36 holes and a beer in your hand

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 05:25:44 AM »
Jeff

I am struggling to think of one of these sorts of courses that I really liked.  I spose the Governor's Club in Chapel Hill might fit the bill.  I would go back there for another look. There is a lot to like.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39467.0/

Ciao

I'm a little biased-I married the cart girl.......
Sean, I'm with you on not liking most of them-you probably simply just don't play most that would qualify as "guilty pleasures"
all of the courses you list (I haven't played Bearwood lakes) are solid courses and if they're not shown much love here it's only because the neighborhood they're in keeps them from getting much play by GCAers when visiting the area.

I can also add I loved Pebble Beach

Jeff

Yes, I remembered a guilty pleasure!  Maybe 15 miles from Raleigh is a housing course called Wildwood Green designed by John Lafoy, yes, the same man credited with mucking around with Southern Pines.  There is a lot of oob and some goofy doglegs, water holes with fountains, but there are also some cracking holes over terrain that feels like a Ross North Carolina course.  The house is very low key and I could easily see this being a great neighbourhood club. The green fee is a bit pricey at ~$50, but they have decent twilight rates which is when one should be playing golf during the summer anyway. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Britt Rife

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »
Here is a true Guilty Pleasure [really now, Dunbar!  A guilty pleasure?]

RENDITIONS in Davidsonville, Md.

This has everything I am not supposed to like:

1.  The course is a "replica" course--17 holes from courses that have hosted majors ["thrill to Oakmont's #2, Carnoustie's #6 and be confounded by our 'rendition' of Amen Corner!"], plus every cigar-chomping, corporate outing cartballer's favorite hole, the 17th at Sawgrass.

2.  An atmosphere which is the epitome of CCFAD.

3.  Absolutely absurd routing which makes walking impossible.

4.  A slow play haven.

But you know?  It's a blast to play.  I mean, if you strip out the nonsense, you have 17 fun holes (the replica of some anonymous Medinah hole is instantly forgettable).  The greens have a ton of movement.  The bunkering is swell.  There is a lot of strategy and tons to think about. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »

Elton John is not a pleasure of any type.

Well Goodbye Norma Jean!   ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
Denver's City Park GC. Not much redeeming architectural value but I've almost always enjoyed a round there. It has a modicum of challenge with very small, sloped greens on several holes and a few decent holes interspersed with many mundane or bad ones. Great views of downtown Denver and the mountains too.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Brad Tufts

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
Poipu Bay...just good memories with family playing there, watched some good grand slam coverage on TV, and it's no doubt a pretty place.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back