News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Short Notice Golf Trip
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
I am going to have a few weeks off as I switch job and have gotten clearance from the tower tower to have a solo golf trip (most likely a few days midweek 2nd week of July).   Looking for ideas

- Continental US
- Looking to be able to play at least 36 holes per day
- Need to be able to get tee times on short notice
- Not a ton of driving between hotel and courses;  would prefer to have one hotel the entire time.
- dont want to pay a ton for a hotel

Bandon is the obvious choice;  is there anywhere else i should be considering
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:03:06 PM by Mark Johnson »

J_ Crisham

Re: Short Notice Golf Trip
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
Pinehurst is pretty hard to beat for solid golf. Lodging is affordable as well. Not a long drive from Raleigh, a little over an hour, which is pretty accessible. May be a bit toasty in July though.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
I just saw an email from Sandhills golf in the Pinehurst area for a 3 round-2 night package for $272 that involved Tobacco Rd., the Preserve at Jordan Lake, and UNC Finley...hotel is the Chapel Hill University Inn. 

7/1-8/31...not too bad!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matt MacIver

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
I just saw an email from Sandhills golf in the Pinehurst area for a 3 round-2 night package for $272 that involved Tobacco Rd., the Preserve at Jordan Lake, and UNC Finley...hotel is the Chapel Hill University Inn. 

7/1-8/31...not too bad!

I agree Pinehurst area could be ideal for its depth of courses, architects and cost...and that it could be really humid!  Note also I've seen packages and solo plays which include Dormie, so add that to #2 and the other numbered Ross courses, Pine Needles/Mid-Pines, T-Road and some of the privates (if you can access), makes the area very compelling. 

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »
Head to Pinehurst. Stay at the Pinecrest Inn. It won't be too crowded as it's generally pretty hot and humid there that time of year. You could play #2, Pine Needles, Dormie Club, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Mid-Pines, etc... all of those are public/resort.

Dinner or two at the Pine Crest, breakfast at the Track, a trip to Solid Gold and you've got yourself a hell of a weekend trip.   8)
H.P.S.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »
Go as far north as you can get. More daylight in July (in case tee times are in short supply) and less heat. Avoid areas where the biting fly population is at its peak.

William_G

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
I am going to have a few weeks off as I switch job and have gotten clearance from the tower tower to have a solo golf trip (most likely a few days midweek 2nd week of July).   Looking for ideas

no  ;)
It's all about the golf!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:12 PM »
Head to Pinehurst. Stay at the Pinecrest Inn. It won't be too crowded as it's generally pretty hot and humid there that time of year. You could play #2, Pine Needles, Dormie Club, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Mid-Pines, etc... all of those are public/resort.

Dinner or two at the Pine Crest, breakfast at the Track, a trip to Solid Gold and you've got yourself a hell of a weekend trip.   8)

Pat,
       I hear you loud and clear.
Pinecrest has a Dormie special
http://www.pinecrestinnpinehurst.com/packages/pine-crest-inn-presents-dormie-club

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
Mark, Less humid in western Nebraska. Prairie Club, Wild Horse, Bayside, Awarii Dunes,  (although Private will accommodate a stay and play pkg.)

And who knows, you might get onto at least one of the privates in the area? I can assist with two of the three.

Your hotel preference is not going to happen unless you prefer to just park it at one of those courses. But the drive times between all of them are reasonable enough where you can still play at least 36 a day, including the drives.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
In the heat of the summer, stay away from Pinehurst, go to Bandon iin Oregon or Whistling Straits (American Club in Kohler,Wisc)...both 4 course resorts, Bandon has better golf, the other is close to Milwakuee and some good golf there too. Bandon is tougher to get too, and probably less busy at that time of year (guessing)

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
If you did a west coast trip, you could fly into Seattle to play Chambers. Then mosey down to Bandon and spend 4-5 days there.

Then you'd have another week to head down the coast and play course like Pebble, Spyglass, Pasa, etc.

The weather will indeed be much nicer, and the sights nicer too....in my opinion of course on that 2nd bit!  ;)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Go to Michigan. Stays light until really late and won't be brutally hot. Traverse City has a ton of good golf.
Mr Hurricane

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
Mark,
   Go to Bandon, you won't be sorry. Adam's suggestion of Nebraska is a good one. There will be some driving involved, but it will be worth it. I live in Chapel Hill, NC and I wouldn't come here right now unless you have rain gloves (to deal with your soaking wet hands from the heat and humidity and plan to spend at least $30/day TRYING to stay hydrated. Bandon is the clear winner.
   One other suggestion would be a loop around Lake Michigan and you could check out Lawsonia, Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, Pilgrim's Run, Kingsley Club, Greywalls, and a few other courses I'm forgetting at the moment.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:52:45 PM »
In the heat of the summer, stay away from Pinehurst, go to Bandon iin Oregon or Whistling Straits (American Club in Kohler,Wisc)...both 4 course resorts, Bandon has better golf, the other is close to Milwakuee and some good golf there too. Bandon is tougher to get too, and probably less busy at that time of year (guessing)

July is peak season at Bandon, probably cheaper to go to the UK!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:38:52 AM »
As you said, Bandon is the obvious choice and if you have not been there, GO! But if you are looking for another idea, consider Atlantic City, NJ. You could play Atlantic City CC, both Seaview courses, Blue Herron Pine, Twisted Duned, Great Bay and probably get on Galloway.

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
If you live near Texas... you could go to Barton Creek or Horseshoe Bay in Texas.  Barton Creek is nicer, but Horseshoe Bay is cheaper.

Kiawah Island could be another choice, but usually expensive.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
Adding to my AC suggestion, I just heard that Shore Gate is worth playing.

http://www.shoregategolf.com/

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
Looking for ideas

- Continental US
- Looking to be able to play at least 36 holes per day
- Need to be able to get tee times on short notice
- Not a ton of driving between hotel and courses;  would prefer to have one hotel the entire time.
- dont want to pay a ton for a hotel

Mark

If you haven't been to Bandon I would recommend it - though it's a bit pricey in peak season ? one could maybe stay out of town and drive in to try and save on costs particulalry as a single ?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »
Mark, Less humid in western Nebraska. Prairie Club, Wild Horse, Bayside, Awarii Dunes,  (although Private will accommodate a stay and play pkg.)

And who knows, you might get onto at least one of the privates in the area? I can assist with two of the three.

Your hotel preference is not going to happen unless you prefer to just park it at one of those courses. But the drive times between all of them are reasonable enough where you can still play at least 36 a day, including the drives.

This one sounds pretty darn intriguing to me, especially with Mr. Clayman's offer.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Bandon either.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions all great ones..   Especially living in Minnesota, several of them are actually rather close to me.   Not sure of the exact date yet (still negotiating my start date).

Actually I think I am leaning towards the Western Nebraska options for a few reasons, most namely that i really wont have a legit opportunity to there for a while.  I've heard phenomental things about the area, love prairie style courses (and always wanted to play the prairie club) so it is definitely the lead option.  Adam, thanks so much for your generous offer once i know dates i will definitely reach out to you.

- Talked the reservations team at Bandon today and they are jammed for the first few July weeks and would be tough to get a tee time that would allow me to get in the amount of golf i would like for a bandon trip; it is even tough to get a United Flight there.  However, my new job will have me in northern california alot so there will be in the area with opportunities to make long weeks up to Southern Oregon

- Northern Michigan.   Love love love this area.  Learned to play golf in mid-michgan (Jackson) and my family has gone to the Gaylord and TC areas many times.   Love Arcadia, Treetops and Forest.

- Milwaukee.  Been to Kohler several times-- really like Whistling and Erin Hills; not that big of a fan of Blackwolf Run;   Biggest reason I would be going here is that wifey loves the American Club and would be upset if i was around there without her.

- Pinehurst:  Went to college in NC; no desire to go back in this heat

- Seattle:  Wifey and my favorite city to visit; cant go without her

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back