News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: Is it time for the Open to go back to Northern Ireland?
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
Bill - I believe it's known as the British Open in the USA, as Mark says it's the Open Championship

I know it is called the Open championship. My question is how might it be perceived in Ireland.
As the Open Championship? 

As a reminder that the lands upon which the Open Championships have been played have always been under royal "rule". Hey Mark, if you tell me that the Irish people would accept the Open coming to Northern Ireland, I think that would be great. I am just trying to learn.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 03:26:36 AM »
Bill,

The Irish members of the board may wish to comment but I'd be surprised if the Open was seen as signifying anything as emotive as that.  It wouldn't be anything like as emotive as the English football team playing in Belfast.  I can see a threat because any large world sporting event might be a target but not because the Open was seen as a particular symbol of anything.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:47 AM »
Bill - I believe it's known as the British Open in the USA, as Mark says it's the Open Championship

I know it is called the Open championship. My question is how might it be perceived in Ireland.
As the Open Championship? 

As a reminder that the lands upon which the Open Championships have been played have always been under royal "rule". Hey Mark, if you tell me that the Irish people would accept the Open coming to Northern Ireland, I think that would be great. I am just trying to learn.

75% of people in Northern Ireland would prefer to remain a part of the United Kingdom....

Northern Ireland is both a part of the United Kingdom and (the island of) Ireland.... If you come from the north, you are quite entitled and correct to consider yourself both British and Irish...

The biggest fault of most who view politics in Northern Ireland from afar is that they think of it from one side only (i.e The Republicans and IRA fighting for their whole country back).... Hollywood has a lot to answer for...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back