News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Question for Mike Young (re: Cattechee GC)
« on: July 19, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
Hi Mike,
Just got back from a swing of N. Ga golf and the highlight  was Cateechee!  Great job my friend, love that course.

Anyway,  really got a kick out of the 4th hole, which was an uphill dogleg right, and it reminded me very much of #10 at Royal St. Georges, the famous "Horizon hole".  Was #10 an inspiration for #4 at Cateechee is it just my imagination? .  Of course, the RSG hole does not dogleg like Catecchee, but the "Horizon effect" was spot on,  you could not IMHO have done a better job recreating the effect.

What a course, can't wait to play it again!

Eric Strulowitz

Mike_Young

Re: Question for Mike Young (re: Cattechee GC)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Eric,
Thanks for the comments on Cateechee.  I just wanted to do a skyline hole and that was a good place for it  That's about it  Was the course in good shape?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
Eric, how did you like the pipeline hole?   ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »

Is that a trick question?  The hole is.....well.....not my favorite. ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:38:15 PM »

Is that a trick question?  The hole is.....well.....not my favorite. ;D

I actually thought it was one of the best holes, had to hit a 4 wood over the pipeline and just left of the green. 

Link Walsh

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
Are you talking about #10?  Not the best piece of land to work with there, but it's a challenging hole. 

Love the course, especially the variety of the par 4s. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:26 AM »
My problem with #10 is how they required us to build up on the right side and it doesn't allow for a fair miss.  I'm ok with Cateechee except I wish we could have gotten permits to allow the green/tee walks to be closer on a few holes thus allowing for a reasonable walk.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:43:32 AM »
#4 is one of those holes that is so cool visually that it is hard to concentrate on the shot you are about to hit.  Feels like the top of the world.  Beautiful hole on a very good golf course.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »
I'm happy to see Cateechee getting some props. They are well deserved. A very, very good course. I only wish it was nearer to Atlanta.

Bob

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
Eric,
Thanks for the comments on Cateechee.  I just wanted to do a skyline hole and that was a good place for it  That's about it  Was the course in good shape?

The course tee to green was perfect.  Fairways lush, bunkers in great shpae.  The greens were overall quite playable, showing a bit of heat stress in some places.  But better than many courses in this area, it has been a terible summer for bent greens

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »

Hi Bill,

IF you are talking about #10, lost my ball the first round.  Had no idea what was lurking.  But second round, I got a par and my wife got a birdie.  Not a tough hole at all, if you know where to put the ball and what waits for you out of sight down that hill

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »
I'm happy to see Cateechee getting some props. They are well deserved. A very, very good course. I only wish it was nearer to Atlanta.

Bob

I wish it was closer to Atlanta too, it is indeed a bit of a drive, and the price of gas makes it less enticing.  It sits well as part of a distination trip, you have quite a few decent courses in the area including Clemson U Walker course, and Greenville less than an hour away.  Plus, there is a local public golf course in Hartwell, that is fun and sporty.

Cateeche has on site lodging and the restaurant on site is quite good. Thinking about a long weekend in the fall, staying at the club.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 09:11:40 AM »

Bob

I wish it was closer to Atlanta too, it is indeed a bit of a drive, and the price of gas makes it less enticing.  It sits well as part of a distination trip, you have quite a few decent courses in the area including Clemson U Walker course, and Greenville less than an hour away.  Plus, there is a local public golf course in Hartwell, that is fun and sporty.

Cateeche has on site lodging and the restaurant on site is quite good. Thinking about a long weekend in the fall, staying at the club.

The time I played Cateechee was part of a three day trip.  Flew into Atlanta, played Athens CC, spent the night, drove to Cateechee, played, drove to Greenville, spent the night, played Musgrove Mill, flew home.   The golf was all good, the evenings in Athens and Greenville were entertaining.   It was a good trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back