News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Least Interesting Bunkering in Major Championship Golf
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
The bunkers at Congressional are uninspiring and shallow.  Are they the least interesting set in Major Championship Golf?

Bart

Keith Doleshel

Re: Least Interesting Bunkering in Major Championship Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
Have to agree, although can't say that Torrey's are much more interesting.  Wonder what those two courses have in common? Hmmmm.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
Fairway bunkers are shallow. Greenside deeper but not cavernous. In person they are totally incongruous with the scale of the course. Would love to see some fairway bunkers that are placed in a manner other than parallel to the line of play.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Thanks Congo. I needed the nap.

Felt like a tour stop open?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »

Totally.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »

The U.S. Open Desert Classic?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »
It seemed like the presence of many fairway bunkers--surrounded by shorter-than-usual rough--gave players more of a chance than usual after off-line tee shots.  Let's remember that next year's venue has only one fairway bunker in 18 holes.  I have a funny feeling that scores are going to be pretty high at Olympic.

I was surprised at how vanilla a test Congo was in comparison to other US Open venues.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
Olympic Clubs bunkers are fairly lame.  They use to be lacy edge, beautiful bunkers but morphed into 1960 ovals and U shape bunkers when RTJ Sr. worked on the course prior to the 1966 Open.   When they rebuilt them a few years ago, they (the superintendent)decided to keep the ugly style.

Tim, I question how low the scoring will be next year.  Someone like Rory will only be able to hit driver 4 or 5 times per round.  The greens are so small that if he or someone else hits a lot of greens in regulation then they may make a lot of putts?

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27:19 AM »
The way Rory hit driver at Congo means he could probably hit driver a lot more than 4 or 5 times a round at Olympic.  Even though the greens are small, putts don't fall at Olympic like one would think.  Between green speeds and slope, nobody has historically made a whole lot of putts there in a US Open.  There is no doubt the rough will be grown out; the USGA can't enjoy seeing what Rory did in relation to par.  I still can't imagine a score like we saw this year.  I say -3 wins it, unless the committee is bound and determined to get back at everyone after this year's Open.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
There is no doubt Rees's bunkers are uninspiring, however they are easy to maintain; the sandy areas are all basically flat with a slight earthen berm in front. In an area that gets a dramtic thunderstorm every day around 3:00, these bunkers probably make alot of sense. How long would it have taken the grounds crew to reflash bunkers on Fri. to get players back out on the course?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »

Totally.

That was my thought also.  The bunkering didnt look penal at all.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back