News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: The Guard has Changed!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »
"Rory doesn't care for links golf."

He shot a 61 at Portrush in a brisk breeze in 61 strokes. .......he was 16 years old.

Bob

Tim Pitner

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Was ANYBODY talking about McIlroy as the next coming before Thursday last week? He has now won 3 tournaments as a pro. 3. He may win many but it is way too early to tell. Anyone remember Sergio Garcia in "99??

Sean,

I don't know about the second coming (there's some pretty crazy talk being bandied about), but Rory has been on the radar for awhile for anyone paying attention.  I recall watching him on TV playing in an Open Championship when he was about 17--I couldn't believe how good his swing looked and just how comfortable he appeared.  He's certainly special and has been for some time.  Bit premature to be predicting majors in the teens though.  He could have a great career and fall well short of that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:22:28 PM by Tim Pitner »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »
Was ANYBODY talking about McIlroy as the next coming before Thursday last week? He has now won 3 tournaments as a pro. 3. He may win many but it is way too early to tell. Anyone remember Sergio Garcia in "99??

I'm looking at his stats now.

2 Euro tour wins in 99', which at the time meant far little than they would now...

1 second place finish in a major, a far cry from Rory who has been in contention over the last 4 now.

"Nothing to see, move right along"   ;D

He also was 19 and turned pro that fall before....my point is that in 1999 who would have thought that Sergio wouldn't have won at least one major by now, if not more. Golf is a funny game.

Sean,

Yes you make a very good point in that respect.  There is no doubt Sergio was hailed as the Tiger beater, and it never panned out.

Even to this day its disheartening to see a guy who plays so well from Tee to green but just hasn't learned to master the flat stick.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29:23 AM »

Sean,

Yes you make a very good point in that respect.  There is no doubt Sergio was hailed as the Tiger beater, and it never panned out.

Even to this day its disheartening to see a guy who plays so well from Tee to green but just hasn't learned to master the flat stick.

The weird part is that back when Sergio came on tour, he putted great but didn't hit the ball well.  IIRC he was around 4th on tour in putting in his first few years, but only hit low to mid-60% GIR. 

He has pulled a complete 180.  Now he putts awful and hits it great.  Wonder why? 

Jordan Caron

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »
As good as these young guys are, no one is really wanting to take control.  Luke and Lee have been consistent but no one else has showed me they can dominate or continuously be there at the Majors.  Jason Day and obviously Rory seem to be the two guys who could very well dominate this game for years given there young age and tremendous talent.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »

Sean,

The weird part is that back when Sergio came on tour, he putted great but didn't hit the ball well.  IIRC he was around 4th on tour in putting in his first few years, but only hit low to mid-60% GIR. 

He has pulled a complete 180.  Now he putts awful and hits it great.  Wonder why? 

It's mental. You choose the greats by mental toughness. There are a lot of highly skilled players out there that don't win the big ones much, because they lack the mental toughness to do it.

That is why I pick Graeme McD for more majors over Kaymer, Shwartzel, and Oostwhatever.

Forget skills. Michelle Wie may be the most gifted female player, but the exercise she put herself through shot what mental toughness she may have had. This is why right now Ms. Tseng is headed to be the next Annika.

The breakdown of Tiger's putting is mostly mental after what he has been through.

Sergio likewise.

It's why Padraig has more majors than Sergio. It's why Lefty has fewer than he should.

Some people don't come fully pre-equiped with the mental toughness, but acquire it through experience. That is how Tom Watson did it. That is what may give Michelle Wie a bright future. That appears to me to be the road Rory is on.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back