News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Renaissance Club
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:24:25 AM »
I understand the Renaissance Club at Archerfield in Scotland won planning consent for the proposed new holes in the dune system down by the Firth of Forth. I've just posted something on the story on our site - I hope people will forgive the plug - see http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/New-holes-at-Renaissance-approved/2171/Default.aspx
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Renaissance Club
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »
Very good... Can we now talk about these plans?

Last time I visited, it was a straight swap of 1,2,3 for three new holes after the current 12th....

But I had the newer proposals explained to me which sound even better (loss of current 12th green aside)...

Anyone have a link to the planning docs?

Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:29 AM »
Thanks Adam,

Those 3 new holes by the coast have changed since I saw the original plans... By looking at the difference between the development and management boundaries, I'm presuming this was an environmental / permitting choice...

Either way, can't wait to see (hopefully) the new layout in operation one of these days...

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:37:17 AM »
I have one question.

1-3 go.
4-11 stay.
14-18 stay.
12 and 13 become one hole (more or less)
3 new holes are added.

As I count it that's only 17 holes.

I recall hearing something about a par three behind the 15th, playing to a new back tee for the 16th that would turn it into a par five. Is that part of this approval?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 05:58:30 AM »
I have one question.

1-3 go.
4-11 stay.
14-18 stay.
12 and 13 become one hole (more or less)
3 new holes are added.

As I count it that's only 17 holes.

I recall hearing something about a par three behind the 15th, playing to a new back tee for the 16th that would turn it into a par five. Is that part of this approval?

According to the plans Scott, that is exactly it... But note that 2 of the 3 new holes by the sea appear to be threes... So that's 3 of the 4 new holes in total...

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:28 AM »
Indeed, so holes with a par of 18 (1, 2, 3, 12 and 13) are replaced with holes with a par of 17 (new holes by the firth, new hole to the 13th green and new hole after the 15th) plus a shot added to the par of the 16th will leave the overall par as it is.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »
Indeed, so holes with a par of 18 (1, 2, 3, 12 and 13) are replaced with holes with a par of 17 (new holes by the firth, new hole to the 13th green and new hole after the 15th) plus a shot added to the par of the 16th will leave the overall par as it is.

It seems so... Still Par-71 but 9-5-4 instead of 11-4-3...

Simon Holt

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »
Finally!  

We got the approval last week just before our big Member Guest (hence my radio silence working 19 hour days!).  There were HUGE celebrations.  This has been a long, hard process but we are very proud of the way we have worked alongside the local authorities and national organisations; to reach a compromise that gives us some stunning new holes and protects the valuable primary dunes land that we have on our property was always our goal.  Other current projects in our country quite rightly made the authorities very protective.

The layout is going to be phased but Tom's guys will be running the show with their unique ability to perform golfing alchemy with what nature has already provided.  Paul Seago and his crew already have the course in incredible condition.  Our members played Carnousite, KB, Turnberry, Prestwick and Muirfield in the past 10 days and said we are in better condition.  We also had an assisstant pro over from Troon and he thought it was incredible.  

All credit to the greenstaff.  We had very high winds 2 weeks ago and a huge tree flattened a car with 3 of them in it as they were driving home.  They came away with their lives but were all injured,  That reduced our staff by 30% for the last 2 weeks and still with 7 guys the course is top notch.

I still feel it is Tom's place to talk about the routing but as the plans are out there I can say we will put it all into play in 2013.  We also break ground on the clubhouse on August 1st so exciting times indeed.  The two years should give the grasses time to mature and not be too far off the current playing conditions on the rest of the course.

The first 3 will sadly go but be retained as part of a world class practise facility.  

4 thru 11 will be 1 thru 8.  
Then we have a par 3 going towards Fife,
 an incredible 4 along the cliff,
a drop shot par 3 for the 11th,
a long uphill 4 for the 12th (from the middle of the current 12th fairway to the current 13th green),
14 becomes 13,
15 becomes 14,
then we have a par 3 in the area we have cleared between 9 and 10 as the 15th,
16 will be lengthened to be a reachable 5,
17 and 18 will be as they are.

Par 71, 5 par 3s, 4 par 5s

That is my boss' end goal but there may be changes and certainly phases to this.  An option I like personally is retaining 1-3 and just changing out our current 12 and 13 for a 3 and a 4 on the water.  Then play 14 from the now 13th tee thus making the hole angle change completely.

This will no doubt be phased in a way that has very little disruption to current play.  Its fantastic that virtually all the current greensites will be retained in one way or another.  The transition should be seamless as we will just change to the new routing overnight once the new holes have grown in.

I underline that the course we have now is outstanding.  I think it is vastly underrated due to how little we try to expose it and how little outside play there is.  In an ideal world everyone would play it- it is what it is though and these new changes will raise its profile even higher.  I truly hope that people are not so focused on the changes that they forget what a great job Tom and Don did in the first place.  It is a world class course today, it will be even better by 2013.

S

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »
The best of luck with the changes Simon.  Kind of a shame that you will lose your unique putting green/Tee 1 arrangement.  I liked those three holes too.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Simon Holt

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
Thanks Robin.  We will build a new green as part of the back tee on the 4th (new first) as we liked that aspect so much.  I will be really sad to see the current arrangement dropped though as it adjoins nearly all of the teeing areas not just the back tee.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 07:01:30 AM »
Really exciting news.  That land the new holes will be on looks exceptional.  I'm sad, though, that the current 12th green will go.  I thought that it was the culmination of a great run of holes at the start of the back 9.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Simon Holt

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
Mark,

Agreed.  12 will be a loss, as will 13 in its current form.  Especially as my boss is threatening to take my name off the hole in one board when the changes are made!!

What is it about 12 that you like?  Most love it for the views which I think the new par 3 and 4 will easily compensate for.  Others think the hole is over-rated for just that reason- it is all froth and no coffee.

I think that is a little harsh.  The framing off the hole is fantastic with the wall and the gnarled Scots Pines on the left.  The centre line bunker makes you think off the tee, and I love the huge amount of short grass off short and right of the green.  There are a plethora of exciting bump and runs and putter options from way off that green. 

The views from the green itself over to Elie and back to Edinburgh are incredible.

S

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
Simon,

When I played it, 12 was into the wind and required a long iron or even a utility approach (at least for me!)  I don't recall the centre line bunker really being in play for me but the green struck me as a very good green, requiring a well thought out approach.  As you say, plenty of things going on both on and around the green to get your attention.  The view was great, of course but presumably no better than will be had from the new par 4 along the cliff.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
The changes to the routing have been described accurately.

Ally, the final layout pulled back a bit out of the dunes at my suggestion.  When we cleared buckthorn at the council's request, we discovered that we had the great view toward Fidra lighthouse from further in that we had known ... it's right in front of you from the green of the new par-3 9th.  I knew that the opposition wanted to limit construction in the dunes and destruction of mosses in the marram out there, and figured if we pulled back to two holes, mostly where the buckthorn had been, the objections would have to go away.  Indeed, Scottish Natural Heritage dropped their objection to the plan after the change, and the council had no reason to deny us after that.

My original suggestion was just to replace the current 12th & 13th with the two new holes ... an easy and seamless change.  But, the clients wanted to gain more practice facility [which I think has a lot to do with wanting to host tournaments], wanted to add the "family loop", and wanted to get the first three holes out of the main course because they aren't as linksy as the rest.  It took several versions over a year and a half to arrive at the final plan, but I think all the changes will be for the better.  The new par-3 down the hill from the old 12th green is a tricky little hole, the new par-3 after the old 15th is a really good one over some nice rolling terrain, and the 16th as a short par-5 will be very reachable in two, but the bunkering will be much more in play from further back.  And the new 12th [combined from the old 12th fairway to 13th green] should be good enough ... I always liked that 13th green.

It is a shame to lose the old 12th hole, but no one will miss it when they see the par-4 along the clifftop which is replacing it.

Don Placek and Kye Goalby are headed over shortly to get started on the new work.  I'll be over in mid July to direct the new greens once everything is in place.

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
Might be nice to see some "before" pics. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
Well done everyone, looking forward to seeing how the project progresses.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Good luck, guys. Some pretty marvellous terrain to work with there!
Tom/Simon, what chance another 'Archidoakture' tour when TD is back this side?? I'd pay good money for that! ;D
cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back