News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Turner

Ballyliffin Glashedy??
« on: January 26, 2002, 08:47:22 PM »
What's this course like?

I played the Old course about a decade ago when it was touted by Nick Edmund in "Following the Fairways" as the Dornoch of Ireland (which it ain't), a couple of years before the Glashedy was built.  And looking at their website, it's quite staggering how much the place has changed in 10 years:  

Before you really felt at the end of the world, now it's completely geared for tourism with its swanky $2 million modern clubhouse and $80 green fees.

The few pictures I've seen of Glashedy range from promising to horrible (the par 3 off a cliff, with the pond).

So what's the verdict?  Does it approach Rosses Point, in terms of quality, or was it a missed opportunity?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Ran Morrissett

Re: Ballyliffin Glashedy??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2002, 07:02:22 AM »
The student of architecture will be disappointed as the use of a bulldozer is far more evident and heavy handed than at The European Club. Fairways appear to have been scalloped out with the soil used to create parallel mounds down the fairway sides. Paul, you would not confuse it with Colt's work at Sligo.

Still, Glashedy is a big course in a beautiful setting and when combined with its sister course and one of the few large practice areas in Ireland, there are plenty of reasons to go there - but architecture is down the list. Best of all, even by Ireland's own high hospitality standards, the people there are outrageously welcoming.

Paul Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2002, 07:36:14 AM »
Here's the clubhouse comparison!

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2002, 08:41:49 AM »
Paul

That photo of the old clubhouse brings back some great memories.  I haven't seen the new set up yet, but my father-in-law, who goes there every year, and who generally likes the Gleshedy says that the maintenance standards have fallen recently.

I'll always miss the Old course the way it was and particularly the old clubhouse.  Had a couple of magic moments in and outside there.........

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2002, 06:21:24 AM »
Ran has this pegged, right on, 100%.  I had a VERY VERY VERY enjoyable day there, to the extent that I really can't make a fair and honest assessment - the people were too nice, it is too beautiful there, the course is too fun... I am biased beyond belief.  

Wow is the current clubhouse NOTHING like this old one....

TH

GeoffreyC

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2002, 06:45:26 AM »
While the clubhouse may look cold and modern, the members make it feel warm and cozy.  What a friendly and MOST beautiful place.

Ran's comments are spot on about the golf.  I suppose Glashedy is somewhat of an opportunity lost but its not a bad course at all.  

The dropshot par 3 Paul referred too (ie- the worst hole on the course)

Note the rolling dunes behind the hole.  This is the kind of ground facing the player on the old course at Ballyliffin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2002, 06:55:59 AM »
Thanks for the pic, GC.  And yeah, that might be the worst hole on the Glashedy, but I am struck by the thought that transport that hole to about 50 courses here in the Bay Area and it becomes the BEST hole on the course....

I liked the Glashedy indeed.  Wish we had time to play the Old, we didn't.  The rain started pelting and the members were so damn fun in the bar, it was a rare occassion that more golf was NOT attempted - we were having too much fun as it was!

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back