News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: What is your golfing utopia?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »
Ally & Ken,

You beauties! I have never felt the "jolly golf" aura anywhere else that I feel when I'm on Brora. It isn't the grandest, toughest or best course by a long shot, but there is something about the golf there, the sum of its parts... that can't be beat. The locals are as friendly and engaging as any Scots I've had the pleasure of meeting. Special spot that Brora!

Cheers,
Kris

I almost hate to admit this, but one of the things about it that endears it to me the most is the effect the sheep have on the rough. While that effect has at times been bashed by those who think it takes the bite out of the course, I love a place where errant shots aren't an automatic penalty stroke.

FWIW, I think that every links I've played would be better--and more fun--if there were some sheep around to keep the rough a bit more playable.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jay Flemma

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 10:17:23 AM »
I've had days where I've felt the touch of the Golf Gods - where it felt like the rest of the world had melted away - at Bulls Bay, MPCC Shore Course, NGLA, and Pasatiempo.  I also felt it the day I played with my dad when he played golf for the first time after he recovered from quadruple bypass at the age of 78.

I also felt the touch of the Golf Gods the day Phil fell out of the sky with an Almighty Crash at Winged Foot, but in a much different way.  That's the most awful thing I've seen in golf.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
Pretty sure mine will be Wolf Point, once I make it down there. Hopefully won't be too much longer.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Stearns

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
The Golf Club.  May not be near an ocean, but nothing can intrude on an afternoon of golf there.

Charlie Visconsi

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
NGLA.  Southsides on the porch.  Dinner to follow. Staying in the clubhouse and hanging out late night in the library with the picture of MacDonald looking down at you. 

Tim Bert

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »
First out and last off the course at any of my favorites.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Pretty much any round with my 12 year old son...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:07:38 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JWL

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »
As long as I am dreaming.......how about Augusta National late on a Sunday afternoon in perfect sunshine and long shadows hearing the roars of the crowd from inside the ropes, in my head......I can only imagine.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
I am going to show my ignorance here.
I have been to Sand Hills twice, but am unaware of the "church nine"..description..please explain.
As Sand Hills in the waning sun would certainly be amongst my utopia's, perhaps this will aid me in deciding which is actually my Utopia?

Amongst similar time of day at Ballyneal, early morning at Western Gailes, playing through a misty morning at Merion, anytime of day at Cypress.....simply too many to choose just one.

You described it perfectly.  It's the final nine of day, just yourself and the golf course, with the waning sun and shadows flowing across the terrain.  It's almost surreal.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tim Martin

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
Pretty much any round with my 12 year old son...

Jud-Right on the money. Every time I play with my 15 year old son Jack is beyond special.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
To be able to play without pain.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
I like golf.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:23:32 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
I found my golfing utopia just this Sunday afternoon at Mass.  As always we arrive fashionable late and enter the church with my family leading the way.  Oddly enough, I have stunning offspring and a spouse who I still enjoy walking behind as she chooses a proper pew for our weekly worship.  For those not familiar, a solely American ritual of the Catholic Church is to kneel and say a small prayer at the beginning of Mass.  Enter the Devil.  Off to my left, not three rows forward, kneels two thighs attached to the finest ass every created by our Holy Trinity.  I think they may have brought in a consultant on this one.  God's little wonder sits 60 degrees off port directly in line with my wife as she entered the pew first.  As is how the Devil does, he only presents a situation and lets us choose our course.  My course was the 18 holes I had played that morning.  A utopic distraction starting at the first tee.  Soon I was back in the field of play reliving shot after shot with Christ as my caddy whispering in my ear to keep my head down and don't go, uh look, left.  I often find my most enjoyable moments on the course are days like these when memories of golf get me through difficult times.

John-After a post like that I believe that when you rise up the almighty may give you another glance or better at his creation of which you so artfully described. It`s commentary like that that makes a Monday a tad easier.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
My now annual golf trip with my dad in Florida. The memories and laughs (17th hole at Sawgrass last year) trump the golf.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark McKeever

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
"The greatest game ever played"   ;)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 03:24:24 PM »
"The greatest game ever played"   ;)

Mark

+1
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back