News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Carlson

Re: Arcadia Bluffs, Crystal Downs and Forest Dunes
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »

Notches is one way to look at it.  But what a great opportunity to see such fine courses.  If you have read the books by MacKenzie, Ross, Macdonald, Thomas, Doak etc., it naturally piques the interest of one interested in fine architecture.  I also hope to many of their best examples some day.  It just happens that many of them are not easily accessible.

Mike, thanks for sharing your Michigan trip and good luck on your journey.

Sean Leary

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 01:27:03 PM »
I think its funny that this poor guy is getting killed after playing 3 top courses, just because a GCA fave wasn't one of them.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
I think its funny that this poor guy is getting killed after playing 3 top courses, just because a GCA fave wasn't one of them.

He drank the Kool-Aid, but not the right flavor.

David Camponi

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »
Mike is the very definition of access whore, don't take that the wrong way as I am one too.   I would rather bang The fat Kardashaian than a chick who looks just like Heidi Klum, that way I could brag to my buddies I banged a celeb, they would have to take my word on the Heidi look a like, who wants that.

FYI Kingsley is incredible, FD and Arcadia are not, getting on CD is not that difficult should have changed ur tee time. I don't fault u in not listening to the treehouse as they will steer u in the wrong direction, this was not one of those times. Hell I went Wild Horse expecting Sand Hills light, walked away pissed even though it was a good muni.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »

Especially given that he went to two PUBLIC courses instead of asking for access to a private club! If he was going after the GCA Top 100 no one would think anything of it!

Kingsley is amazing by the way--I definitely preferred it to Arcadia, which is still well worth traveling to play.

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
We've all got a bit of a post-notcher in us to some extent.  Hell, I even joined a club once partially because of it (not the best of criteria by the way).  I think the denigration of the post-notching concept comes more from ticking off boxes for the sake of ticking off boxes and bragging rights at the expense of seeking out some off-the-run courses that might be more enjoyable and interesting for ones tastes and game. This is in no means a judgement of Mike either.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Choi

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
I don't fault u in not listening to the treehouse as they will steer u in the wrong direction

Hmmm... if that is what you believe, why are you still here?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
I would rather bang The fat Kardashaian than a chick who looks just like Heidi Klum,

You know how I know you're gay...
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David Camponi

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »
Cause ur gay and your gaydar is super strong?  ;)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2011, 09:45:11 PM »
Do you still like Coldplay?

All 40-Year Old Virgin jokes aside, this thread brings up an interesting point about prestige, rankings and bucking the trend.  There are two kinds of people (obviously this is a generalization), those that want to eat at all of the Zagat's top-rated spots, and those who want to "discover" the hidden gem around the corner that blows all the rated places away.  The first group go about it their way because they've been told those are the best restaurants.  The second goes about it their way, for the most part, because they want to be the ones doing the telling.  Every once in a while those in the second group are on to something.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »
JC (DBS)

Do you know something I don't? :-\

Dan

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
Do you still like Coldplay?

All 40-Year Old Virgin jokes aside, this thread brings up an interesting point about prestige, rankings and bucking the trend.  There are two kinds of people (obviously this is a generalization), those that want to eat at all of the Zagat's top-rated spots, and those who want to "discover" the hidden gem around the corner that blows all the rated places away.  The first group go about it their way because they've been told those are the best restaurants.  The second goes about it their way, for the most part, because they want to be the ones doing the telling.  Every once in a while those in the second group are on to something.

I'm sure Kinglsey and the rest are very good - maybe even great courses.  But Crystal Downs is among a handful of truly special courses/places in all of golf, and is why it's annually regarded among the top 10-20 in the country.  I look forward to my return visit.

WW

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
This is a bit off topic, but I seem to be missing something here. Everyone says the OP should have ditched Arcadia or Forest Dunes for Kingsley, but is Kingsley not a private golf course? Why does it seem so widely assumed that he could have simply arranged a game there?  I understand that the OP, having the means to arrange a game at CD likely had contacts at Kingsley as well, but I don't see how such access should be taken as a certainty.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Sven, you're so sophisticated. Give the guy a break. Arcadia is a beautiful place that is worth visiting. Re-read your 9:45 post and tell me that you don't cringe.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jud_T

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
Mark,

They've been known to allow the odd guest.  As long as you're not wearing green&white, a sandbagger or dissing the guy who keeps the finest playing surface this side of GB&I you should be good.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
JC (DBS)

Do you know something I don't? :-\

Dan

Well, you know Dan, every old horse at some point needs to be lead out to pasture..... ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
Mark,

They've been known to allow the odd guest.  As long as you're not wearing green&white, a sandbagger or dissing the guy who keeps the finest playing surface this side of GB&I you should be good.

Phew, I only meet 2 of those three.  Once you work on your reading comprehension Mr. Moneyman, you'll see I was paying compliment to Senor Lucas; about whose playing conditions I completely agree.  Now, with respect to his inability to close me out and allow himself to be devastated on the 18th green, that he could use some work on.

By the way, should we pick our 3 clubs in advance and advertise to the masses; or are you going to break down in tears on the practice range and demand to play with 14 clubs?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:16:14 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
Driver, Rescue, 7-iron...

JC Jones

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »
At present we are looking at rescue, pitching wedge, putter.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 10:26:45 PM »
Dan

No worries he wears pink nuff said and no JC it's not salmon.

JC Jones

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
Brad, you bonzai mothertrucker, are you coming up this summer for another beatdown?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back