News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

What do you think of these bunkers?
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
This is from Ran's review of Charlotte CC.  I believe the three bunkers front left of the hole look odd and monotonous.  Perhaps this is Ross's version of a church pew bunker?

I've never been to Charlotte and alas have never seen the course, but this bunker feature caught my eye and I'm curious to hear opinions from those who have seen and played the course.

Are these bunkers in play?

Why put three bunkers together that look exactly the same?

Is there another example where Ross has done this?

Adrian_Stiff

Re: What do you think of these bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
Look at bit new to me Jordan but not nasty, they might mellow with age and look better with longer grass around them perhaps.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
Sometimes architects build 3 bunkers in such a close fashion so they play as 1 hazard. I would say the choice to make them look so similar is shaping/style decision... not necessarily a bad one, but one I wouldn't repeat to often on the same course.

This is a photo of the main hazard off the 15th tee at Century Country Club in NY which has a had a number of architects over the years including Tillinghast, Colt and Allison, and I'm 90% Gil Hanse did the latest renovation... certainly look like his work anyways with the ring of fescue on the edges, flashing and the shaping of the low sides..

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »
I think the photo compresses the distance a little. In person, they fit pretty well into the topography - and from all evidence they accurately depict Ross's design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back