News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gerrish

Re: Friar's Head
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
It was a "profession tilting" experience for me.  Well worth the trip.

I got two holes in taking photos, then got reprimanded by the caddy.  We should all be foot raking the bunkers. 

John Sabino

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02:18 AM »
Jim - I don't think it's better than Shinnecock or National, although it is a fantastic golf course. I also personally wouldn't rank it as Coore/Crenshaw's best, I think Sand Hills deserves that distinction. There are a couple of holes that are standouts, the par three 10th and the back to-back-14th and 15th. The visual comparisons to Cypress Point are apt.

To answer your question, yes, it is difficult to get on, so if you get the opportunity to play it my advice would be to jump at it. Yes, it is worth flying across the country to play.

I wrote about Friar's Head a couple of years ago and took some cool pictures, see below. Would love to go back and see the now completed Great Gatsby clubhouse.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2008/01/friars-head.html

John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »
Jim,

Friars Head is well worth a trip to Long Island. The routing alone is worth studying.  The rest is up there with Coore and Crenshaw's best work, no doubt.

I would second a few on here that mentioned you should also play a few other courses while around, but I would personally do everything I could to play it, even if it was thew only course I could fit in my trip.  It is that good.  Better than Shinnecock?  That's a tough call, depending on what you like.  But certainly in the top clubs in the US.

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
FH is worth the trip. The east end of Long island is worth the trip and I am sure you could find some other places to play. Sebonack would rank up there too. Shinny, NGLA in my top 5, FH and Sebonack in my top 20.

Sand Hills is C&C's best.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back