News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Did Tillinghast design a mediocre or poor golf course ?
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
Barry,

I liked Dellwood.

There were a few holes that were either new or redesigned, but, I liked the golf course, it was unique and fun to play.

I played it recently and concur with Pat. Jim Urbina has been retained and has already done some work on the outward nine.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »
Re: Tillinghast in "Coal Country"

Here is my previous thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14537.0.html

I have not played Irem Temple or Valley but I'm planning to do so this summer. Wyoming Valley, although not rated in the Top 20 in PA,is definitely a fun course to play.

A few of these coal country clubs are on my reciprocal list and I managed to play Wyoming Valley last summer with a secret agent.  Very neat golf course as Steve said.  I felt like I was playing golf in Vermont or New Hampshire a few times.  They have a really solid drop shot par 3.

There's 2 or 3 others on my list to play this year.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Niall Hay

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
One you really don't hear much about on a national level is Golden Valley G&CC in Golden Valley, MN. Despite the not-so-great name, the golf course is just awesome and would be enjoyed by many on here. Really severe greens, awesomely deep and penal bunkering, and really neat fairway contouring...it's a tough but fun golf course. Currently it's on the GW "top 200" classic list.

Speaking of AWT in Minnesota, what about RGCC in Rochester? How much of AWT is left there? It used to be very highly rated in MN behind only Hazeltine and Interlachen.

Niall Hay

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
Tilly built Rochester Country Club in Rochester, MN.

It opened for play in 1927.

Unfortunately, a 15 year tree planting program began in the 30s. More unfortunatley was the choice of trees - pines. They liked the pines so much they planted 30,000 of them and incorporated one of them into their logo.

The pines line the fairways, narrow the playing field, and make escape shots difficult.

Click on the website. The two photos that scroll-through on the main page tell you everything you need to know: http://www.rgcc.org/

Wasn't Sheldon the planters name?

Niall Hay

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »
Morgan,

Absent the trees, what's the quality of the architecture, the course ?

Its a really fun golf course, ton a very good holes.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Morgan,

Absent the trees, what's the quality of the architecture, the course ?

Patrick, I can answer that. The quality of Rochester G&CC is outstanding. I have seen it ranked among Minnesota's top 5 courses several times. While I wouldn't put it quite that high, there are no weak holes at Rochester. I've recently learned that the tree planting was done with Tillinghast's approval, though he may not have intended for the forests to become quite as thick as they are now.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kyle Harris

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »
Valley CC is really special.

Pat, the first green at Valley CC once piqued your interest from a picture I posted a few years ago.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Valley CC is really special.

Pat, the first green at Valley CC once piqued your interest from a picture I posted a few years ago.

Kyle,

Could you post it again.

Thanks

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
Pat

Re: Valley CC

Courtesy of The Bausch Collection

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Valley/index.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 01:32:28 AM »
RE: Scarsdale GC

I feel compelled to come to the defense of Scarsdale as I have deep family roots there. I would describe the golf course as "sporty".

As Tom Doak pointed out some properties are more challenging than others. Scarsdale, in my opinion, would be high on that list. There are three very abrupt par threes either uphill or downhill that facilitate transitions around the property that otherwise would have been near impossible. The rocky terrain and severe undulations of the land also have led to a routing that provides an unfortunate quantity of blind shots. Not a fun place to play if unfamiliar with the course.

I may get severely flamed on this one but one Tilly course I thought was rather ho-hum and forgettable was Philly Cricket's Flourtown layout. Admittedly, this was many years ago and that nearby Llme mine makes for some fantastic grass!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:38:42 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back