News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ross Tuddenham

Re: Scotland at last
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »
Terry

Last summer when I was in St Andrews and I had played a morning round on TOC and went over to the starters hut for the New to ask if there were any afternoon times I could have after my lunch.  Thy starter told me they didn't make reservations and I should just come back when I wanted to tee off.  I think I came back around 14.00 and the starter had a time for me and my partner.  This was around late august, so maybe it is different earlier in the summer.

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »
Terry,
    It sounds like your trip will be much like my maiden voyage across the pond. We started out down in England at a GCA gathering, then I headed solo up north. Started at Murcar, then on to Dornoch (36 holes there is a must, and Stan Dodd is outstanding company), Cruden Bay, TOC, Elie, North Berwick. Dornoch, North Berwick, and TOC are the must plays, everything else is gravy and there is plenty to choose from. I don't know what sort of accomodations you are looking for, but for the budget-minded I found three hostels on this trip that were all owned by the same company and all were very much worth the 12 pounds. The locations are Inverness(perfect location for the trip up to Dornoch from Aberdeen, one in St Andrews, and the last in Edinburgh. You really can't go wrong on your first trip to Scotland so just enjoy it. Don't worry about the naysayers who think you should hunker down and just stay in one area. I had no problem getting around between rental car and trains. Rental car from the Aberdeen, Dornoch, Cruden Bay loop. Train the rest of the time.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
Terry

These are the only must sees for mine

Dornoch
Cruden Bay
St Andrews
N Berwick

Terry Thornton

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
Ross,
Thanks, that was what I was supposing. The first block of dates suits much better so I think we'll chance it

Hi Ed,
With 2 of us to share the driving, no wallabies and plenty of daylight I'm not concerned about the car travel

Kevin,
Those + Royal Aberdeen are the non-negitiables for me also.

This was so much easier when Mr Summerell was doing the organising!! (fun though)

Eoin Riddell

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
Terry,

If you do venture as far north as Dornoch give me a call and we could sort out a game. If you are this far north Brora is not to be missed!

Eoin
RDGC
Course Manager

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
Terry,

If Royal Aberdeen is ahead of Muirfield on your list, there's a problem with your list.  As a first four essentials, I think Kevin's list has a lot going for it (not the best four courses in Scotland but perhaps the most essential), there are better shouts for fifth on that list, IMHO.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Bennett

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
Mark Pearce beat me to it.

I would definitely, absolutely include Muirfield in my list Terry.

It might cost 200 pounds for the day, but it is a course which you will continue to think about for many a year.  It exceeded my expectations.

Of the courses that I have been priviliged to play and/or see over recnt years, Muirfield is in that part of the list that is really special, just like Dornoch, TOC and North Berwick West.

I haven't seen Cruden Bay.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Terry Thornton

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »
Mark/James,

These 5 are my chosen musts for this trip. My travelling companion isn't currently able to do a whole day at Muirfield so I'm saving it til next trip.

Eoin,
cheers, will definitely be in dornoch, I'll send you a email
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:13:24 AM by Terry Thornton »

Terry Thornton

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:37 AM »
Only 3 more sleeps til my new gca carry bag and I swap hemispheres for 5 weeks. There have been some minor changes to the order of things than originally envisaged, getting more unobstructed time at St Andrews being the main plus.

Begin with a meet up with Niall Carlton at Duff House Royal, a quick trip to Royal Aberdeen then to Dornoch for 3 nights, meeting up with Mr Dodd and hopefully Mr Riddell.

5 nights at St Andrews follow, fortunately we arrive Sunday afternoon so a walk across TOC beckons, may do the reverse to totally do my head in!!
Will be relying on the daily ballot to give us TOC experience. Then besides other Links Trust courses will be looking at courses within an hour’s drive or so for the multi plays in a day. Have to get a photo of myself at Thornton GC.

Very fluid ‘plans’ to catch up with Mr Bonnar and Mr Goodale during this week, then  a day ticket at North Berwick June  24, June 25 set aside to take in the sights of Edinburgh.

June 26 sees us at Carnoustie Burnside, staying that evening at a B&B adjacent to the course. June 27 is a biggie, Carnoustie Championship in the morning and Montrose with Richard Phinney in the afternoon, then drive on to Boddam.

Our last 4 nights are in Boddam, playing Cruden Bay June 28, Moray maybe June 29 with Niall and Royal Aberdeen again June 30.

July 1 I catch up with the bride in Milan for the second half of my vacation.

Have seen forecast temperatures as high as 16C and rain chance as low as 20% for the first 10 days, not going to be a huge climatic adjustment from an Adelaide winter.

Taking into account my very not tech-savvy abilities and my procrasinatel (pretty sure that’s not a word, when I can be bothered I’ll look it up) tendencies I shall do a post-trip report in the fullness of time.

Thank you again to everyone who has offered advice and beyond, look forward to seeing those of you whose paths we cross

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »
Bloody hell, I'm exhausted just reading about it! ;D

Have a great time, Terry. I hope the weather gods are good to you. You're in for some incredible experiences.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:32 AM »
Thanks Scott, have had a permanent grin for the last few days as departure approaches.

A late question I'd forgotten about re TOC ballot.

How many days beforehand can you ring to put your names down for a specific day? e.g. can I ring now to enter the June 20 ballot?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back